Old December 19th 04, 10:11 AM
Conan Ford

Default Radio Australia/New Zealand broadcasts

I'm located in Calgary, Alberta at about 51 N and 114 W. I've noticed that
I can often copy Radio Australia and Radio New Zealand International all
throughout the night, even up to 15 mhz sometimes. Shouldn't broadcasts
above about the 49 m band be very hard to hear at night? Sometimes I can
get broadcasts that seem intended for a domestic audience in Australia or
New Zealand. I'm wondering why I can hear these at all. I'm using a
Sangean ATS-803a with a 20 foot horizontal wire fed through a balun and 75
ohm coax.

I've noticed that Radio NZI and Radio Australia don't seem to be scaling
back broadcasts like their European counterparts are. I'm wondering why
this is. My best guess is the sparse population and large area of
Australia makes these broadcasts more useful, as for New Zealand, I'm
guessing the Pacific islands?

I was using the Ilgradio schedule with Scan320DB, but the B04's still
aren't out and the A04's are showing their age. Is there another source
for a quality schedule, or a better database program to use?

Thanks for any info.
Old December 19th 04, 11:56 AM
acquamarina

Conan Ford ha scritto:

Is there another source
for a quality schedule, or a better database program to use?

Thanks for any info.

http://www.susi-und-strolch.de/eibi/bc-b04.txt

Regards.
Nino
http://acquamarina.blogspot.com
Old December 19th 04, 05:24 PM
4nradio

Australia and New Zealand have both scaled back their broadcasts in years
past, well before the current withering away of European broadcasters. I've
been trying to remember how many years it's been since R. Australia had
transmissions beamed specifically to North America. Has it been 10 years? I
can't recall.

Still, RA's signal gets out phenomenally well, and even the ABC's 120
meterband transmissions are heard regularly on the West Coast of the US.
Anyway, I'd rather listen to broadcasts intended for domestic audiences
instead of the foreign service of any country. This is a large part of the
allure of the tropical bands in particular.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA

3.159...

Old December 19th 04, 05:31 PM
Mark Zenier

In article 9,
Conan Ford wrote:
I'm located in Calgary, Alberta at about 51 N and 114 W. I've noticed that
I can often copy Radio Australia and Radio New Zealand International all
throughout the night, even up to 15 mhz sometimes. Shouldn't broadcasts
above about the 49 m band be very hard to hear at night? Sometimes I can
get broadcasts that seem intended for a domestic audience in Australia or
New Zealand. I'm wondering why I can hear these at all. I'm using a
Sangean ATS-803a with a 20 foot horizontal wire fed through a balun and 75
ohm coax.

A lot of both station's programming comes from their domestic networks,
Both called Radio National, just to be confusing. RNZI also carries
a fair amount of BBC stuff.

I've noticed that Radio NZI and Radio Australia don't seem to be scaling
back broadcasts like their European counterparts are. I'm wondering why
this is. My best guess is the sparse population and large area of
Australia makes these broadcasts more useful, as for New Zealand, I'm
guessing the Pacific islands?

I was using the Ilgradio schedule with Scan320DB, but the B04's still
aren't out and the A04's are showing their age. Is there another source
for a quality schedule, or a better database program to use?

Try right at their web sites, http://www.abc.net.au/ra (or
the new one, http://www.radioaustralia.net.au ?) and http://www.rnzi.com

I'm not sure anything will be accurate. I tape stuff that comes on
early in the morning, and they, just this week, changed 9590 from Radio
Australia's English program to their Tok Pisin schedule. So, yesterday
morning, instead of "The Science Show" that comes in at 1 AM local time
(PST), I got an hour of New Guinea pidgin news and music. They used to
run the same program on 9580 and 9590, now I have to look close before
I got to sleep and make sure it's tuned in to the right one.

Currently, for Radio Aus in Western North America, try 15515, 15240,
15160, and 15415 until 7:00 UTC, then 13630 until 9:00 UTC, then 9580 or
9590 , 6020 come on at 12:00 UTC, 5995 (replaces 6020) and 7240 (replaces
9580) at 14:00 UTC, and then 11800 and 9710, which, this time of year,
can keep going until late in the morning. Then in mid afternoon, there's
21740 and 17795 starting the cycle all over again.

For RNZI, check on Google Groups for a posting "RNZI New Frequency from
14 NOV" posted by Mike Terry, in this newsgroup.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old December 20th 04, 12:29 AM
m II

Conan Ford wrote:

I'm located in Calgary, Alberta at about 51 N and 114 W. I've noticed that
I can often copy Radio Australia and Radio New Zealand International all
throughout the night, even up to 15 mhz sometimes.

11.835 seems like a good bet for New Zealand

mike (also in Calgary)

--
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is
probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."

