Old January 2nd 05, 09:06 PM
m II

-=jd=- wrote:

For instance, I almost scalded a
finger stirring the maple syrup at a sugar-bush near
Alexandria-Bay once. {shudders}

Dear God. Did you phone your lawyer? They obviously have to be taught
a lesson. *almost* is TOO close and it certainly looks like a blatant
attempt to maim YOU, an American. It's dangerous world..

mike
--

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No
matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got

Terry Pratchett
Old January 2nd 05, 09:31 PM
uncle arnie

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:51, bierbarrel posted to
rec.radio.shortwave: %MM

WOW! I'm impressed Mike. You deduced this from a 2 week vacation?
Actually I think that the most stupidest thing that any American did
was give you internet access. I can't beleive that you have all
American children figured as abnormal and Canadian ones as normal in
only a few weeks. Do you have any kids? I have to say one thing you
must be easily impressed. I've been to Canada and could not wait to
leave. You have been to two cities in the US and in Canada for 2 weeks
and make your decision based upon that? Why don't you get some land
there and move?

He'd be welcome. More per capita immigration to Canada than the USA (Stats
Can, Dec 2004). Of course, he could also move to a less populated US state
and likely find the lifestyle he seeks, with warmer weather. We've warmed
up to -5 F , -22 C for the new year.
Old January 2nd 05, 09:37 PM
uncle arnie

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 12:54, tianli posted to
rec.radio.shortwave: %MM

"bierbarrel"

C'mon polka dude, you have to be fair and balanced.
You must also include the number of crimes that were
avoided due to the use of a firearm by the potential victom.

You won't here that figure on liberal tongues - Oh NO!

Please post this figure. If it does not exist, please say that. And these
crime stats have nothing whatever to do with liberal or conservative
issues. They are just numbers.
Old January 2nd 05, 09:42 PM
uncle arnie

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 12:50, tianli posted to
rec.radio.shortwave: %MM

In 1970 I bought some land in Canada

I thought you can only "lease" the Crown's land.
You can't own it in perpetuity - please correct me.
Perhaps that applies only to "Das Territories"?

No, you can own land. There is Crown land, but that is mostly isolated and
about mineral rights. The Crown (i.e., gov't) has to release the land for
development and then it can be bought or sold. It is possible to go north,
build a cabin and live in it. If you're isolated, no one will bother you.
You might have an RCMP visit you for coffee and to see what you're doing
(e.g., are you harming the environment), but that's about it. Been there,
done that. It's the locals who might vandalize the cabin when you're gone
that has become a problem in the age of snowmobiles, fast boats and beer.

Old January 2nd 05, 09:45 PM
uncle arnie

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 09:52, Brian Hill posted to
rec.radio.shortwave: %MM

"ken8038" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey Mike: No flame here. Looks like we agree on something else beside
what's a great radio. In 1970 I bought some land in Canada to avoid
America's last great mistake (and one I wish we had learned at least a
little from). I never did move there (long story), but I was bascially
as impressed as you are by the civility of the Canadian people I met in
several trips there that year.

I grew up in NY City also (Bay Ridge Brooklyn, Where they cheered Peter
Boyle as "Joe" on the Big Screen in '70)). You??
(PS: Still loving the Sony D!).

You think all of America is like NY? It not.

B.H.

I've met some very pleasant New Yorkers in the past. Actually, never met
one that was rude. Only been there twice, but never met any bad 'uns.
Probably, I was only in "nice" areas, though I did go to New Jersey, which
was okay re people too. I think big cities breed impatient people and then
leads to rudeness and other bad behaviour.
Old January 2nd 05, 09:46 PM
m II

uncle arnie wrote:

North America was partitioned in 1776, with various 19th century updates as
the settlement moved west. We share much. Both nice and nasty people.
The accents are different, but the weirdest thing has to be that some
Newfoundlanders sound like people from the US south.

They are most likely Canadians from way back. The English did much
ethnic cleansing and many French were forcibly moved out. many of them
wound up in the Southern States. The term Cajun comes from the word
Acadia, which was renamed by the Anglos.

The area comprising today's New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, was once
known as "ACADIA". The first Frenchmen arrived at Port Royal
(present-day Annapolis Royal), in 1605. Settlement continued until the
early 1700's when, in 1713, ACADIA was given to the British.

http://www.acadian.org/definitions.html

Old January 2nd 05, 10:30 PM
m II

uncle arnie wrote:

If you look at crimes per 100,000 of population, the Canadian crime rate is
indeed lower than the US's. Them's the numbers for a fair comparison. Of
course, all European countries and Japan all have per capita crime rates
lower than Canada (source, Stats Can).

A friend in England says "When you sleep with dogs, you get fleas". I
now wonder if he meant that as a disparaging remark.

mike

Old January 2nd 05, 10:33 PM
uncle arnie

Moi, j'ai une famille est partiallement d'Acadie. They didn't leave.
Became Anglos. Others were UEL, others came to Canada from the US much
later. Apparently we're all about 6th cousins - those whose relatives
immigrated to the new world in colonial days.

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 15:46, m II posted to
rec.radio.shortwave: %MM