Old March 12th 05, 03:08 AM
Brian Denley

uncle arnie wrote:
Going to Netherlands, France, Italy, Germany in early summer. Anyone
with recent travel experience? I wld take a portable SW like an
ATS606 and wld like to take a pair of FRS radios also. If anyone has
had any trouble taking radios with them by plane I'd like to hear
about it. Thanks.

When I travlel to Europe, I take my Sony ICF-SW55 and but also the Sony
AN-LP1 active antenna. That antenna make a world of difference in a hotel
room. The radio performs much better with the AN-LP1 than on it's own whip.

--
Brian Denley

Old March 12th 05, 03:13 AM
* Dr. Artaud *

running dogg wrote in :

Somehow, many of you people fail to understand anything that a poster is
offering, and some, as myself, are guilty of sometimes reading more into a
post than the poster intended.

1. I wouldn't imagine that Americans are thought well of in most areas of
the world right now. My comments about not mentioning that he even knows an
American were meant facetiously. Nevertheless, my comments had nothing to
do with "knowing anyone in the Newsgroup".

2. The link was not provided as an endorsement, merely the result of a
simple search to show the radio with a slight discussion about radios
suitable for use in Europe, and most importantly, a warning about not using
American FRS radios in Europe.

Has Arnie suffered a stroke since his original post, leaving him unable to
respond first person? If so, wish him well for me.

Regards.

Dr. Artaud

Arnie's a Canadian, and I don't think that talking with people on a
usenet group counts as "knowing" them. As for two way radios, it would
probably be easier for Arnie to buy PMR radios when he gets to Europe
than to buy them online from a European dealer.

Old March 12th 05, 03:29 AM
running dogg

* Dr. Artaud * wrote:

running dogg wrote in :

Somehow, many of you people fail to understand anything that a poster is
offering, and some, as myself, are guilty of sometimes reading more into a
post than the poster intended.

1. I wouldn't imagine that Americans are thought well of in most areas of
the world right now. My comments about not mentioning that he even knows an
American were meant facetiously. Nevertheless, my comments had nothing to
do with "knowing anyone in the Newsgroup".

2. The link was not provided as an endorsement, merely the result of a
simple search to show the radio with a slight discussion about radios
suitable for use in Europe, and most importantly, a warning about not using
American FRS radios in Europe.

Has Arnie suffered a stroke since his original post, leaving him unable to
respond first person? If so, wish him well for me.

Sorry, my boredom (it's Friday night here in California, which means
nothing on shortwave, which means me surfing the net aimlessly) got the
best of me. I was just offering random thoughts. Too random (and too
much) for you, apparently, and for that I apologize.

Old March 12th 05, 03:55 AM
* Dr. Artaud *

running dogg wrote in :

Here I sit, same situation. My random thoughts are usually used to drive
co-workers crazy, and I begin slipping later in the evening. Also, we seem
to be plagued with endless winter here, something that is taking its toll
on many people.

Much Regards.

Dr. Artaud

Old March 12th 05, 04:06 AM
KD6EVM

uncle arnie wrote:
Going to Netherlands, France, Italy, Germany in early summer. Anyone with
recent travel experience? I wld take a portable SW like an ATS606 and wld
like to take a pair of FRS radios also. If anyone has had any trouble
taking radios with them by plane I'd like to hear about it. Thanks.

I have no advice on the FRS radios. Check with the regs for each
country. It will take you until early summer to sort them out.

Take any radio except a Sony unless it is in your carry-on. The ATS 606
should be funky enough to deter its theft. Anything wearing the Sony
label is a prime target for the black market.

The French don't hate Americans, just George Bush.

Have fun.

Tom
Old March 12th 05, 04:15 AM
running dogg

* Dr. Artaud * wrote:

running dogg wrote in :

Here I sit, same situation. My random thoughts are usually used to drive
co-workers crazy, and I begin slipping later in the evening. Also, we seem
to be plagued with endless winter here, something that is taking its toll
on many people.

