Old January 30th 05, 03:20 AM
Soliloquy

Default BPL and Lunatic HAMS

I was listening to a show on shortwave this afternoon, and they were
discussing the fight to implement BPL around the world. They were saying
that HAMs are being mischaracterized as lunatics and relics so that they
can sway the public to support the implementation of BPL.

I hope the people so desperate for BPL are never in an area of widespread
disaster, say vacationing where the tsunami hit. Though the BPL
interference would be gone with the destruction of the powerlines, likely
HAMs would not be there to help either, since the abolition of their hobby
would leave them with little interest or equipment.

Though the computer oriented people are zealous to implement another un-
needed communication mode, I hope that HAMs and SWLers continue to resist
the implementation of systems causing widespread interference to
communication, especially communication that can be and is routinely used
to help the public when disasters strike.

Soliloquy
Old January 30th 05, 06:03 PM
David Stinson

Soliloquy wrote:

Though the computer oriented people are zealous to implement another un-
needed communication mode,...

BPL might be beaten, but it's going to be years in the fighting.
Many of us are going to be buried before victory over all
the money in this fight. In the mean time, we need a
work-around like that I proposed (and was rounded condemned for).
If you are one of the guys buried, I'd think a work-around
that allows you to continue using your equipment would be
a blessing, but I guess not.
Dave S.
Old January 30th 05, 10:38 PM
David

Big Brother would like each home to have broadband.

Old January 31st 05, 01:01 AM
Soliloquy

David wrote in
:

Perhaps my lunacy is showing, but personally I think that this is the sole
reason that the U.S. Government is pushing so vehemently for BPL. Since
connections to the power receptacles will allow your computer to
communicate with the world, so too would the same connection allow any
device, if so designed, to communicate. Your TV and clock radios will be
spying on you. In theory, to a limited degree (TV's and Cable Boxes), cable
ISPs would also offer this feature, but even though not everyone has cable,
virtually (with the exception of the Amish), everyone has electricity.

If you have followed the debate, FEMA originally opposed BPL due to the
possible interference with emergency level communications, but they later
changed their mind (or had it changed for them).

BPL is an answer looking for a problem.

Soliloquy.

Big Brother would like each home to have broadband.

Old January 31st 05, 07:51 AM
m II

David wrote:

Big Brother would like each home to have broadband.

Yes. The TCP-IP business makes tracing all your communications much easier.
Your fingerprint is on everything coming and going. With shortwave, they
don't know who the listeners are. Only troublemakers listen to shortwave,
right? Eliminate the medium by effectively jamming it via 'inadvertant'
interference.

There is a major problem with powerline transmission anyway. If the lines go
down, you lose more than the power. With people increasing using telephones
over the net (easily traceable/monitored via the packets with NO court
decree needed) they will lose that too.

Too many eggs in one very public basket.

mike