Ernst Jan Plugge

Old December 20th 04, 02:36 AM
running dogg

4nradio wrote:

Australia and New Zealand have both scaled back their broadcasts in years
past, well before the current withering away of European broadcasters. I've
been trying to remember how many years it's been since R. Australia had
transmissions beamed specifically to North America. Has it been 10 years? I
can't recall.

Still, RA's signal gets out phenomenally well, and even the ABC's 120
meterband transmissions are heard regularly on the West Coast of the US.
Anyway, I'd rather listen to broadcasts intended for domestic audiences
instead of the foreign service of any country. This is a large part of the
allure of the tropical bands in particular.

I don't think Australia has had a foreign service for quite a while.
Their current service is geared towards the Pacific Rim. That's why they
announce local times at the top of the hour for places like Hong Kong,
Phnom Penh, and South Pacific island countries like Tuvalu and Fiji
(I've even heard time for the Cook Islands!). I think their current
eastward beamed broadcasts are for Central and South America. The sheer
area of the area in the South Pacific that the ABC wants to cover
demands shortwave, same thing for the sparsely populated Australian
interior, so I doubt that Radio Australia is going away anytime soon.
RNZI also covers this same area (the South Pacific).

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA

3.159...

Old December 20th 04, 03:32 AM
handheld

Conan Ford wrote:

I'm located in Calgary, Alberta at about 51 N and 114 W. I've noticed that
I can often copy Radio Australia and Radio New Zealand International all
throughout the night, even up to 15 mhz sometimes. Shouldn't broadcasts
above about the 49 m band be very hard to hear at night?

Considering the currently low solar flux and the early sunset time for
your location now, it would be unusual to hear them on 15-Mhz all night
at this time of year, but it does occasionally happen. Compared to
eastern North America, you do have an advantage for the higher
frequencies because you're farther west and your sunset time is
relatively later. The lower frequencies like 31-m are usually
propagating well from the South Pacific to North America after midnight.
I start hearing RA and RNZ at around 0800-UTC on 9580/9590 and 9885
respectively. I'm located in the northeast.

Sometimes I can
get broadcasts that seem intended for a domestic audience in Australia or
New Zealand. I'm wondering why I can hear these at all. I'm using a
Sangean ATS-803a with a 20 foot horizontal wire fed through a balun and 75
ohm coax.

Much of their programming on shortwave actually comes from their
domestic radio services. That's why it sounds like it's intended for
local listeners there. Both countries used to have more international
programming but it was reduced because of budget cuts.

I've noticed that Radio NZI and Radio Australia don't seem to be scaling
back broadcasts like their European counterparts are. I'm wondering why
this is. My best guess is the sparse population and large area of
Australia makes these broadcasts more useful, as for New Zealand, I'm
guessing the Pacific islands?

Yes, that's the main reason. These two countries are the protectors of
many islands in the South Pacific. This happened after World War-II when
each country was assigned certain areas. The US also became the
protector of some islands, like Guam and the Marianas.

I was using the Ilgradio schedule with Scan320DB, but the B04's still
aren't out and the A04's are showing their age. Is there another source
for a quality schedule, or a better database program to use?

Try this one:

http://www.primetimeshortwave.com/

Old December 20th 04, 05:37 PM
dxAce

handheld wrote:

Conan Ford wrote:

I'm located in Calgary, Alberta at about 51 N and 114 W. I've noticed that
I can often copy Radio Australia and Radio New Zealand International all
throughout the night, even up to 15 mhz sometimes. Shouldn't broadcasts
above about the 49 m band be very hard to hear at night?

Considering the currently low solar flux and the early sunset time for
your location now, it would be unusual to hear them on 15-Mhz all night
at this time of year, but it does occasionally happen. Compared to
eastern North America, you do have an advantage for the higher
frequencies because you're farther west and your sunset time is
relatively later. The lower frequencies like 31-m are usually
propagating well from the South Pacific to North America after midnight.
I start hearing RA and RNZ at around 0800-UTC on 9580/9590 and 9885
respectively. I'm located in the northeast.

One thing that actually helps the higher frequencies at this time of year in the
Northern Hemisphere is that at this point in our orbit around the sun we are
actually closer to the sun and that at times aids propagation a bit due to
higher solar radiation levels hitting the ionosphere.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 20th 04, 06:06 PM
Mark Zenier

In article LPixd.525681$wV.481052@attbi_s54,
4nradio wrote:
Australia and New Zealand have both scaled back their broadcasts in years
past, well before the current withering away of European broadcasters. I've
been trying to remember how many years it's been since R. Australia had
transmissions beamed specifically to North America. Has it been 10 years? I
can't recall.

It was at the same time their govmt. made the sweetheart deal with
the christian group and sold/leased? them their newly renovated Darwin
transmitter site for way too little money. They also made a bunch of
budget cuts.

Hmm, when did Ian Wood's _Science File_ show go away.

Judging from some transcripts I'd saved off the web it looks like 1997.
Longer ago than I would have guessed.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident