RadioBanter

-   -   Drake R8B... Discontinued! (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/66772-drake-r8b-discontinued.html)

Michael Lawson March 14th 05 06:33 PM

"dxAce" wrote in message
Fresh from the Universal site:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0082.html

Scroll down and read the sorry news.

This is a sad day indeed.

Damn. And I wasn't ready yet to buy one.

--Mike L.

Michael Lawson March 14th 05 06:33 PM

"dxAce" wrote in message

dxAce wrote:

wrote:

My guess is they'll be gone by the end of the day!

Update from the website:

"Universal Radio has one left as of 03/14/05 12:30 P.M. "

Now added "Please call to confirm availability".

Probably gone by the end of the day.

Watch Radio Mart snap them up.

--Mike L.

dxAce March 14th 05 06:36 PM

Michael Lawson wrote:

"Michael Lawson" wrote in message

"dxAce" wrote in message
Fresh from the Universal site:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0082.html

Scroll down and read the sorry news.

This is a sad day indeed.

Damn. And I wasn't ready yet to buy one.

I've got this bad feeling that the prices on used R8/R8A/R8B
are about to go up a bit, for a while at least.

I guess at this point you might wish to call AES and/or HRO to inquire if they
still have any in stock.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] March 14th 05 06:39 PM

A very fine receiver indeed.
Drake going out of serious SW radio manufacture is very sad.
There is a long line of very fine Drake receivers going back decades.
The Drake R7A remains an awesome performer even to this day.
My review of the Drake R8A/B in Werner Funkenhausers WHAMLOG confirms
they
are venerable radio's.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
RX Drake R8B, SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D GE SRIII
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
Hallicrafters SX-100, Eddystone 940
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop
http://www.dxing.info/about/dx=ADers/plimmer.dx

All I can say is, I'm glad the R8B was still around last year, when I
gave myself permission to buy a nice tabletop set. It surpassed all my
expectations, and then some.

Steve

Invader3K March 14th 05 06:46 PM

AES' website www.aesham.com lists it still. No mention of being
discontinued (though obviously that means nothing).

Michael Lawson March 14th 05 06:46 PM

"dxAce" wrote in message
Fresh from the Universal site:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0082.html

Scroll down and read the sorry news.

This is a sad day indeed.

Damn. And I wasn't ready yet to buy one.

I've got this bad feeling that the prices on used R8/R8A/R8B
are about to go up a bit, for a while at least.

I guess at this point you might wish to call AES and/or HRO to

inquire if they
still have any in stock.

I think I'd rather not torture myself right now about it. I can
scrounge up some dollars for the Hamvention, but it's far
short of the going rate for a new R8B. The vast majority of
my spare buckage is heading toward replacing our garage
doors. Kinda like that Harley commercial:

garage doors -- R8B
R8B -- garage doors

--Mike L.

dxAce March 14th 05 06:56 PM

Invader3K wrote:

AES' website www.aesham.com lists it still. No mention of being
discontinued (though obviously that means nothing).

I just called Milwaukee AES and they had one left. The fellow there did not know
how many were left at the other AES stores, but he figured there were only a
few.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Lucky March 14th 05 06:59 PM

"dxAce" wrote in message
Fresh from the Universal site:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0082.html

Scroll down and read the sorry news.

This is a sad day indeed.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

HA HA HA

Such a great receiver that no one is buying them! I love it. Soon we won't
hear dxace the "kids voice" hawk his old equipment anymore. This is too
cool.
Happy day for me....

Lucky