Old March 13th 05, 02:29 PM
BDK

In article ,
says...
One of these days, if I can find one at a not so insane price............a
couple of years ago, I put out my feelers on the NG for a 515 and some
fellow in the Southwest offered me his unit for almost 1000 dollars. A bit
high, but I guess either the demand was there or he must have thought I
staggered in from the local tavern.

Pete

"BDK" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Hmm, never heard this before about the 515 filters. My almost 25 year
old 515 works great, just needs a little alignment in the PBT circuit.
A friend's 20 year old one is fine and dandy too..

BDK

Come to think of it...........I wonder if it depends on the user
environment..........I just don't know.

Pete

We both bought them around the same time. Mine was made in Nov 81, his
in 85, one of the last ones made. His was new, mine was used. Mine has
two of the K filters in it, I can't remember what the name is either. It
also has a crystal 1.2 K and a ceramic 300hz filter.

I checked it last night, and clicked through the bandwiths and the
signal strength was the same in all modes, except the 300hz one, it
always reads a little lower with that one selected.

My friend's is ok too. Both have spent the last 20 or so years in air
conditioned houses, maybe that's it. I had a ton of problems with those
5 cent phono plug interconnects over the years. De-oxit took that
problem away.

BDK

One went on Ebay a year or two ago for $1400+, it was mint, but DAMN! I
almost put mine up after that, but the next one, at least as nice
looking as mine, but stock (mine has been modded by Gilfer and
Universal) with the crappy sounding speaker for about $675. I passed on
one that looked absolutely brand new, with the 24 channel mem box, and
that worthless speaker, for (I think it was) $750. None of the three
pieces had any signs, not the slightest, of use on it. I kick myself for
not taking it. Even the box was perfect.

Of all the receivers I have owned since I was a kid, the 515 is my
favorite. Right now, I have a 525 a Icom R71A, and a Hammarlund Hq 100
that bears little resemblance to the original radio inside (3 extra
tubes+ many mods), and works amazingly well for the 58 bucks I paid for
it..better than any under $500 (new) receiver I have ever tried. If only
it was a tiny bit more stable..

BDK
Old March 13th 05, 02:43 PM
dxAce

"BDK" wrote in message
[...]

I had a 515 that I bought back in the 90's with the memory, remote controller and
speaker for $500. It was mint.

It didn't stay here long. The package was split up to several buyers.

Pre eBay.... Ham Trader Yellow Sheet days.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 13th 05, 07:28 PM
BDK

In article ,
says...

"BDK" wrote in message
[...]

I've been looking for a reasonable priced remote, and they don't exist,
unless they are totally trashed. The last one I saw was over $200, and
it wasn't all that great. I saw some plans on how to make one, but I
can't find them, not that I really need it, the 525 is hooked up to the
PC anyway.

BDK