Old February 2nd 05, 12:50 AM
Brian Hill

Default opinion on radios for new listeners

There's always a lot of talk about what radio is better or best or which
radio should I buy. I have a hard time giving advice on the subject because
there are just too damn many variables and allot of new hobbyist get the
idea that if they shell out big $ and buy the latest state of the art radio
that all their troubles will be over and they can finally collect that
elusive QSL. Hey don't get me wrong, I'm all for buying the most radio you
can but lets face it most peoples reception problems have little to do with
the radio and there are plenty of good radios to choose from and the
differences of one good radio compared to the other is hard to define unless
you got some experience and a good ant/grd etc... The reason I'm saying all
this has to do with these comparisons like the R-75 with Kiwa mods compared
to the R-8B etc... Yea the R-8B has the edge but not by such a margin that a
new listener should rule out the R-75 or other good rigs. Yes I know you
seasoned vets are going " Brian we know all this but what's your point?" My
point is there are a lot of new SW listeners lurking around here and I want
them to know that there are a lot of good results being obtained with a lot
of older gear and good antennas. I've been DXing for a long time and all I
use is an old R-5000 with a very good ant system and a few audio mods and
I'll run with the best of them. Moral is- Buy as much radio as you can
afford but $s don't garentee results, that takes experimenting , research
and work to get the weak ones.

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

EMAIL-
(Hide the $100 to reply!)

Old February 2nd 05, 01:26 AM
Harry

Brian, over the past thirty years, I have used : an old tubed RCA, a
Realistic dx-160, a Sony 2210, a Sony 7600gr, and my Kenwood ts-50 to listen
to shortwave dx. I agree that if you enjoy the hobby, then buy "all the
radio that you can afford", but even the best rig is useless without a
decent antenna. If a listener does not have access to a place where he can
string up some wire, then a small portable with whip antenna will be all the
radio needed.
73, de VO1JA, Harry

Old February 2nd 05, 03:42 AM
Brian Denley

Brian Hill wrote:
[...]

Good advice. Also don't be afraid to by used modern radios. A used modern
digital radio should perform as well as a new one. It's a great way to get
'more radio for the money'.

--
Brian Denley

Old February 2nd 05, 09:29 AM
m II

Brian Hill wrote:

Moral is- Buy as much radio as you can
afford but $s don't garentee results, that takes experimenting , research
and work to get the weak ones.

Years ago I had a single conversion Radio Shack shortwave all bander. It was
ok until I put a wire on the antenna terminal. Like magic, I got a lot of
the local am radio stations repeating over the dial.

I'd say getting a double conversion set should be the very minimum
requirement. If money and choice allow, get a triple conversion.

Some have said that the more conversion stages you go through, the more
noise you get, but I haven't played around with enough different sets to be
able to form a valid opinion on that.

mike

Old February 2nd 05, 12:27 PM
mike0219116

"m II" wrote in message
Brian Hill wrote:

I'd say getting a double conversion set should be the very minimum
requirement. If money and choice allow, get a triple conversion.

Are there any triple conversion receivers still on the market?
--
mike0219116

Old February 2nd 05, 12:56 PM
dxAce

Brian Hill wrote:

I'd say getting a double conversion set should be the very minimum
requirement. If money and choice allow, get a triple conversion.

Are there any triple conversion receivers still on the market?

A very, very quick check reveals that the NRD-545 is triple conversion.

You might wish to review the current offerings at:

http://www.rffun.com/catalog/index2.html

dxAce
Michigan
USA

--
mike0219116

Old February 2nd 05, 03:48 PM
bpnjensen

The Icom R75 is triple conversion.

Bruce Jensen

Old February 2nd 05, 10:27 PM
Brian Hill

Brian Hill wrote:

Moral is- Buy as much radio as you can
afford but $s don't garentee results, that takes experimenting ,

research
and work to get the weak ones.

Years ago I had a single conversion Radio Shack shortwave all bander. It

was
ok until I put a wire on the antenna terminal. Like magic, I got a lot of
the local am radio stations repeating over the dial.

I'd say getting a double conversion set should be the very minimum
requirement. If money and choice allow, get a triple conversion.

Some have said that the more conversion stages you go through, the more
noise you get, but I haven't played around with enough different sets to

be
able to form a valid opinion on that.

mike

There are double conv sets that do as well as the triple. Its a matter of
design but yes at least a double conversion type circuit is the norm or
starting point of serious modern superhet design. The Icom R-71s are
quadruple conversion and were/are a favorite for utility dxers like myself.
Sometimes three or four IFs are problematic with intermod I've heard but
I've never had any bad experiences.

B.H.

Old February 2nd 05, 11:05 PM
Brian Hill

"dxAce" wrote in message

Brian Hill wrote:

I'd say getting a double conversion set should be the very minimum
requirement. If money and choice allow, get a triple conversion.

Are there any triple conversion receivers still on the market?

A very, very quick check reveals that the NRD-545 is triple conversion.

You might wish to review the current offerings at:

http://www.rffun.com/catalog/index2.html

dxAce
Michigan
USA

--
mike0219116

Have you tried the 545 Steve? My buddy has one. It's a neat rig. I'm just
not sure about the price tag?

B.H.

Old February 2nd 05, 11:16 PM
dxAce

Brian Hill wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

Brian Hill wrote:

I'd say getting a double conversion set should be the very minimum
requirement. If money and choice allow, get a triple conversion.

Are there any triple conversion receivers still on the market?

A very, very quick check reveals that the NRD-545 is triple conversion.

You might wish to review the current offerings at:

http://www.rffun.com/catalog/index2.html

dxAce
Michigan
USA

--
mike0219116

Have you tried the 545 Steve? My buddy has one. It's a neat rig. I'm just
not sure about the price tag?

I had a 515 briefly, but I was never a fan of Japan Radio. I didn't like the
audio.

YMMV

dxAce
Michigan