Old January 16th 05, 08:45 PM
Paul Merrill

Default Interference

I've got a Sangean 505 SW receiver and decided to put up a long wire
antenna outside between a tree and the house. The reception using the
device is pretty amazing. I'm based in Sydney Australia and I can pick
up BBC, VOA, CBC Radio Netherlands. The annoying thing is that there
is periodic interference, 30 seconds of bad static that washes out the
signal completely followed by 65 seconds of clear signal, 30 seconds
of static, etc, etc. The interference does not seem to change night or
day. I'm thinking some type of electrical interference perhaps from
the house or something generating the noise outside the house that the
antenna is picking up.

If I use the telescoping antenna built-into the radio, no such
interference existing, or I could not hear it.

Any ideas on fixing it?
Old January 16th 05, 09:32 PM
transwhite

Shut off all individual circuit breakers at the electrical box. If it goes
away, it's probably some electrical appliance in your house causing
interference. Turn on all breakers one by one until the interference comes
back to isolate the circuit where the interference begins.

If this doesn't work, it could very well be a neighbors appliance causing
interference or a piece of power equipment, like a power line transformer in
your neighborhood, going bad. Faulty power line transformers can work within
spec for years and still cause all kinds of radio interference. Good luck
getting your power company to investigate if that's the case...

"Paul Merrill" wrote in message
om...

Any ideas on fixing it?

Old January 17th 05, 11:12 AM
Paul Merrill

transwhite wrote:
Shut off all individual circuit breakers at the electrical box. If it goes
away, it's probably some electrical appliance in your house causing
interference. Turn on all breakers one by one until the interference comes
back to isolate the circuit where the interference begins.

If this doesn't work, it could very well be a neighbors appliance causing
interference or a piece of power equipment, like a power line transformer in
your neighborhood, going bad. Faulty power line transformers can work within
spec for years and still cause all kinds of radio interference. Good luck
getting your power company to investigate if that's the case...

"Paul Merrill" wrote in message
om...

Any ideas on fixing it?

Ok, I hit the main power tonight and the interference when away. So, it
seems it is in the house. Now, the thing that I can't figure is that is
is NOT constant but 30 seconds on 65 seconds off (continuously). I have
no idea what in my house would be switching on every 65 seconds for 30
second. When I'm using listening all the lights are off in the house
except for a couple, TV is off, all appliances are off, all that seems
to be left is the fridge.

Any clues as to what it might be?
Old January 17th 05, 02:25 PM
Al

Heaters in a fish tank might cycle at this rate. A small countertop oven
would also have a short cycle time. Some kind of device that has a "keep
alive" circuit in it might also cycle at this rate. Good luck.

Al KA5JGV
San Antonio, TX

Old January 17th 05, 03:50 PM
Al

Additionally, any circuit that is charging a battery might cycle at this
rate, such as a cell phone charger, wireless telephone handset in its
cradle, or possibly a laptop charging its batteries.

Al KA5JGV

Old January 17th 05, 11:07 PM
Drifter

i had a link-sys router that had a keep alive ckt
that came on every 2.5 min. drove me nuts. went to
a D-Link, quiet. it was not just only in the comp
room, but, all over the house...
Drifter...
Old January 18th 05, 03:44 AM
Telamon

In article ,
Paul Merrill wrote:

transwhite wrote:
[...]

Turn the main breaker on and start with the smaller circuits one at a
time until the noise comes back. Keep narrowing it down.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old January 18th 05, 07:02 AM
starman

Paul Merrill wrote:

I've got a Sangean 505 SW receiver and decided to put up a long wire
antenna outside between a tree and the house. The reception using the
device is pretty amazing. I'm based in Sydney Australia and I can pick
up BBC, VOA, CBC Radio Netherlands. The annoying thing is that there
is periodic interference, 30 seconds of bad static that washes out the
signal completely followed by 65 seconds of clear signal, 30 seconds
of static, etc, etc. The interference does not seem to change night or
day. I'm thinking some type of electrical interference perhaps from
the house or something generating the noise outside the house that the
antenna is picking up.

If I use the telescoping antenna built-into the radio, no such
interference existing, or I could not hear it.

Any ideas on fixing it?

If it happened only at night, a street light would be a likely suspect.
However street lights can make noise in the daytime too if the starter
(photocell) is also defective and it keeps trying to turn a bad light
on.

Old January 18th 05, 07:06 AM
starman

Al wrote:

Additionally, any circuit that is charging a battery might cycle at this
rate, such as a cell phone charger, wireless telephone handset in its
cradle, or possibly a laptop charging its batteries.

Especially if it's a smart charger which is trickle charging a fully
charged battery to keep it charged without overcharging it.