Old February 27th 05, 08:32 PM
Al Arduengo

Default Thought on my Super ATS-909

I recently bought a barely used Super ATS-909 after having owned a stock
version for about a little over a year. Initially I was hesitant to get
one based on some negative reviews about the highly modified radio but
curiosity overcame me and besides, I actually love the stock version
especially when connected to a moderately long wire. The radio is rich
in features and really just a pleasure to use. The Super 909 is hands
down better!

In case no one knows the details, it has been modified to remove the
mute while tuning, the detent is removed from the tuning knob, the
speaker is replaced, the LEDs are replaced with blue ones, an external
AM antenna jack is added and selectivity/sensitivity are drastically
improved.

Tuning it is a pleasure. The knob turns easily enough that my finger
does not tire or feel irritated. The RF gain knob has a significantly
greater effect compared to the original version does. Turning the gain
down all the way will silence all but the absolutely strongest local AM
sources.

The display looks pretty cool in my opinion. Bright blue. Sound is
noticeably improved with the new speaker and seems to take higher
volumes much more easily.

It seems to be a little less forgiving on batteries now but I don't care
since I have mine on a 6V DC supply via the adapter anyway.

One of the improvements this radio got over the original version was in
sensitivity. Trust me when I say, it is a HUGE difference. This radio
easily matches and mostly exceeds my DE1102/DE1103/7600GR off the whip.
The original version of the 909 was all but deaf off the whip. Add a
40-60 ft random wire to the Super 909 and I had to turn down the RF gain
to keep it from overloading. I have heard many stations since I started
using this radio than I ever did on the original version. It is very
gratifying. I ordered a AN-LP1 and am finding it performs extremely
well with this radio. I am retiring my random wire since the AN-LP1
seems to do at least as well for me. I often don't even turn on the
LP1's controller but just use the loop.

The Super 909 has very good selectivity in my opinion. The only
negatives I have encountered is 1) strong adjacent stations force me to
detune a little to separate them from each other but it is still doable
and 2) SSB reception is a sight more difficult to achieve now. I knew
this going into the purchase but in the short time I have been a
listener I have grown to decide I find the ramblings of most HAMs to be,
let's just say, less than interesting. So no loss for me. Broadcast
listening is a treat now and I can hear much more out there than before.

I think this is a very nice portable radio and as long as skeptics keep
the fact that it is a portable in mind, it is hard to beat this thing in
comparisons to comparable models. I got a great deal on mine ($200) but
you can get them for $300-350 on line in a few places. I love mine and
will never get rid of it. I will be probably sell my stock version
though.

Thanks for listening and feel free to ask if you have questions about
these comments or the radio itself.

Cheers all.
-Al A.
Old February 27th 05, 09:09 PM
tianli_

I got a great deal on mine ($200)

I wouldn't have paid any more.

you can get them for $300-350 on line in a few places.

For that price I can buy a used tabletop which will blow the doors off of a
modified 909!

Old February 27th 05, 10:35 PM
uncle arnie

I have one of the stock versions and did the mute and detent mods myself.
What speaker did they put in for you? This is sort of a hybrid portable
almost table top radio - belying the other poster who criticized it. This
radio I have an R75 which has a much worse stock speaker than the 909.
has its place in my shack.

Old February 28th 05, 06:21 AM
Jim Hackett

"Al Arduengo" wrote in message
bal.net...
I recently bought a barely used Super ATS-909 after having owned a stock
version for about a little over a year.

[snipped]

The original version of the 909 was all but deaf off the whip.

While I will admit that my 1103 is more sensitive off the whip than my 909,
the Sangean is FAR from deaf off the whip.

Add a
40-60 ft random wire to the Super 909 and I had to turn down the RF gain
to keep it from overloading.

My 909 doesn't overload on a 50ft wire.

I have heard many stations since I started .

[snipped]

The only
negatives I have encountered is 1) strong adjacent stations force me to
detune a little to separate them from each other but it is still doable
and 2) SSB reception is a sight more difficult to achieve now. I knew
this going into the purchase but in the short time I have been a
listener I have grown to decide I find the ramblings of most HAMs to be,
let's just say, less than interesting. So no loss for me.

AFRTS and other mil brodcasts are pretty impotrtant to me. I agree the hams
aren't worth listening to.[snipped]

Thanks for listening and feel free to ask if you have questions about
these comments or the radio itself.

Cheers all.
-Al A.

If you're happy, that's all that matters. Enjoy your radio...

Old March 1st 05, 01:15 AM
D. Martin

The memory functions on the 909 are outstanding. Aside from that, it's
performance leaves alot to be desired. It's good that someone has
figured out a way to make it perform a little more respectably. I would
think instead of dumping cold-cash into one of these prima-donnas, the
thing to do would be to buy a satellit 800. Darren
http://www.geocities.com/apocalyptic121/index.html

Old March 1st 05, 03:29 AM

Isn't that one of those brand name (Sangean) radios that has a nasty
habit of the LED read outs fadeing out and when they do,ccrane company
charges about $50.00 to do a repair job on them? I bought one of those
ccrane radios that Art OHHHH MY GAWDDDD Bell and George NOOKY Noory tout
so much from ccrane company about seven years ago and the over rated
piece over priced of plastic JUNK didn't show me ****! I sent that piece
of **** back to ccrane company and then I bought an ATS-909 piece of
**** from ccrane company and that over rated over priced piece of ****
JUNK Crap! didn't show me **** either and I sent that piece of Crap back
to ccrane company too.(I don't doubt ccrane company still has
records/data of my purchases and returns to them) I will Never,Ever buy
anything from ccrane JUNK company again,I don't give a damn what folks
say about them.
cuhulin

Old March 1st 05, 05:41 AM
Radio E V E R H A R T

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:32:12 GMT, Al Arduengo
wrote:

[...]

Agree big time. The sens of my super 909 equals my 2010 on SW.
Absolutely amazing. And now the sound rocks.
Old March 1st 05, 07:14 AM

Just ask the man (ME) owned TWO of those over rated over priced pieces
of ccrane CRAP products that they pedal to the unwashed public.How do
they get away with it? Yeah,I was Very Disatisfied,that is why I sent
that plastic JUNK BACK to ccrane company.
cuhulin

Old March 1st 05, 07:37 AM

Not long after I had sent those two pieces of plastic CRAP (I don't even
call them real radios at all.Are y'all listening? Art Bell and George
Noory,,, Watch Out! George Noory,them Ouija Boards are gonna gitcha!)
so-called "radios" BACK to ccrane (Are you listening? Bob Crane)
company,I was listening to Bo Gritz on my shortwave radio one morning
and an old guy phoned in to Bo's radio talk show and he said he had
bought one of those ATS-909 shortwave radios from ccrane company and
when he saw that it was made of plastic,he sent that radio back to
ccrane company.
cuhulin