Old December 1st 04, 04:12 AM
tommyknocker

8th Dwarf wrote:

"Mr Radio Man" wrote in message
What does everyone think? Who makes it?

http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/ca...html?sku=CT800

Has AM, FM, SW, Weather and TV. Looks nice.

The Sharper Image is a retail outlet specifically
tailored to people who fell into money thru
plain old dumb luck thru on effort of their
own, or those Volvo and Subaru driving suburban
mansion dwellers who are too busy trying to keep
up with their neighbor's toy inventory. You know
the type, the people who peek thru
the lace curtains with their contorted faces and
try to find fault with their neighbor's color of paint
on their house or their choice of landscaping.

In short, it's a place where people who would never
be seen setting foot into a Walmart or a Radio Shack
but will go to places like Sharper Image, Lord & Taylor
or similar retail stores to pay 2 to 4 times what any
normal person would pay for (similar or same) Chinese
made crap.

I give The Sharper Image a hearty thumb's up!
Just like The Cracker Barrel ole Country
Store, Brookstore, and other types of
similar stores, they prove that P.T. Barnum's
timeless maxim is still alive today.....

"I want you to stop buying and start selling!!!"
J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

The only thing I ever bought at the Sharper Image was a little Sony
digitally tuned AM/FM radio. This was around 1991 when digital tuning
could only be found in stereo systems. The radio cost about $75, but I
bought it because I thought I'd never see anything like it again. I was
right, sort of-it disappeared from the market after about a year and it
was a LONG time before I saw another portable digital tuned radio. It's
about the size of a Degen and has five AM and five FM presets. I don't
have it at hand so I don't know exactly what model it is but I think
it's an ICF-M200.

As for the radio that's the subject of this thread, it's a Kchibo
KK-C300. See Passport 2005 page 107. That review says it's priced at
$39.95. For just $10 or so more you can buy a Degen over Ebay that has
much better quality. Either the DE1102 or the DE1103 is fine, I prefer
the 1102 but you may find that the 1103 works better for your location.
The 1103 is kinda quirky but it has just as good performance as the
1102.

Old December 1st 04, 09:33 PM
Bob

The radio at the Sharper Image looks totally different than images of
the Kchibo KK C300 being sold on eBay. That KK C300 has a single
speaker and is only about 5" wide. I noticed that the Canadian RS
site has the same radio as SI under the "Coming Soon" flag. It has
twin 3" speakers for stereo FM and must be about 12" wide. It may be
a Kchibo but not the KK C300 as seen on eBay.
Bob
Old December 2nd 04, 04:28 AM
tommyknocker

Bob wrote:

The radio at the Sharper Image looks totally different than images of
the Kchibo KK C300 being sold on eBay. That KK C300 has a single
speaker and is only about 5" wide. I noticed that the Canadian RS
site has the same radio as SI under the "Coming Soon" flag. It has
twin 3" speakers for stereo FM and must be about 12" wide. It may be
a Kchibo but not the KK C300 as seen on eBay.
Bob

It's possible that it is. There's a Tecsun radio that's sold in the US
as a Grundig, the two radios have the same innards but totally different
outward appearances. I think it's the Grundig YB550 (don't know what the
Tecsun version is called, and I'm too tired to look it up).