Old January 11th 05, 02:59 AM
atomicthumbs

Default Is the YB-400 a good SSB reciver?

I'm mostly interesteed in listineng to utilities on SSB. Is the YB-400
good for tyhat, and if not, can someone reccomend me a CHEAP good one?

Old January 11th 05, 05:17 AM
D. Martin

Utilities? Why don't you get a handheld scanner. Analog scanners have
come down in price the last couple of years. Since various agencies have
gone to digital communications. Darren

http://community-2.webtv.net/DEMEM/L...mes/page2.html

Old January 11th 05, 05:52 AM
Howard

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:17:45 -0700, (D. Martin) wrote:

Utilities? Why don't you get a handheld scanner. Analog scanners have
come down in price the last couple of years. Since various agencies have
gone to digital communications. Darren

http://community-2.webtv.net/DEMEM/L...mes/page2.html

Darren,
The 'utilities' he was likely referring to are 'utility stations' such
as military, aeronautical & Coast Guard. They operate on HF and
mostly use USB.
Howard
Old January 11th 05, 02:05 PM

I have a YB400PE and it is excellent for listening to SSB
(utilities..hams etc)
73 Greg

Old January 11th 05, 04:41 PM
Michael Black

" ) writes:
I have a YB400PE and it is excellent for listening to SSB
(utilities..hams etc)
73 Greg

Do you find the selectivity good enough for the ham bands?

Michael

Old January 11th 05, 09:06 PM
Invader3K

Personally I love my YB400, but have never found it that great for
SSB...the sound is usually pretty muddled, and it seems like once you
get a communication "dialed in" using the analog tuner adjustment on
the side of the radio, the signal drifts within a few minutes. Maybe I
am not in a good area for ham/utility listening (SE Wisconsin).

Old January 11th 05, 11:58 PM
atomicthumbs

Would it be good in California? I'm mostly interested in listineng to
aeronautical, government, military, and shortwave phone feeders (are
there any countries that still use them?). Would this or a Sangean ATS
909 be better for it?

Old January 12th 05, 12:09 AM

Iffff you are goinnnnn to play in TEXAS!,,,, you have to have a Fiddle
and a banddddd,,,,,,, that lead Guitar isn't good enough,, Louisiana
mannnnnnnn,,,,,,,,,,,
cuhulin

Old January 12th 05, 12:29 AM
tianli

The "best" bang for your buck = Sony ICF-SW7600GR
SSB on this portable is superb! Excellent sensitivity and ergonomics.

Old January 12th 05, 11:39 AM
wavetrapper

Agree with tianli.
The 7600GR does a super job receiving SSB.
Sideband is not a strength of the YB-400