Old November 7th 04, 11:16 PM
av

Default TEN-TEC RX-320 Mac software?

Can I ask a shortwave question or has this group turned itself into
alt.politics.dogbitesdog?

I have an RX320. Used it happily off my PC Dell laptop for about a
year or so when the laptop bite the dust. I ended up replacing it with
a Macintosh Powerbook.

I've been doing online searches to see if there is any control
software for the 320 written in Mac, but haven't found any. Is there?

Added to this, I've been getting different answers as to whether a USB
to Serial adapter would even work. The dealer I bought the Mac from
said that they are finicky at best; that the signals aren't often
"translated" right. Anyone have experience using such an adapter?

Thanks.
av
Old November 8th 04, 12:17 AM
Telamon

In article 418eb5c7.1607250@news-server,
(David LaRose) wrote:

On 7 Nov 2004 15:16:27 -0800,
(av) wrote:

Can I ask a shortwave question or has this group turned itself into
alt.politics.dogbitesdog?

I have an RX320. Used it happily off my PC Dell laptop for about a
year or so when the laptop bite the dust. I ended up replacing it with
a Macintosh Powerbook.

I've been doing online searches to see if there is any control
software for the 320 written in Mac, but haven't found any. Is there?

Added to this, I've been getting different answers as to whether a USB
to Serial adapter would even work. The dealer I bought the Mac from
said that they are finicky at best; that the signals aren't often
"translated" right. Anyone have experience using such an adapter?

Thanks.
av

I had no luck finding RX320 software for a Mac.

About USB-to-serial adapters, they are indeed finicky. For example,
WinRadio specifies only particular adapters which are proven to work
with some of their existing radios:
http://www.winradio.com/home/macradio.htm

I have now bought the new USB-based shortwave receiver WR-G303e,
and it just runs circles around the RX320. Much much better radio:
http://www.winradio.com/home/g303e.htm .

But as yet, no Mac software either...

I looked around and came up empty. It seems to me that someone had Mac
radio controlling software but I don't remember whom.

If I find something I'll post it.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old November 8th 04, 02:15 AM
Jim Shaffer, Jr.

There is software for Linux. Someone might be able to make it work on MacOS X
with some work.

Old November 8th 04, 04:57 PM
av

"Jim Shaffer, Jr." wrote in message . ..
There is software for Linux. Someone might be able to make it work on MacOS X
with some work.

ha! you're talking to the wrong person for that!
i think i did find that software though... from Germany i think?

anyway, looks like my suspicions were correct. am either going to have
to move my radio listening over to my work office or divest myself of
one of the computers there and bring it over to my house. or find some
cheap old laptop somwhere to use just for this.

I might eventually try that windows emulation software for mac.
sounds like an expensive, dicey proposition though, especially if a
serial to USB cable might not work.

thanks for the responses!

Old November 8th 04, 05:05 PM
4nradio

AV,

The program MacLoggerDX has some support for the RX-320 with OSX or OS 9.
It's much more than just a logging program, but I'm not sure you can enter
frequencies directly. I do know that it automatically tunes the receiver to
frequencies found in DX cluster lists, other databases, etc.

http://www.dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX.html

Guy Atkins

Puyallup, WA USA

om...

Old November 8th 04, 06:50 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
av wrote:
Added to this, I've been getting different answers as to whether a USB
to Serial adapter would even work. The dealer I bought the Mac from
said that they are finicky at best; that the signals aren't often
"translated" right. Anyone have experience using such an adapter?

Check the groups.google.com archive in the comp.arch.embedded newsgroup
about that. The guys there often get stuck with interfacing to legacy
systems. I remember threads there comparing various USB-Serial converters.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old November 8th 04, 11:08 PM
av

"4nradio" wrote in message news:fINjd.8304$V41.2847@attbi_s52...
AV,

The program MacLoggerDX has some support for the RX-320 with OSX or OS 9.
It's much more than just a logging program, but I'm not sure you can enter
frequencies directly. I do know that it automatically tunes the receiver to
frequencies found in DX cluster lists, other databases, etc.

http://www.dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX.html

Guy Atkins

Puyallup, WA USA

thanks. i think i might have found that at one point, but didn't
understand what it did.

what's a DX cluster list?

av