Old March 13th 05, 03:09 PM
J P

Default Posters Locations

Am new to this group, and was wondering where each poster is located for
reference of conditions, skip, etc.

I'm located in Viera, Florida a new town, 18.1 miles due west of Cocoa
Beach, FL (where I work) and ca. 50 miles due east of Orlando, Florida.

Using a Kenwood R-2000 and MFJ-1020C for SWL and a Kenwood TS-830s and
Buddipole antenna for hamming (which is very limited here.) Licensed as
ham since 1965.

Thanks in advance!
John-K4JDP

Old March 13th 05, 04:01 PM
Caveat Lector

Howdy John
I am not sure what good it would be to know poster's locations.

But for skip conditions etc, the beacon systems around the world are great
real time indicators

See NCDXF/IARU Beacon Network
http://www.ncdxf.org/Beacon/intro.html

G3USF's Worldwide List of HF Beacons
http://www.keele.ac.uk/depts/por/28.htm

Also
ARRL prop charts
http://www.arrl.org/qst/propcharts/

C.L. - Reader Beware --
I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old March 13th 05, 04:24 PM
§ Dr. Artaud §

(J P) wrote in
:

Acrimony, to get you familiar with the word, if you are not as of yet:

Main Entry: ac·ri·mo·ny
Pronunciation: 'a-kr&-"mO-nE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -nies
Etymology: Middle French or Latin; Middle French acrimonie, from Latin
acrimonia, from acr-, acer
: harsh or biting sharpness especially of words, manner, or disposition

You will find a lot of this here, as well as some actual "On Topic"
posts. (everybody makes mistakes).

Anyway, welcome to the NG.

I live in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, use a Icom R-75, Yaesu FRG-100, Yaesu
FT-840, Sony 7600GR, and more. I have one outdoor long wire antenna and
one indoor antenna that circumscribes the small room where I keep my
radio and computer. Oddly enough, they usually provide similar
performance, especially for the range of SWLing that I do. (no intense
DXing).

I am curious about the inclusion of your e-mail address without any
attempt to keep spam-bots from purloining it, thereby risking inundation
with spam? Also your FCC license number change. Perhaps I am showing my
ignorance (most likely), but does your FCC number change as you progress
to higher levels, did it expire and was reissued, or is your call sign a
vanity sign?

Has long listening sessions ever given you tinnitus? If so, try visiting
Jonathan Creek in Maggie Valley, NC. A very restful place.

Regards.

Dr. Artaud

Old March 13th 05, 04:50 PM

I am located on my doggys couch www.cattledog.com about 275
footsteps North across Highway 80 from Metrocenter Mall
www.metromalljackson.com over here on the West side of
Jackson,Mississippi and it T'IS a luverly day here too,just like
Springtime :{) I do believe Spring has has sprung.

........D-Day Larry

Old March 13th 05, 04:50 PM
Caveat Lector

"§ Dr. Artaud §" wrote in message
(J P) wrote in
:

SNIP

I am curious about the inclusion of your e-mail address without any
attempt to keep spam-bots from purloining it, thereby risking inundation
with spam?

This is the one reason many posters use an alias and no e-mail address --
also to avoid harassment should some nut get offended by your posts.

Also your FCC license number change. Perhaps I am showing my
ignorance (most likely), but does your FCC number change as you progress
to higher levels, did it expire and was reissued, or is your call sign a
vanity sign?

Callsign allotment can be found at QRZ.com
http://www.qrz.com/index.html
Look under DETAILED INFORMATION then CODE to determine vanity calls etc.

P.S. QRZ now lists Ham e-mail addresses in picture form (jpg or bitmap) to
foil the spam-bots.

An amateur does not have to change calls as they upgrade.
One may first obtain a Tech license and receive a 2x3 sequential call sign.
e.g. KA#AAA
Should they upgrade to a higher license, they may elect to retain their
original call.
73 C. L. - Reader Beware
--
I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old March 13th 05, 06:07 PM

Us webtv users do not get viruses like computers get,no hard drive,thus
cannot download any computer viruses with webtv.We do get spam and junk
mails though.It is possible to forward an attatchement in an email from
webtv to computer users but I have never (to my knowledge anyway) done
anything like that before and I have been useing webtv since October
1999.There is a website (I forget which one right now) where I can send
websites/URL's to and find if it has a computer virus in it before or if
I want to forward a website to computer users.Webtv and computers
compliment each other.I use webtv and I also use my computer.Both have
advantages and both have disadvantages.
cuhulin

Old March 13th 05, 06:26 PM

I am an extra class with my original novice call.
Terry

Old March 14th 05, 03:51 AM
Brian Denley

J P wrote:
Am new to this group, and was wondering where each poster is located
for reference of conditions, skip, etc.

I'm located in Viera, Florida a new town, 18.1 miles due west of Cocoa
Beach, FL (where I work) and ca. 50 miles due east of Orlando,
Florida.

Using a Kenwood R-2000 and MFJ-1020C for SWL and a Kenwood TS-830s and
Buddipole antenna for hamming (which is very limited here.) Licensed
as ham since 1965.

Thanks in advance!
John-K4JDP

Melrose MA, about 1 mile from the original National Radio plant.

--
Brian Denley

Old March 14th 05, 06:43 PM
Michael Lawson

"J P" wrote in message
Am new to this group, and was wondering where each poster is located

for
reference of conditions, skip, etc.

I'm located in Viera, Florida a new town, 18.1 miles due west of

Cocoa
Beach, FL (where I work) and ca. 50 miles due east of Orlando,

Florida.

Using a Kenwood R-2000 and MFJ-1020C for SWL and a Kenwood TS-830s

and
Buddipole antenna for hamming (which is very limited here.) Licensed

as
ham since 1965.

Cincinnati, OH, using a Grundig Satellit 800 and a 50'
long wire with a 9:1 transformer. Still have my old
Realistic DX-440 for usage with the kids, and a
Hallicrafters S20R Sky Champion in, um, a need of
a bit of work.

--Mike L.