Old November 14th 04, 10:28 AM
Frank Dresser

"-=jd=-" wrote in message
On Sat 13 Nov 2004 04:53:51p, "Frank Dresser"
wrote in message

t:

"-=jd=-" wrote in message

Back when I was toying with a DRM signal, I was able to
get 10 to 15 seconds worth (before drop-out) with an
unmodified PCR- 1000 simply be using ssb and tuning down a
bit. I also had to set Dream to reverse some setting in
the software that I can't recall at the moment. It was the
only setting that allowed you to reverse/invert some
aspect of the processing.

-=jd=-

Yeah, those were interesting posts. That's what triggered
my thoughts on using a computer as a DRM detector with the
62 and feeding the signal back to radio's hi-fi audio
section. The experiment would be cheap enough for me, and
it's probably doable, but I'm just not interested enough in
DRM to start playing with it.

Frank Dresser

The one thing I got to hear most of was the undecoded signal -
As soothing as a bored 8-year old with a 100-foot length of
bubble-wrap. But for 10 to 15 seconds at a time, the decoded
signal quality was *scary* nice. I would have to say it was
notably better than FM. I had the impression I was in the same
room with the broadcaster. It would be nice to hear an
uninterrupted stream for a half-hour to get a better sampling.

-=jd=-
--
My Current Disposable Email:

(Remove YOUR HAT to reply directly)

Old November 14th 04, 10:44 AM
Frank Dresser

"-=jd=-" wrote in message

[snip]

The one thing I got to hear most of was the undecoded signal -
As soothing as a bored 8-year old with a 100-foot length of
bubble-wrap. But for 10 to 15 seconds at a time, the decoded
signal quality was *scary* nice. I would have to say it was
notably better than FM. I had the impression I was in the same
room with the broadcaster. It would be nice to hear an
uninterrupted stream for a half-hour to get a better sampling.

I don't know if this is the same thing, but I was listening to one of the
local 1000 watt AMers today, and it sounded really nice. There was a three
dimensional sound from the studio that's not normally heard. I think the
normal studio reverberations and such are supressed either deliberately or
as a byproduct of the usual studio audio processing. Anyway, it sure
sounded lifelike.

I'm not so sure lifelike audio is much of a selling point, however. Hi-Fi
radio has been around in one form or another since the thirties, and it's
never been real popular. I figure people usually listen to the radio
casually, and pull out the recordings when they want to listen intently.

The only problem with standard AM as a high fidelity medium is it takes alot
of signal to get a good signal to noise ratio. I really doubt DRM can
better the fidelity potentially availiable from standard AM with a strong
signal. But, even in very strong signal areas, there seems to be no
interest in high fidelity AM anymore.

Frank Dresser

Old November 14th 04, 02:56 PM
0ff_Ramp

Sangean and Sony are also part of the DRM consortium. Obviously, they

have
an interest in selling a new generation of higher priced radios.

I don't think any of the Chinese manufacturers are involved with DRM.

I don't know the numbers but, there are increasingly more products from Sony
that are outsourced to China.
I was dismayed when I purchased a second Sony TV, about 4 years after I
purchased the same model earlier, only to discover it was made in Mexico.
The quality between the two TV sets are obvious. The first one, made in
Japan, is superior in every way to the newer made in Mexico model.

Sony will be exiting the SW WorldBand radio market. Get one while you still
can!

Sangean (=Grundig/Eton) are a Taiwan company. All of their radios are made
on mainland China in the same factories (I believe, correct me if wrong) as
Tecsun which is owned by the Chinese Communist Party - believe it or not!

DRM is a another way to extract $$$ from unsuspecting consumers.
If I want "digital" radio I'll "subscribe" (remember that -
"S.U.B.S.C.R.I.B.E.") to XM or Serius or satellite TV or internet stream...
I don't want Ibiquous(sp?) or DRM!

Old November 14th 04, 03:16 PM
0ff_Ramp

Whatever became of Motorola's Symphony Chip for analog radio?
It was supposed to perform wonders from current AM broadcast signals.

"Motorola has developed this system to improve radio reception at the
receiver by using the 1,500 MIPs processor to demodulate the received
signal. The improvement comes without any transmission changes required of
the broadcaster."
http://beradio.com/departments/radio...phony_digital/

"Motorola's Symphony digital radio chipset delivers breakthrough AM/FM
reception and performance"

"Unlike other digital radio offerings, the new digital radio chipset does
not require broadcasters to buy new digital broadcast equipment. Neither
does it require consumers to pay a monthly subscription fee like those
charged by satellite services because it operates on traditional AM/FM
analog broadcasts."

http://mrtmag.com/dealers/automotive...phony_digital/

The DSP56371 is priced at $9.95(USD) (suggested list price) for 100,000-unit
quantities.
http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/...798_23,00.html