Old December 21st 04, 10:06 PM
Mark

Default 200Mbps shock for Broadband over powerlines

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index....52087&eid=-108

Mark.
Auckland
New Zealand.

Old December 21st 04, 10:16 PM
Gary Brown

BPL can interfere with your shortwave listening, too.

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/plc/

watch the video...
http://www.voiceofidaho.org/modules....p=getit&lid=17

filmed near Raleigh, NC shows BPL in action!

Gary
K4GPB

Old December 21st 04, 11:06 PM
Brenda Ann

"Mark" wrote in message
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index....52087&eid=-108

Mark.
Auckland
New Zealand.

200Mbps??? I don't THINK so. They don't even have those speeds available in
the infrastructure they would use to feed BPL. Someone read something wrong
somewhere. My ADSL is 8Mbps, my cable is 10Mbps. BPL promises a fraction of
either of those in reality. With a maximum bandwidth of 75MHz, even with
compression, on the main feed, divided amongst a number of users, actual
bandwidth would be around 800Kbps to each user, from all accounts I've
read... 200Mbps, indeed.. that would take out not only the entire HF but
also about 80% of VHF...

Old December 22nd 04, 03:00 PM
Michael Lawson

"-=jd=-" wrote in message
On Tue 21 Dec 2004 06:06:14p, "Brenda Ann"
wrote in message
:

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index....26952087&eid=-
108

Mark.
Auckland
New Zealand.

200Mbps??? I don't THINK so. They don't even have those
speeds available in the infrastructure they would use to
feed BPL. Someone read something wrong somewhere. My ADSL
is 8Mbps, my cable is 10Mbps. BPL promises a fraction of
either of those in reality. With a maximum bandwidth of
75MHz, even with compression, on the main feed, divided
amongst a number of users, actual bandwidth would be around
800Kbps to each user, from all accounts I've read...
200Mbps, indeed.. that would take out not only the entire
HF but also about 80% of VHF...

200Mbps does seem a bit far-fetched, even under tightly
controlled conditions... What's next - OC-192 throughput to
the desktop?

Ha. And it'll be filled with porn, spam and virii.

--Mike L.

Old December 22nd 04, 05:58 PM
Markeau

http://www.wifizonenews.com/publicat...207-961028.asp

"beerbarrel" wrote in message
Hmmm...Earthlink says that BPL not viable commercially now or in the
near future. It's too expensive.

Old December 22nd 04, 06:41 PM
Telamon

In article 1103666763.260480@ftpsrv1, "Mark"
wrote:

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index....52087&eid=-108

Mark.
Auckland
New Zealand.

The article has things backward like referring to the "last mile" as the
"first mile." The 200Mbps number is just not reasonable for a BPL
service.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old December 22nd 04, 09:01 PM
Panzer240

"-=jd=-" wrote in
:

200Mbps does seem a bit far-fetched, even under tightly
controlled conditions... What's next - OC-192 throughput to
the desktop?

-=jd=-

Probably has an M where there should be a K. As for OC-192 to the desktop.
Once has a laptop that had one, back in the day I used to commission such
systems for the likes of Leve3 and Wiltel

--
Panzer

Old December 22nd 04, 11:27 PM
matt weber

wrote in message
:

"Mark" wrote in message
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index....26952087&eid=-
108

Mark.
Auckland
New Zealand.

200Mbps??? I don't THINK so. They don't even have those
speeds available in the infrastructure they would use to
feed BPL. Someone read something wrong somewhere. My ADSL
is 8Mbps, my cable is 10Mbps.

Actually there are two modulation schemes available under DOCIS 1.1,
the slow one is 10Mbps, the fast one is about 36Mbps, and if your
cable modelm is DOCIS compliant, it supports both. I haven't seen a
cable system operator yet that uses the 36Mbps capability however.