Old January 26th 05, 12:53 AM

Default "Atomic clock" for cheap!

At "Walgreens" I found an "Atomic Alarm Clock"
Runs on 2 "AA" batteries and it even has a nice
EL backlight.
Best part was it cost only $9.99!
I bought 2, and if they both work I will take one
apart to intercept the data stream.
It is a Model #701071, Item #C17D1773
The documentation has a 2003 Copyright date.
The documentation says it may take 48~72 hours
to synchronize.
It only supports PST/MST/CST/EST, with automatic
DST changeover.
I will post updates as needed.
The documentation is clearly designed for non
technical types, but the do warn about PC mointors
operating near 60KHz and even mention WWV.
It would be nice to set it to GMT/ZULU, but
for 10 bucks I can't complain.
Terry

Old January 26th 05, 02:29 AM
DesignGuy

wrote in message
oups.com...
At "Walgreens" I found an "Atomic Alarm Clock"
Runs on 2 "AA" batteries and it even has a nice
EL backlight.
Best part was it cost only $9.99!
I bought 2, and if they both work I will take one
apart to intercept the data stream.
It is a Model #701071, Item #C17D1773
The documentation has a 2003 Copyright date.
The documentation says it may take 48~72 hours
to synchronize.
It only supports PST/MST/CST/EST, with automatic
DST changeover.
I will post updates as needed.
The documentation is clearly designed for non
technical types, but the do warn about PC mointors
operating near 60KHz and even mention WWV.
It would be nice to set it to GMT/ZULU, but
for 10 bucks I can't complain.
Terry

Which Walgreens?

Old January 26th 05, 03:30 AM
Evan Platt

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 01:29:37 GMT, "DesignGuy"
wrote:

Which Walgreens?

I've seen it at just about every walgreens I've been to...

Old January 26th 05, 04:40 PM

See:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...id=prod903779#
for their online site.
Watch the line wrap.
Terry

Old January 29th 05, 10:31 PM
Guy Atkins

Yesterday I spotted an atomic clock at the Rite-Aid Drugstore chain. It's
$9.95, and although it doesn't specifically say "atomic" or "atomic clock"
on the package, it's certainly one. It's described as an "automatic setting"
clock, never needing manual setting, and has a switch for various USA
timezones on the back. I believe the manufacturer was listed as "Elite
Group", if I recall.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA

oups.com...

Old February 10th 22, 10:23 PM
Ina Ina is offline
Junior Member

Smile Curious if they still sell these

I found your message while searching for this clock.
I also got mine at Walgreens and am using it as a clock. I think mine has been working for AT LEAST fifteen years, so I was hoping to find another, or at least find out what company makes them to see if they have other products.
I only remember changing the batteries once or twice in all that time!
I guess the odds of finding the makers of this are low, but any clues out there?
Model 701071
Item C17D1773
No brand name visible
Made in China
Distributed by East West Distributing Co.
Customer Service