Old November 9th 04, 02:53 AM
Peter Dougherty

Default Broadcast transmitter locations

Hi guys,

In the next 8 months or so my XYL and I will be moving out of NYC into
our own place, hopefully in Fairfield Co. CT or in Westchester County,
NY.

I'm now about 1/2 a mile away from 50kW worth of 1560 "Radio Disney"
in Maspeth, Queens, and I want to ensure I don't wind up close to
another boradcast transmitter after the move. I enjoy operating 80M,
and I would like to try 160 if I can get enough real estate to make it
happen, but being close to that much MW Broadcast RF again isn't
something I want to contemplate.

Is there a resource somewhere on the Web that will allow me to find AM
transmitter sites (by geographc region) easily enough? Sure, they
should be self-evident when in the immediate area, but I don't want to
find any last-minute surprises either.

Thanks in advance.

73 de Peter, W2IRT
(ex-AB2NZ, VE3THX)

Please reply to Double-you Two Eye Are Tee at Arrl.net

Old November 9th 04, 07:36 AM
nitespark

Peter Dougherty wrote:

[...]

Try this website-

http://www.radio-locator.com/

Andy
WD4KDN

--
"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I
approved of it."

Old November 9th 04, 07:47 AM
Gary S.

On 9 Nov 2004 01:53:04 GMT, Peter Dougherty
wrote:

In the next 8 months or so my XYL and I will be moving out of NYC into
our own place, hopefully in Fairfield Co. CT or in Westchester County,
NY.

I'm now about 1/2 a mile away from 50kW worth of 1560 "Radio Disney"
in Maspeth, Queens, and I want to ensure I don't wind up close to
another boradcast transmitter after the move. I enjoy operating 80M,
and I would like to try 160 if I can get enough real estate to make it
happen, but being close to that much MW Broadcast RF again isn't
something I want to contemplate.

Is there a resource somewhere on the Web that will allow me to find AM
transmitter sites (by geographc region) easily enough? Sure, they
should be self-evident when in the immediate area, but I don't want to
find any last-minute surprises either.

I recall seeing something on the FCC website. Too tired now to look
for it.

Also worth checking with aviation maps or the FAA, as any tower above
a certain number of feet has to be approved by them as well.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Old November 10th 04, 04:43 PM
AlanDean

Peter,

Go to http://www.fccinfo.com/ and enter either the coordinates or location
of the center of your area of interest and search for AM stations within
however many kilometers you wish. This site downloads the FCC CDBS database
nightly and parses it in very user friendly fashion.

Regards,

Al

Old November 10th 04, 04:43 PM
Eric Ferguson

Try the North American Radio Logbook. www.geocities/amlogbook/amlog It goes
by Calls, State, City, Frequency, and most important, Tower Location Sites
(Latitude & Longitude). It lists all of North America and Canada. Latest
update is 11/6/04. Hope this is of some help....Eric KA6USJ

Old November 10th 04, 06:13 PM
Peter Dougherty

nitespark said :

Try this website-

http://www.radio-locator.com/

Hi folks,

Thanks to one and all for the myraid of suggestions I've received
privately and here on Usenet. Very helpful, and I think I'm in pretty
good shape for now.

Walt, I had no idea how powerful the Broadcasters were in your part of
the world. That's positively insane, but it would explain why I was
able to hear so much on LF and MF when I was driving between Swansea
and London this summer.

Just out of curiousity, are there any "clear" frequencies, I guess the
equivalent of our Class A (??) stations - one powerhouse station for
the region and nothing else? I.E. something that has no competition
and can essentially be heard clearly at night everywhere in Europe
with no hetrodyne. On this side of the Atlantic there are a number of
such beasts, 770 and 880 in NYC, 650 in Atlanta, 700 in Cincinnatti,
760 in Detroit, 1120 in St. Louis and a bunch of others.