RadioBanter

-   -   Yosemite Sam (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/65554-yosemite-sam.html)

dxAce February 27th 05 09:43 AM

Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam was apparently busted on 17 February. The transmitter was
reportedly west of Albuquerque, New Mexico, just off I-40.
(various reports)

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Jim February 27th 05 10:39 AM

does anyone have an opinion on why yosemite sam would get busted so
fast? was he interfering with any licensed service? harassing amateur
nets? im just curious that the feds would get off their asses to get him
with all the jammers and QRM'ers and linear amped cb'ers swamping the
waves. not to mention the bad power poles and transformers that they
dont care about, and the abundance of consumer products that broadcast
noise across huge swathes of the spectrum. and bpl blanketing their
trial cities. why was he such a priority? or did he just fall into their
hands somehow?

Conan Ford February 27th 05 11:50 AM

(Jim) wrote in news:17383-4221A36B-4@storefull-
3138.bay.webtv.net:

does anyone have an opinion on why yosemite sam would get busted so
fast? was he interfering with any licensed service? harassing amateur
nets? im just curious that the feds would get off their asses to get him
with all the jammers and QRM'ers and linear amped cb'ers swamping the
waves. not to mention the bad power poles and transformers that they
dont care about, and the abundance of consumer products that broadcast
noise across huge swathes of the spectrum. and bpl blanketing their
trial cities. why was he such a priority? or did he just fall into their
hands somehow?

Well, he did broadcast on 5000 and 10000 khz over WWV(H) at one point, I
believe. Although, he was a minor annoyance on they are 50 kW stations or
something.

I wonder if they got a guy or just a transmitter and a computer playing a
sound file in a loop.

[email protected] February 27th 05 12:02 PM

Close enough to the Mexican Border to attract Interest ??

dxAce February 27th 05 01:47 PM

Jim wrote:

does anyone have an opinion on why yosemite sam would get busted so
fast?

The quick answer is that Sam operated for at least two incarnations on 3700
which is located inside an amateur band.

That tends to get folks moving rather rapidly to figure out who is running the
operation, and where it is coming from.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Invader3K February 27th 05 02:00 PM

Did anyone figure out what he was actually trying to accomplish? Was it
just annoying, or was there some sort of code involved?

dxAce February 28th 05 09:20 PM

running dogg wrote:

Tom Sevart wrote:

"running dogg" wrote in message

Could you post links to these "various reports"? I'd like to know more.
Given Sam's sophistication, I wonder if the guy they "caught" isn't a
fall guy meant to mollify the ham/SWL community's curiosity.

Oh can we stop with the conspiracy theories already?

http://www.dxing.com/dxr.htm

Thanks. It's about time that we had substantive info other than dxAce's
"various reports" shtick.

LOL... I gave you substantive info to begin with. Your choice was that I was making it
up.

That's as ridiculous as David Stinsons 'informed opinion'.

I'm sitting here still having a good laugh at the 'tard boys of shortwave.

Have fun with your conspiracy theorys, and try to leave reality to the big boys.

LMAO at the 'tards.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Jim February 28th 05 11:14 PM

i was watching this with much amusement and a great time was being had
by all....... and then pow-zow someone pulls out the "portable" card!
what the hell kind of crack is that? i mean "tard boy" and "ace hole"
are pretty specific (and hilarious) targeted insults but that "portable"
thing is pretty broad-banded! what are you some kind of radio bigot?
just because my radio is light am i a second class swl? well guess what!
i have a dream! i dream of a day when a man is judged by the content of
his loggings and not by the price of his rig! now everybody play nice
before someone gets an eye poked out! damn, cant we all just get along?

dxAce February 28th 05 11:37 PM

Jim wrote:

i was watching this with much amusement and a great time was being had
by all....... and then pow-zow someone pulls out the "portable" card!
what the hell kind of crack is that? i mean "tard boy" and "ace hole"
are pretty specific (and hilarious) targeted insults but that "portable"
thing is pretty broad-banded! what are you some kind of radio bigot?
just because my radio is light am i a second class swl? well guess what!
i have a dream! i dream of a day when a man is judged by the content of
his loggings and not by the price of his rig! now everybody play nice
before someone gets an eye poked out! damn, cant we all just get along?

responded to.

Are you 'second class'? I don't know. But I do know that you are obviously a
'tard without a dog in this fight.

Go tote it.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

David Stinson March 1st 05 12:28 AM

dxAceHole wrote:
Are you 'second class'? I don't know. But I do know that you are obviously a
'tard without a dog in this fight.

Looks like all but one of us can "get along," Jim...