RadioBanter

-   -   Drake R8B... Discontinued! (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/66772-drake-r8b-discontinued.html)

dxAce March 14th 05 04:10 PM

Drake R8B... Discontinued!

Fresh from the Universal site:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0082.html

Scroll down and read the sorry news.

This is a sad day indeed.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] March 14th 05 04:15 PM

dxAce wrote:
Fresh from the Universal site:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0082.html

Scroll down and read the sorry news.

This is a sad day indeed.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

That's weird. I wonder why they didn't just come out and tell me it was
discontinued? Anyway, this is very sad.

All I can say is: SNAP 'EM UP!! You won't be able to purchase them new
much longer!

Steve

David March 14th 05 04:19 PM

15 years ain't a bad run. I hope they continue to support it for
another 15 years.

dxAce March 14th 05 04:34 PM

dxAce wrote:

Fresh from the Universal site:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0082.html

Scroll down and read the sorry news.

This is a sad day indeed.

I just got done speaking on the telephone with Universal, they indicate that
they have three (3) R8B's left in stock and that is going to be it!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] March 14th 05 04:38 PM

My guess is they'll be gone by the end of the day!

Steve

John Plimmer March 14th 05 05:34 PM

A very fine receiver indeed.
Drake going out of serious SW radio manufacture is very sad.
There is a long line of very fine Drake receivers going back decades.
The Drake R7A remains an awesome performer even to this day.
My review of the Drake R8A/B in Werner Funkenhausers WHAMLOG confirms they
are venerable radio's.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
RX Drake R8B, SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D GE SRIII
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
Hallicrafters SX-100, Eddystone 940
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

dxAce March 14th 05 05:55 PM

wrote:

My guess is they'll be gone by the end of the day!

Update from the website:

"Universal Radio has one left as of 03/14/05 12:30 P.M. "

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] March 14th 05 06:11 PM

Sad to see yet another maker of high end receivers pull out of the
market. Especially one with so many historic ties to the SWL hobbyist.
It is as the old Petula Clark song goes: A Sign of the Times.

dxAce March 14th 05 06:19 PM

dxAce wrote:

wrote:

My guess is they'll be gone by the end of the day!

Update from the website:

"Universal Radio has one left as of 03/14/05 12:30 P.M. "

Now added "Please call to confirm availability".

Probably gone by the end of the day.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

dxAce March 14th 05 06:26 PM

dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

wrote:

My guess is they'll be gone by the end of the day!

Update from the website:

"Universal Radio has one left as of 03/14/05 12:30 P.M. "

Now added "Please call to confirm availability".

Probably gone by the end of the day.

Now... at 1825, the page says discontinued... the last one Universal had must
have been sold.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Michael Lawson March 14th 05 06:33 PM

"dxAce" wrote in message
Fresh from the Universal site:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0082.html

Scroll down and read the sorry news.

This is a sad day indeed.

Damn. And I wasn't ready yet to buy one.

--Mike L.

Michael Lawson March 14th 05 06:33 PM

"dxAce" wrote in message

dxAce wrote:

wrote:

My guess is they'll be gone by the end of the day!

Update from the website:

"Universal Radio has one left as of 03/14/05 12:30 P.M. "

Now added "Please call to confirm availability".

Probably gone by the end of the day.

Watch Radio Mart snap them up.

--Mike L.

dxAce March 14th 05 06:36 PM

Michael Lawson wrote:

"Michael Lawson" wrote in message

"dxAce" wrote in message
Fresh from the Universal site:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0082.html

Scroll down and read the sorry news.

This is a sad day indeed.

Damn. And I wasn't ready yet to buy one.

I've got this bad feeling that the prices on used R8/R8A/R8B
are about to go up a bit, for a while at least.

