Old January 11th 05, 06:07 AM
m II

Default The future for capacitors looks good.

Very radio related...

More than you ever wnated to know about capacitors. Nice pictures, too.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/caps/caps.html

mike leyden
Old January 11th 05, 07:14 AM

Dell computer company (and I assume some other computer outfits too) had
some big time problems with those cheap,no account,no quality
Capacitor's leaking crap on their Dell (dude!,you are getting a Dell,,
Hell NO!,I am NOT! either!) motherboards.And,some of those Dell servers
were/are subject to catch on fire and last month Dell recalled 960,000
adapters.
cuhulin

Old January 11th 05, 09:08 AM
RHF

MII - Thank You for the Interesting and Informative Link ~ RHF
..
It lead me to the Parent Webpage - by Tony Van Roon [VA3AVR]
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/gadgets.htm
..
iane ~ RHF
Old January 11th 05, 03:30 PM
Rodney

"m II" wrote in message
Very radio related...

Actually there is a finite amount of tantalum left in the world,
After that tantalum caps are no longer available...

http://www.eet.com/pw/fo/showArticle...805336&kc=2610

http://www.niccomp.com/eetimes0201tantstory2.html-ssi

Old January 12th 05, 06:02 AM
m II

Rodney wrote:

Actually there is a finite amount of tantalum left in the world,
After that tantalum caps are no longer available...

http://www.eet.com/pw/fo/showArticle...805336&kc=2610

http://www.niccomp.com/eetimes0201tantstory2.html-ssi

Sounds like a PLOT by the tantalum cartel to drive prices up. g

mike

Old January 14th 05, 10:33 PM

It isn't as though I am knocking anybodys personal computer's,because I
am not.There are computers and then there are computers.That is why last
year I bought myself a new ProMagix tower computer from Velocity Micro
in Richmond,Virginia. www.velocitymicro.com and when I phone their
toll free phone number to ask whatever question about my computer,the
President of Velocity Micro is just as likely to pick up the phone as
anybody else who works at Velocity Micro in Richmond.I know a couple
whom I see at a local Goodwill thriftstore once in a while and last year
his wife bought a new Dell computer and six days after they started
using the computer,it quit working and they smelled a burnt smell coming
from the computer.It was leaking capacitors on the computer's
motherboard.The way some computer companies can offer such good deals is
by cutting back on the quality of the parts they use in those
computers.And besides,I don't care to own a computer that has propietary
parts and or propietary operating systems.But,that is only my opinion.
cuhulin

Old January 16th 05, 07:55 AM
starman

nothermark wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 01:14:55 -0600, wrote:

Dell computer company (and I assume some other computer outfits too) had
some big time problems with those cheap,no account,no quality
Capacitor's leaking crap on their Dell (dude!,you are getting a Dell,,
Hell NO!,I am NOT! either!) motherboards.And,some of those Dell servers
were/are subject to catch on fire and last month Dell recalled 960,000
adapters.
cuhulin

Other than slamming Dell did you have a point?

BTW, Dell is replacing the system boards with bad caps as they turn
up. call them and out comes a tech with a new system board. On the
other hand Abit also had that problem a couple of years back and
charged $25 plus shipping.

Bad wall warts are nothing new.

The capacitor problem occurred a few years ago when an Asian company
tried to copy the chemical formula for the electrolytic paste used by a
well known capacitor manufacturer. They got the formula wrong and made
millions of bad capacitors which were used in computers and other
equipment. I have a motherboard which has some leaking/bulging
electrolytics. I expect it will work fine again, if/when I get around to
changing them. But by then, it will be obsolete. :-)