Old December 18th 04, 11:02 PM

Default CHEAP radio - any suggestions?

I need recommendations for a cheap shortwave radio, and I don't mean
Degen 1102 cheap. I'm talking Grundig FR-200 cheap, 40 bucks or so.
Preferably something available domestically (U.S.), since shipping
charges on Tecsuns and Degens from China boost their prices to beyond
my limit.

A family member has had a Grundig FR-200 for a couple of years. It has
held up well, and the reception is acceptible for my purposes. Is it
my best choice at that price, or are there others I should consider?
I'm not expecting miracles, but I do want reasonably good reception
from roughly 49 - 16M.

thx

Old December 18th 04, 11:26 PM
running dogg

I need recommendations for a cheap shortwave radio, and I don't mean
Degen 1102 cheap. I'm talking Grundig FR-200 cheap, 40 bucks or so.
Preferably something available domestically (U.S.), since shipping
charges on Tecsuns and Degens from China boost their prices to beyond
my limit.

A family member has had a Grundig FR-200 for a couple of years. It has
held up well, and the reception is acceptible for my purposes. Is it
my best choice at that price, or are there others I should consider?
I'm not expecting miracles, but I do want reasonably good reception
from roughly 49 - 16M.

thx

A local electronics store here still has a few analog Sonys. They're not
SW40's, but something with a clamshell case that opens to reveal a
solely analog dial. I think it's an SW11. In any case, it's not in
Passport. There might be a few other small analog portables out there
that Passport doesn't list because they don't have digital tuning, but
could be sporadically available depending on where in the US you are.
Start poking around the musty corners of your local electronics stores,
or look through those catalogs of cheap gifts (like Carol Wright Gifts)
that everybody seems to get. A year or two ago Carol Wright was selling
a small analog portable made under the Bell and Howell name that
performed pretty well and was like $10.

Old December 19th 04, 10:07 AM
Sanjaya

wrote in message ups.com...
I need recommendations for a cheap shortwave radio, and I don't mean
Degen 1102 cheap. I'm talking Grundig FR-200 cheap, 40 bucks or so.
Preferably something available domestically (U.S.), since shipping
charges on Tecsuns and Degens from China boost their prices to beyond
my limit.

A family member has had a Grundig FR-200 for a couple of years. It has
held up well, and the reception is acceptible for my purposes. Is it
my best choice at that price, or are there others I should consider?
I'm not expecting miracles, but I do want reasonably good reception
from roughly 49 - 16M.

thx

Tecsun R9702
Dual conversion analog, with digital readout.
Covers 5.90 MHz - 18.00 MHz SW
$26 "Buy It Now" plus $6.00 UPS shipping from Brochhi on eBay.
Pay via PayPal.
He ships from Chicago.
I bought one from him. There's virtually no drift on SW or MW. Runs
great on alkalines. The one I got didn't match the color of the one in the
auction. That shows all silver, but mine came in grey and silver.

Old December 19th 04, 02:09 PM
Mike S.

In article et,
Sanjaya wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Agree with the assessment, except that, due to the dense packing of the SW
bands into only 2 segments, tuning is VERY tight. You need, as Larry Magne
used to say in his reviews, "a safecracker's touch" to get a weak station
dead-center tuned. But yes, it doesn't drift after that point.

Old December 19th 04, 03:46 PM
D. Martin

Don't buy any radio, until you've saved enough money for quality.
That's my suggestion. Darren

http://community-2.webtv.net/DEMEM/L...mes/page2.html

Old December 21st 04, 01:47 AM
Buzzygirl

"running dogg" wrote in message

I need recommendations for a cheap shortwave radio, and I don't mean
Degen 1102 cheap. I'm talking Grundig FR-200 cheap, 40 bucks or so.

You might want to check out this one... it's analog, but it's made by Kaito
(Degen) and has gotten pretty good reviews for a tiny analog SW receiver.
It's on sale for $24.95 from radios4you.com. I've ordered a radio from them
in the past, and they were fast and reliable.

http://www.radios4you.com/wrx911.html

Here's a review on the WRX911:

http://www.radiointel.com/review-kaitowrx911.htm

and another:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4624

Again, this is a very small analog shortwave receiver. For what it's worth,
I've had extremely good experiences with Degen and Kaito receivers. I have
the KA-1101, KA-1102 (DE-1102) and the DE-1103, all of which are excellent
receivers for their price.

Good luck!

Jackie

Old December 21st 04, 05:36 PM
BOEING377

The old Sony 2001 isnt a bad choice, seen lots of em at swap meets for around
$50. You couldnt do much better for that amount of money.