I guess at this point you might wish to call AES and/or HRO to inquire if they
still have any in stock.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] March 14th 05 06:39 PM

A very fine receiver indeed.
Drake going out of serious SW radio manufacture is very sad.
There is a long line of very fine Drake receivers going back decades.
The Drake R7A remains an awesome performer even to this day.
My review of the Drake R8A/B in Werner Funkenhausers WHAMLOG confirms
they
are venerable radio's.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
RX Drake R8B, SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D GE SRIII
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
Hallicrafters SX-100, Eddystone 940
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop
http://www.dxing.info/about/dx=ADers/plimmer.dx

All I can say is, I'm glad the R8B was still around last year, when I
gave myself permission to buy a nice tabletop set. It surpassed all my
expectations, and then some.

Steve

Invader3K March 14th 05 06:46 PM

AES' website www.aesham.com lists it still. No mention of being
discontinued (though obviously that means nothing).

Michael Lawson March 14th 05 06:46 PM

"dxAce" wrote in message
Fresh from the Universal site:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0082.html

Scroll down and read the sorry news.

This is a sad day indeed.

Damn. And I wasn't ready yet to buy one.

I've got this bad feeling that the prices on used R8/R8A/R8B
are about to go up a bit, for a while at least.

I guess at this point you might wish to call AES and/or HRO to

inquire if they
still have any in stock.

I think I'd rather not torture myself right now about it. I can
scrounge up some dollars for the Hamvention, but it's far
short of the going rate for a new R8B. The vast majority of
my spare buckage is heading toward replacing our garage
doors. Kinda like that Harley commercial:

garage doors -- R8B
R8B -- garage doors

--Mike L.

dxAce March 14th 05 06:56 PM

Invader3K wrote:

AES' website www.aesham.com lists it still. No mention of being
discontinued (though obviously that means nothing).

I just called Milwaukee AES and they had one left. The fellow there did not know
how many were left at the other AES stores, but he figured there were only a
few.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Lucky March 14th 05 06:59 PM

"dxAce" wrote in message
Fresh from the Universal site:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0082.html

Scroll down and read the sorry news.

This is a sad day indeed.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

HA HA HA

Such a great receiver that no one is buying them! I love it. Soon we won't
hear dxace the "kids voice" hawk his old equipment anymore. This is too
cool.
Happy day for me....

Lucky

dxAce March 14th 05 07:05 PM

Lucky wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message
Fresh from the Universal site:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0082.html

Scroll down and read the sorry news.

This is a sad day indeed.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

HA HA HA

Such a great receiver that no one is buying them!

No one? At least three were sold just today.

I love it. Soon we won't
hear dxace the "kids voice" hawk his old equipment anymore. This is too
cool.
Happy day for me....

But I'll still have my equipment, and still out DX you any day of the week.
After all, I already have.

LMAO

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] March 14th 05 07:17 PM

I don't think Drake pulling out of the SW receiver market has anything
to do with the quality of the product. Every review I've read gives
their products high marks. They are pulling out for the same reason so
many other companies have stopped making SW receivers - declining
demand. Both hobbies, SWLing and Ham radio are gradually losing out to
competition from the internet and other ways of communicating and
getting information. Consequently there is less demand for the
asssociated hardware.

Look around at the number of SWL and amateur radio retailers that have
closed in the past decade. The latest Passport to World Band Radio has
advertisements for one principal radio manufacturer when is past years
they had many. Signs of change are unfortunately everywhere.

dxAce March 14th 05 07:20 PM

David wrote:

Grove.

Grove has two (2) left. They indicated that no more are available from Drake.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] March 14th 05 07:27 PM

I am sorry to see that Drake is discontinuing those Great Radios.I wish
I had the money to buy one.I can wish,can't I? Maybe someday a Drake
radio will turn up in the Goodwill thrift store I check out two or three
times every week.Even if it needs repair,I would send it somewhere for
repair.
cuhulin

Ron Hardin March 14th 05 07:30 PM

Strategies vary, but if I didn't have one, I'm of the school that it's
better to get a receiver that's actually made currently than be stuck
with a broken one when it breaks.

