Old February 9th 05, 09:27 PM
bpnjensen

Default Botswanna 9885 0508 utc

The EiBi skeds show VOA at 0500-0530 in Hausa to West Africa via
Morocco.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Bingo. From 0300-0430, he *would have* had VOA via Botswana in English
(After I posted, I headed over to EiBi as well). Not yet knowing
exactly where he was when his timer read "9:08 pm" made the report just
mysterious enough to make me wonder, despite the 0508 title time. As
it turns out, he is in Miami, FL - which means that the "9:08 pm"
reading on his post does not accurately reflect his location (0908 is
Pacific Standard time).

While being appreciative of luckydaze's tip, I was also hopefully
making the point that to relay the most useful information, it is
helpful if the reporter includes a few details about when and where he
is. With worldwide subscription to this newgroup, these details can be
important...but you knew that :-)

After all is said and done, it is cool that Botswana photons reached
your radio, luckydaze. Here in California, Africa requently puts in a
better signal than Europe, despite its greater distance. Those polar
disturbances can raise havoc.

BJ

Old February 9th 05, 09:38 PM
dxAce

bpnjensen wrote:

[...]

Point is though it was not Botswana if EiBi is correct.

Here is Lucky's header as read he

Wed, 9 Feb 2005 00:08:32 -0500

Time stamped here as 12:08 AM

Additionally he himself time stamped it as 0508 utc.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old February 9th 05, 10:30 PM
bpnjensen

Point is though it was not Botswana if EiBi is correct.

True. So, what source were you reading, luckydaze? Enquiring minds
are nervous...

Bruce Jensen

Old February 9th 05, 11:15 PM
luckydaze

"bpnjensen" wrote in message
oups.com...
Point is though it was not Botswana if EiBi is correct.

True. So, what source were you reading, luckydaze? Enquiring minds
are nervous...

Bruce Jensen

I used this site and it came up 'VOA" country "Botswanna" Now, besides
adding the UTC time in my header, what else should I include in the future?
http://shortwave.hfradio.org/

1] Frequency
2] UTC time
3] EST time too???
4] My location

What else? What site should I use for the ID? Sometimes even if I wait till
the top of the hour to listen for it, I sometimes can't make out the ID.

So, what site was right??

Lucky

Old February 9th 05, 11:34 PM
bpnjensen

Luckidaze - Interesting website! You're right, his info shows
VOA-Botswana at 0508z.

It also shows Swiss Radio as being here too, though, so maybe his
schedule is slightly out of date. Website is unclear about last
update, although his copyright statement says 2002-2004.

Now, besides

adding the UTC time in my header, what else should I include in the
future?
http://shortwave.hfradio.org/

1] Frequency
2] UTC time
3] EST time too???
4] My location

Nos. 1, 2 and 4 are fine as far as I am concerned...those are what I
*try* to include (if I can remember). Part of my concern was that your
time stamp on the message said 9:08 pm, when it was probably after
midnight for you. Otherwise, you're fine.

later,
Bruce Jensen

Old February 10th 05, 09:21 AM
luckydaze

"bpnjensen" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'll tell you Bruce, I'm able to listen to many more hard to get in
frequencies with my new Lowe HF-150. I just got it last week. The AM/SSB
selectable sync locks in stations quite well. I'm very happy with it. It has
less bell and whistles but does much more then most receivers especially the
Drake line.

Lucky

Old February 10th 05, 10:18 AM
dxAce

bpnjensen wrote:

Luckidaze - Interesting website! You're right, his info shows
VOA-Botswana at 0508z.

It also shows Swiss Radio as being here too, though, so maybe his
schedule is slightly out of date. Website is unclear about last
update, although his copyright statement says 2002-2004.

Now, besides

adding the UTC time in my header, what else should I include in the
future?
http://shortwave.hfradio.org/

1] Frequency
2] UTC time
3] EST time too???
4] My location

Nos. 1, 2 and 4 are fine as far as I am concerned...those are what I
*try* to include (if I can remember). Part of my concern was that your
time stamp on the message said 9:08 pm, when it was probably after
midnight for you. Otherwise, you're fine.

Well as I wrote previously, the time stamp on his post did not indicate 9:08 pm,
at least not here.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 10th 05, 02:40 PM
bpnjensen

Well as I wrote previously, the time stamp on his post did not
indicate 9:08 pm,
at least not here.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Oh! Maybe it's on this PC network...thanks~
BJ

Old February 10th 05, 02:57 PM

The 150 is an awesome little receiver and it looks like you're getting
some good mileage out of it. I don't find it to be competition for my
Drake R8B where DX is concerned. However, the 150, when attached to a
suitable antenna, is certainly DX-capable, and it's sync detector and
audio are exceptional--better than what you'll find on much more
expensive receivers. For the price, the 150 an incredible value, in my
view.

Old February 10th 05, 03:41 PM
luckydaze

wrote in message
oups.com...
The 150 is an awesome little receiver and it looks like you're getting
some good mileage out of it. I don't find it to be competition for my
Drake R8B where DX is concerned. However, the 150, when attached to a
suitable antenna, is certainly DX-capable, and it's sync detector and
audio are exceptional--better than what you'll find on much more
expensive receivers. For the price, the 150 an incredible value, in my
view.

Yes this little receiver should be put on a pedestal. I'm able to lock on to
hard to get signals. One or more of the modes usually get a good hold on
that frequency that hassled you before. I find myself missing listening to
it when I go out!

Lucky