Old November 3rd 04, 07:29 AM
Kachina 78

Default Par Electronics EF-SWL

I'm going to wind up installing this antenna horizontaly. I'm wondering what
grounding configuration those of you who have this antenna are using? Good
DXing to you, Gary,
Old November 3rd 04, 06:32 PM
the captain

for those of you who want this antenna but can't afford its over $50
price. RFJUNKIE on ebay has his own version for $22 !!!

his products work !

Old November 4th 04, 02:40 AM
Dale Parfitt

"Bill" wrote in message
m...
(Kachina 78) wrote in message

I'm going to wind up installing this antenna horizontaly. I'm wondering

what
grounding configuration those of you who have this antenna are using?

Good
DXing to you, Gary,

I'd like to add a question to this post, if I may. My EF-SWL is on
backorder. I have heard that there are two different reception
characteristics depending on horizontal or sloping installation. Can
anyone tell what the suggested angle of the sloper installation is,
and what the direction of best reception is in each? Thanks!
Bill

There are antenna patterns included with the manual showing patterns for
sloper and horizontal vs. frequency. Because the patterns change with
frequency, there is no optimal slope angle. If you have a particular
installation in mind, E-Mail us and we'll genrate plots vs. frequency
We're shipping backorders as fast as we can- 45+ will go out this week.
As a side not, these antennas use #14 polyethylene coated Flex Weave-
arguably the most expensive antenna wire available- 130 starnds of #38 from
memory, then a high density poly jacket ( not vinyl as is usually
encountered) is extruded over the wire. The binocular core 9:1 transformer
is housed in a custom molded ABS ( UV stable) box with all stainless
hardware and silver/teflon UHF connector. Both secondary and primary
transformer grounds are available separately for optimal grounding.

--
Dale W4OP
for PAR Electronics, Inc.

Old November 4th 04, 02:41 AM
Dale Parfitt

"the captain" wrote in message
om...
for those of you who want this antenna but can't afford its over $50
price. RFJUNKIE on ebay has his own version for $22 !!!

his products work !

You get what you pay for.

Old November 4th 04, 03:36 PM
Charlie B.

RFJUNKIE on ebay has his own version for $22 !!!

his products work !

You get what you pay for.

I agree. I use the RF-SWL with both my Drake R8B and my Icom R75.
I use it indoors as I live on the forst floor of a brick
apartment building where managment is always going aroung checking for
anythin outaide that isn't permitted.
I used sekf adhesive picture hools aroun the 2 outside walls and ran
the antenna around them, then back a short distance to the end wher I
used a regular hook for the can.
For grounding I used ordinary tan (to match the paint on the walls)
dopper
stranded hookup wire to a cold water pipe using an automotive hose
clamp.

Tgis setup is very quiet and works terrific.

Complements to Par for a very nice product.

Charlie B.
Essex, Maryland (Near the Chesapeake Bay)
SWLing since 1958 (WPE2CKN 1961)
UTE and Broadcast Monitoring
Drake R8B ICOM R75
SONY ICF-2010
and Semi Retired
Hallicrafters S38E
Bational BC-105 with EICO Preselector
PAR EF-SWL antenna
Old November 4th 04, 04:13 PM
the captain

that is the most stupid thing I have ever heard.

have you heard the terms:

ripoff
great value
piece of junk

you don't always get what you pay for !!!!!

look at many american cars !!!!

Old November 4th 04, 11:03 PM
the captain

you agree with what ???????

if you haven't tried the other product how do you know its not better ?????

Old November 4th 04, 11:16 PM
the captain

so tell me us how your $10 worth of parts is worth $59 and his $5
worth of parts is not worth $20. we are not talking about an
automobile that requires a billion dollars of engineering.

he is using simple readily available parts to keep costs down and is
doing a service to people who don't want to spend a fortune on
somebodies high profit spread. he offers VALUE.

your Jealousy is quite disturbing. he is an intelligent person doing a
great service to the people who can't afford $59 for an antenna. I
think you owe him an apology to put down his product without even
trying it !!!
I have a friend who has the EF-SWL and the RFJUNKIE product and it
performs NO BETTER than the RFJUNKIE product at a lot less money.

I recommend his stuff to everyone who needs a good antenna. his design
is a proven one.

Old November 7th 04, 02:08 PM
RHF

= = = (Kachina 78) wrote in message
= = = ...

I'm going to wind up installing this antenna horizontaly.
I'm wondering what grounding configuration those of you who
have this antenna are using? Good
DXing to you, Gary,

GARY,

PAR Electronics EF-SWL Antenna
POPCOM=
http://www.popular-communications.co...landOct04.html
MT= http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/mt2003reviews.html
eHAM= http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3707
PAR= http://www.parelectronics.com/swl_end.htm
UR= http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/sw_ant/2205.html
GE= http://www.grove-ent.com/ANT8.html

IF - You are using the Par EF-SWL Antena with your House as the
Near-End-Support for the Horizontal [Flat] Antenna and the Coax
Cable Feed-in-Line is less-than 25 Feet. Then connect the
Primary (Antenna) Ground and the Secondary (Coax) Ground together.

IF - You are using the Par EF-SWL Antena with a 'remote'
Near-End-Support that is away from your House for the Horizontal
[Flat] Antenna and the Coax Cable Feed-in-Line is more-than 25 Feet.
Then keep the Primary (Antenna) Ground and the Secondary (Coax)
Ground "Separate". Install a Ground Rod and Ground Wire at the
'base' of the 'remote' Near-End-Support point and use it for the
Primary (Antenna) Ground. The Secondary (Coax) Ground will be
'grounded' via the Shack/Radio's Grounding-Point.

TIP - Configure the Antenna's Wire Element in an Inverted "L"
Shape. If, you are using the Par EF-SWL Antena with a 'remote'
Near-End-Support that is away from your House. Install a Ground
Rod and Ground Wire at the 'base' of the 'remote' Near-End-Support
point and use it for the Primary (Antenna) Ground. Leave a Foot
of the 8 Foot Ground Rod above ground. Mount the Par's Matching
Transformer directly on the Ground Rod. Run the Antenna Wire
Element UP Vertically 15-20 Feet and then OUT Horizontally 25-30
Feet.

Here are two Messages to READ:
* Par Electronics EF-SWL" End-Fed Shortwave Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/277
* Setting-Up a Par EF-SWL Antenna with a 'portable' Shortwave
Radio using an External Antenna 1/8" Mono-Jack Input.
..
..
iane ~ RHF
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night . . .
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond - The Beyond !
..
..