The R8B is very nice but it's also a lot of money. My chief unmet need
is a better selectivity against really huge signals on the adjacent
channel, so as to copy 910 kHz LSB when there's a local on 920.

Unfortunately I can't null the 920 because I'm already nulling another
station on 910.

The R8B does pretty well but I need more dB here.
--
Ron Hardin

dxAce March 14th 05 07:35 PM

Ron Hardin wrote:

Strategies vary, but if I didn't have one, I'm of the school that it's
better to get a receiver that's actually made currently than be stuck
with a broken one when it breaks.

Service will be available for years, either at Drake or through another tech.

My R7 (still one of the best dx machines ever built) is still readily serviced
by numerous technicians throughout the USA.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] March 14th 05 07:36 PM

The value,money value and history value,of those Drake Radios and all
Drake Radios will only go up from now on.It is as though Harley Davidson
was to stop building those Great Harley Davidson Motorcycles.
cuhulin

dxAce March 14th 05 07:37 PM

"dxAce" wrote in message
Fresh from the Universal site:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0082.html

Scroll down and read the sorry news.

This is a sad day indeed.

Damn. And I wasn't ready yet to buy one.

I've got this bad feeling that the prices on used R8/R8A/R8B
are about to go up a bit, for a while at least.

I guess at this point you might wish to call AES and/or HRO to inquire if they
still have any in stock.

I called HRO and they stated that they never carried the R8B.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Lucky March 14th 05 07:51 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...

dxAce wrote:
Fresh from the Universal site:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0082.html

Scroll down and read the sorry news.

This is a sad day indeed.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

That's weird. I wonder why they didn't just come out and tell me it was
discontinued? Anyway, this is very sad.

All I can say is: SNAP 'EM UP!! You won't be able to purchase them new
much longer!

Steve

Steve,
for the money, I'd much rather buy a AOR 7030+. The same guy that designed
the Lowe 150 designed the 7030. BTW, I hooked up my 150 last night and the
sound quality is just superb. Just a pleasure to listen to. But, yeah,
better to get the AOR for the money any day.

Lucky

[email protected] March 14th 05 09:12 PM

Good points all of them. Yes, I think if you have a favorite high-end
table top, hold onto it because there are only a few companies making
them any more. I'm not sure shortwave will prove to be a viable
alternative to the net in China. The governmental net controls are far
from perfect right now. I see a gradual loosening of controls on
society in general and the net in particular as China becomes more
secure in it's position as a major economic and political player.

mike0219116 March 14th 05 10:37 PM

Geez, this is depressing. I saw this comming but I guess I was in
denial to an extent.

I bought a new one from Universal last year and I love it. It's a
fantastic radio.

I've got a JRC NRD-545, but it mostly collects dust while my R8B gets
most of the use in my shack.

Tony Meloche March 15th 05 02:10 AM

I am sorry to hear of the demise of the R8B. I have an Icom R-75, love
it, and wouldn't part with it. But I still think the Drake was the best
receiver I ever had a chance to use, though briefly. A wonderful machine.

Somewhere down the road, some company, likely an extant one, but
perhaps a "new face", will come out with a receiver that will quickly
become the new benchmark in the field. It will be interesting to see
what this future receiver will be like. I honestly think that's
inevitable. Though the market for high-end receivers is getting
smaller, it is not going to disappear anytime soon.

I also think - in fact I'm willing to bet on it - that when that
receiver appears in the marketplace, if people thought the R8B was
expensive . . .

Tony

Les March 15th 05 02:44 AM

dxAce wrote:
Fresh from the Universal site:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0082.html

Scroll down and read the sorry news.