It was 85 degrees F in Sacramento today. Previous record was 81. Usually
when we get balmy conditions here, you guys back there get pounded with
snow/ice/etc. But don't worry, it's suppoed to be 68 and cloudy by
Monday here, which means that you guys might get a break.

Much Regards.

Dr. Artaud

Old March 12th 05, 04:22 AM
uncle arnie

KD6EVM wrote:

uncle arnie wrote:
Going to Netherlands, France, Italy, Germany in early summer. Anyone
with
recent travel experience? I wld take a portable SW like an ATS606 and
wld
like to take a pair of FRS radios also. If anyone has had any trouble
taking radios with them by plane I'd like to hear about it. Thanks.

I have no advice on the FRS radios. Check with the regs for each
country. It will take you until early summer to sort them out.

Take any radio except a Sony unless it is in your carry-on. The ATS 606
should be funky enough to deter its theft. Anything wearing the Sony
label is a prime target for the black market.

The French don't hate Americans, just George Bush.

Have fun.

Tom

I will have fun. I'm Canadian so no worries in that dept. Not leaving
until late June, so planning early. I am looking forward to dial scanning
after long days of museums and cognac and beer etc.
Old March 12th 05, 04:27 AM
uncle arnie

running dogg wrote:

* Dr. Artaud * wrote:

uncle arnie wrote in
:

If you wish to spend time in Jail, take your FRS radios to Europe,
otherwise, leave them alone and do some research to find the Eurpoean
equivalent (which you probably won't be able to use here, if here is
America).

PMR-446 radios: http://www.two-way-radio.org.uk/frs-and-pmr446-walkie-
talkie-radios.htm

When in Europe, don't even mention that you know any Americans.

Arnie's a Canadian, and I don't think that talking with people on a
usenet group counts as "knowing" them. As for two way radios, it would
probably be easier for Arnie to buy PMR radios when he gets to Europe
than to buy them online from a European dealer.

I have confessed to having American, Mexican, Cuban, Kurdish, Iranian, South
African, Australian friends. I also have relatives in the US, Mexico,
China, Brazil. Y'know, it doesn't really matter to most people where
you're from, as long as you're polite and not arrogant. I'll have a look
at the PMR radios.
Old March 12th 05, 04:32 AM
uncle arnie

* Dr. Artaud * wrote:

running dogg wrote in :

Somehow, many of you people fail to understand anything that a poster is
offering, and some, as myself, are guilty of sometimes reading more into a
post than the poster intended.

1. I wouldn't imagine that Americans are thought well of in most areas of
the world right now. My comments about not mentioning that he even knows
an American were meant facetiously. Nevertheless, my comments had nothing
to do with "knowing anyone in the Newsgroup".

2. The link was not provided as an endorsement, merely the result of a
simple search to show the radio with a slight discussion about radios
suitable for use in Europe, and most importantly, a warning about not
using American FRS radios in Europe.

Has Arnie suffered a stroke since his original post, leaving him unable to
respond first person? If so, wish him well for me.

No stroke here. Just a busy rest of the day. Lots of snow today here in
the Great White North. As far as I can tell Cdn FRS radios are the same as
US models. I did not take them when I went to Mexico a while back.

Can't say I have my finger on the pulse of world opinion on Americans. I do
know that the current administration is thought of as suspect, but I have
the impression that's dying down with some time passing.

R.BULGARIA B'04 dxAce Shortwave 0 October 25th 04 02:16 PM
Radio Budapest B04; ADXB-OE QSL-Aktion Extended Until December 31 dxAce Shortwave 0 October 23rd 04 12:24 PM
R Prague B04 sked Mike Terry Shortwave 0 October 5th 04 09:51 PM
Bulgaria A04 N8KDV Shortwave 0 March 19th 04 05:35 PM
Fwd: R Prague A 04 Summer Schedule WA4009SWL Shortwave 1 March 18th 04 07:32 PM