Old February 25th 05, 11:37 PM
Michael

Default Sony ICF-SW35 info...

Hiya...

Does anyone have any experience with the Sony ICF-SW34 ??? If so, can you
give me a review ???

Thanx in advance !!!!

Michael

Old February 25th 05, 11:39 PM
Michael

"Michael" wrote in message
Hiya...

Does anyone have any experience with the Sony ICF-SW34 ???

Correction: I mean ICF-SW35

Old February 26th 05, 05:01 AM
Joe Analssandrini

Dear Michael,

I own two of them. I have owned them both for three-plus years now. I
think this model is one of short wave radio's best "under-rated"
models. It is often not considered because it does not have a keypad
for direct frequency entry, so tuning is considered to be less
convenient than on other models.

Its sensitivity, while adequate, is also not the best. (This can be
rectified with the roll-up wire antenna packed with the radio.)
However, its dual-conversion circuitry, which affords excellent image
rejection, and its many memories (plus the auxiliary antenna) make up
for most of its "shortcomings." It has fifty memories (WRTH says five;
this is an error) plus two more if you count the "a" and "b" standby
memories, which are used for the alarms (you can put two extra
frequencies there), plus twelve (I think) more for the bottoms of the
short wave "bands." And don't forget LW, MW, and FM.

There is no tuning knob, but, contrary to what PASSPORT says, the 1 kHz
slewing is quite good (no muting or chugging) as is the "signal-seek
scan-stop-continue" feature.

There are only two features I miss: an input jack for an external
antenna (as it is you "clip" the external antenna to the whip) and a
button to let the time replace frequency (the time shows only when the
radio is off; you must set the time by using an external clock).

There is no synchronous-selectable sideband circuitry, but one wouldn't
expect that at its price. (And remember: you can pay twice the price
and still not get it!)

It does have a feature which was formerly rare, but is now becoming
somewhat more common: its memories are non-volatile. In other words, no
matter how long you leave out the batteries, your memories are
retained.

I leave one in each of my cars. I never know when I'll want to listen
to short wave radio! When I wish to use the radios, I just insert the
batteries and set the clock. Everything else that I have programmed is
still there.

For listening to the major broadcasters, this radio is excellent and
features fine MW and FM performance as well. The sound quality is quite
good for a radio its size; I do not find it "fatiguing."

The radios are lightweight but quite rugged and have excellent
construction-quality even though they are built in China. (They'd have
to be rugged to "survive" being left in a car winter and summer!) They
are also very easy on batteries so no AC-adapter is necessary.

The price is right, too. You can often find them for $75.00 or
sometimes even less from reputable dealers.

This radio would not be my first choice as an "only" short wave radio,
but as an "adjunct" radio (for keeping in the car, for casual listening
when travelling, etc.) you would be hard-pressed to find better, in my
judgment. If cash-strapped, it would make an adequate short wave
receiver until you could afford, say, an ICF-SW7600GR.

I don't know the purpose for which you are considering this radio, but,
if it falls within similar guidelines to those I have mentioned above,
it is my opinion that you would be very pleased with this receiver.

I like mine!

Best,

Joe

Old February 26th 05, 05:26 AM
Michael

"Joe Analssandrini" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thanx, Joe... Outstanding information... I'm fond of trying any and every
portable that I can get my hands on. My primary receiver for DX'ing at home
is my R-75, but I've developed a hobby in itself at trying all the portables
out there and comparing them to each other. I've never even seen the SW35
much less evaluated one for myself, but I'm going to pick one up. I've
heard all the pros and cons, and now I'm going to try it for myself...

Incidentally... I've had MANY portables and the one that stands out as the
best over all so far is the 7600g/7600gr. You can't beat it.

I'll be sure to post my evaluation of the SW35 once I get it and have a few
days usage under my belt...

Again.... Thanx for the excellent input !!!

Respectfully,

Michael

Old February 26th 05, 05:35 AM

Do a search for previous posting. There were some reviews about
three years ago. I bought one when the solar cycle was still high
and had good luck with it. However, on the west coast where signals
are low , and the solar cylce is heading down I find the sensitivity
not good enough. It is enjoyable for MW reception and the multi
memories can be set up any way you like. It is easy to monitor 10 MW
freqs.
I have had little luck clipping a hank of wire for improved SW
reception. All I seem to get is more background noise. I did a side
by side with a Sangean 808 in an outdoor setting and the addition of
the wire made the Sangean blow the doors off the Sony.
It is easy on batteries and the sound is quite pleasant for a
small radio. Selectivity is very good for this class of radio.
Lately I acquired a Kaito 1103 and I think it is superior in
every regard to the Sony except, I think battery consumption. Price
is about the same. If you have the chance check out the Kaito/Degen.

Regards, Bob

Old February 26th 05, 06:12 AM
Michael

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Hiya, Bob...

I own a DE-1101 and a KA-1102... great little radios... I've been impresses
with both of them for their price. Neither are perfect radios, but they
re-defined economic performance. I hear a lot of good things about the 1103.
It is said to be a great radio for short wave and also an excellent
performer for medium wave. I'm also told that it is a dream to tune. The
draw back as far as I understand it, is that the ergonomics of the 1103 SUCK
!!! Other then that, I hear tell that it is very sensitive and selective.
Such performance for the price was unheard of before the like of the
Kaito/Degen radios hit the market. I cant wait to see what the come up with
next !!!!

Michael

Old February 27th 05, 07:54 PM
Joe Analssandrini

Hello Michael,

Just a quick update. There are fourteen, not twelve,
"bottom-of-the-short wave bands" (which you can count as additional
"memories") and I should mention that the image rejection on the 'SW35
is superior to that of the ICF-SW7600GR, and while it's possible that
that may be partly due to the '7600GR's somewhat better sensitivity, it
appears to me that the 'SW35 is inherently better in that regard as I
find few, if any, images even with the auxiliary antenna attached.

I also didn't mention that the radio is a good performer on MW and FM,
as well.

All in all, it's a very fine receiver and I wish you the best of luck
with it. (You may find that you will want to leave it in your car with
the batteries removed, as I do, just for "emergencies" or casual
listening on the road.)

Best,

Joe

Old February 27th 05, 07:59 PM
Michael

[...]

Thanx again Joe.... Although a radio's memory features have never been
important to me, sensitivity and selectivity are. It is interesting to hear
that the SW35 is more selective then the 7600gr. After I have a few weeks
with it, I should be able to tell how is stacks up against my 7600gr as far
as sensitivity goes. I really love evaluating portables.

Michael