This is a sad day indeed.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Indeed it is Steve. Having owned the R8 and R8B (I passed on the R8A)
and having owned an SPR-4, 2B, R4, R4A, R4B, R4C and R7 over the years,
I can say without a doubt, R. L. Drake was a leader in manufacturing
excellent receivers. I do think however, the R8B was the best of the
line with reservations. That tuning knob and the lousy mechanical
encoder turned me off. Of course, that didn't preclude me from many
pleasurable hours sitting in front of that otherwise fine receiver.
Having said that, it is a sad day for shortwave enthusiasts when you
think that the Japanese manufacturers haven't ever produced one that
didn't need agc, filter, synchronous detector and audio modifications
to make it perform. I realize that we all had to modify our beloved
hollow state receivers over the years, but the Japanese have led the
free world in crappy audio, filters and agc's for decades. Shortwave
receivers are but a minute drop in the bucket of electronics. If and
when a manufacturer can sell shortwave receivers in the numbers such as
dvd players, tv's etc., we will see this sort of thing happen.

Just my 2 cents.

Les Locklear
Monitoring since ' 57
Monitoring from the Gulf of Mexico
Hammarlund R-274C/FRR (SP-600JX-14)
R-1051B/URR
Ten Tec RX-340
Alpha Delta Sloper
Quantum QX Loop
Various Longwires
CU-2279/BRC Multicoupler
http://www.hammarlund.info/homepage.html

starman March 15th 05 03:05 AM

wrote:

My guess is they'll be gone by the end of the day!

Wonder who got the highest or most recent serial number? That one will
be a collectors item. I suppose Drake kept a few too.

[email protected] March 15th 05 03:19 AM

I wish MFJ Enterprises www.MFJEnterprises.com would start building
shortwave radios and other kinds of radios too.I would certainly buy one
or two,if I could afford it.I can't speak for the performance of their
products because I don't own any of their products,,, yet.I am going to
MFJ Enterprises in a couple of months (they are just up the road from
me,so to speak) and buy one of their antennas.I think their products do
look great though.
cuhulin

running dogg March 15th 05 03:29 AM

Tony Meloche wrote:

I am sorry to hear of the demise of the R8B. I have an Icom R-75, love
it, and wouldn't part with it. But I still think the Drake was the best
receiver I ever had a chance to use, though briefly. A wonderful machine.

Somewhere down the road, some company, likely an extant one, but
perhaps a "new face", will come out with a receiver that will quickly
become the new benchmark in the field. It will be interesting to see
what this future receiver will be like. I honestly think that's
inevitable. Though the market for high-end receivers is getting
smaller, it is not going to disappear anytime soon.

I also think - in fact I'm willing to bet on it - that when that
receiver appears in the marketplace, if people thought the R8B was
expensive . . .

Degen is already talking about a high end receiver, much more high end
than their usual $50 portables. It will probably be marketed to the
West, since it will likely cost much more than anybody in Degen's
traditional market (domestic China) will be able to pay. That indicates
to me that Degen must have pretty strong sales of its portables like the
1102 and 1103 in the West.

Telamon March 15th 05 03:47 AM

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Fresh from the Universal site:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0082.html

Scroll down and read the sorry news.

This is a sad day indeed.

I was having a good day until I read this.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

BDK March 15th 05 04:10 AM

In article . com,
says...

dxAce wrote:
Fresh from the Universal site:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0082.html

Scroll down and read the sorry news.

This is a sad day indeed.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

You have to remember, there was about a ten year gap from when the R7A
was discontinued, until when the R8 came out, so an R9 may show up
someday...

BDK

[email protected] March 15th 05 04:12 AM

Tony Meloche wrote:
[...]

I agree. Hmmm...I wonder what John Thorpe is doing these days...

Steve

Dave Stadt March 15th 05 04:46 AM

wrote in message
I wish MFJ Enterprises www.MFJEnterprises.com would start building
shortwave radios and other kinds of radios too.I would certainly buy one
or two,if I could afford it.I can't speak for the performance of their
products because I don't own any of their products,,, yet.I am going to
MFJ Enterprises in a couple of months (they are just up the road from
me,so to speak) and buy one of their antennas.I think their products do
look great though.
cuhulin

There is a reason they are known as Mighty Fine Junk.