Old December 18th 03, 05:40 AM
Gavin Jacobs

Default Trouble getting started

I am trying to get started in shortwave, but I'm having trouble coming out of the chute. I recently dusted off a 13 year old stereo
and discovered that it was also a shortwave receiver. It is a Sony model FH-E727CD that combined CD/Cassette/Radio in an apartment
style enclosure. I tried hooking up the speakers and antenna and I can get the local AM and FM stations just fine, but I can't get
any SW at all. I live in Calgary and according to several web sites there is a station just south of hear that transmits at 6030 (eg
http://www.mindspring.com/~ttmdoc/canadianchallange.htm ), but I can't hear anything decipherable; just noise. I have a small loop
antenna that came with the radio. If I disconnect the antenna I get absolutely nothing; but with the antenna connected I get
background noise on all frequencies. So, what should I try next to get more stations?

Thanks,
Gavin

Old December 18th 03, 11:05 AM
N8KDV

Gavin Jacobs wrote:

[...]

Well, CFVP is apparently still using 6030 with 100 watts. If you can't get *any* stations on shortwave then you might look into repair
of that radio, or the purchase of a new one altogether.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old December 18th 03, 11:26 AM
Diverd4777

In article , N8KDV
writes:

I tried hooking up the speakers and antenna

how much antenna did you hook up ?? It should be around 30 feet of wire
set away from other applances to be effective..

Old December 19th 03, 05:41 AM
WShoots1

What shortwave fequencies are covered? You may be trying to listen to a part of
the spectrum during the wrong time of day.

Bill, K5BY
Old December 19th 03, 07:31 PM
Gavin Jacobs

Thanks for all the tips so far.

N8KDV If you can't get *any* stations on shortwave then you might look into
repair
of that radio, or the purchase of a new one altogether.
GBJ I did manage to get WWV at 10.00 MHz and a few other stations very
faint.
GBJ I also ordered a new radio.

Diverd4777 how much antenna did you hook up ?? It should be around 30 feet
of wire set away from other appliances to be effective..
GBJ A very rough guess would be 10 - 20 feet of wire wrapped in a
rectangular plastic housing provided by Sony; with about 4 feet to connect
to the receiver. I can't get at the wire itself (to count the number of
loops) without breaking the plastic. From the websites I have seen, this is
probably insufficient.

GBJ I have the loop hanging from a ceiling hook, so it is well removed from
any other electrical device.

WShoots1What shortwave frequencies are covered? You may be trying to listen
to a part of
the spectrum during the wrong time of day.
GBJ The radio will scroll (scan?) through all frequencies from 5 to 17 MHz.
It only locks on to a few frequencies that have a buzzing (??) sound. I have
made my attempts in the evening (9 - 12 PM MST; we are GMT-7, so I think
that span is 04 - 07 UCT)

Gavin

Old December 21st 03, 12:05 AM
RHF

GJ,

Does the Sony FH-E727CD have any other Antenna Terminals beside
the two that you are using for the simple AM/MW/BCB Loop Antenna ?
- If it does, then read the labeling on them and use then.

NOTE: Many of this type of multi-function entertainment Radio,
CDs, ETC use the A/C Power Cord as an FM Antenna.

FIRST Try This: A 'simple' FM/TV (300 Ohm) Twin Lead Folded Dipole Antenna.
- It-Looks-Like-A "T".
- Here are some Links:
http://www.northcountryradio.com/Articles/fmdip.htm
http://www.wfu.edu/~matthews/misc/dipole.html
http://makeashorterlink.com/?O5D126DD6
http://kalx.berkeley.edu/recept/antsurvy.htm
http://www.kgnu.org/howtohear/antenna.html
http://arista-20-2590-folded-dipole-...epot-shop.com/
- Connect it to the Antenna Terminals on the radio used by the Loop Antenna.
- Stretch it out up the wall with the "Arms" 'spread-out' like a "T".
? ? ? Does your overall reception improve on AM? FM? and SW???

SECOND: Read Message #209 on the SWL Antennas and AM & FM eGroup
on YAHOO! "Two InDoor "Hidden" SWL Antenna Ideas"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/209
- - - Both are Low Cost and 'easy' to Make and Set-Up.

iane ~ RHF
..
..

Old December 30th 03, 09:12 AM
Steve Silverwood

In article U4bEb.102677$bC.28176@clgrps13,
says...
I am trying to get started in shortwave, but I'm having trouble coming
out of the chute. I recently dusted off a 13 year old stereo and
discovered that it was also a shortwave receiver. It is a Sony model
FH-E727CD that combined CD/Cassette/Radio in an apartment style
enclosure. I tried hooking up the speakers and antenna and I can get
the local AM and FM stations just fine, but I can't get any SW at all.
I live in Calgary and according to several web sites there is a
station just south of hear that transmits at 6030 (eg
http://www.mindspring.com/~ttmdoc/canadianchallange.htm ), but I can't
hear anything decipherable; just noise. I have a small loop antenna
that came with the radio. If I disconnect the antenna I get absolutely
nothing; but with the antenna connected I get background noise on all
frequencies. So, what should I try next to get more stations?

I would start by putting a longer-wire antenna on the receiver, and
putting it outside if at all possible. As a rule of thumb: the higher
the antenna, and the longer the wire, the better your reception will be.

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS
Fountain Valley, CA
Email:

Please visit the following sites:

American Shortwave Listening Club (ASWLC)

Southern California Area DXers
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scads

Pro-43 Trouble Update Bo Harris Scanner 0 November 11th 04 11:08 AM
Yeasu ATAS-120 trouble WG Antenna 1 September 26th 04 03:58 PM
dual cb antenna is it worth the trouble [email protected] Antenna 4 July 20th 04 06:34 PM
Getting started in MW DXing Michael Holme Shortwave 19 July 18th 04 06:49 AM