Old March 18th 05, 03:20 AM

The very fact that you performed this test demonstrates that you were
at least able to entertain the possibility that the S800 had a
weakness, and that, sir, is simply inexcusable. I realize that this is
usenet and freedom of thought and speech is rampant, but asking people
to suppose that the S800 might not be the best receiver in this (or
any) world is going too far. There is no receiver in the world that can
even begin to compete against the S800. There *could not be* another
receiver that could compete against the S800. If you want to talk about
high grade, military equipment....bring it on. The S800 is better than
all of that garbage! I hope I never have to point any of this out
again!!!!!

Steve

Old March 18th 05, 03:23 AM

Oh, and by the way, I hope that that "That's why there was an R8B"
crack wasn't intended to suggest that the R8B is comparable in overall
performance to the S800. The S800 is to the R8B what a WJ100 is to a
Grundig Mini World 100 PE.

Steve

Old March 18th 05, 03:36 AM
Michael Lawson

wrote in message
ups.com...
Oh, and by the way, I hope that that "That's why there was an R8B"
crack wasn't intended to suggest that the R8B is comparable in

overall
performance to the S800. The S800 is to the R8B what a WJ100 is to a
Grundig Mini World 100 PE.

And I thought the Mini World 100 PE was the
be-all and end-all of SW receivers.

--Mike L.

Old March 18th 05, 04:04 AM

Well, I say the S800 is far better than the R8B. It's better than any
receiver and therefore immune to all criticism.

Steve

Old March 18th 05, 04:05 AM

I'm babbling about the greatest receiver in the world: the S800!

Steve

Old March 18th 05, 04:10 AM
Howard

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:36:06 -0500, "Michael Lawson"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Oh, and by the way, I hope that that "That's why there was an R8B"
crack wasn't intended to suggest that the R8B is comparable in

overall
performance to the S800. The S800 is to the R8B what a WJ100 is to a
Grundig Mini World 100 PE.

And I thought the Mini World 100 PE was the
be-all and end-all of SW receivers.

--Mike L.

Well it's pretty darn obvious to me that none of you so-called "avid
dx hounds" know little to nothing about radios. If you did you would
realize that the "Best of the best of the best" is a Coby am portable
with an MFJ shortwave converter hooked up to a Tiny-Tenna!

And you guys call yourselves shortwave enthusiasts...............

Howard
1 station logged
0 confirmed

Old March 18th 05, 04:14 AM

Well it's pretty darn obvious to me that none of you so-called "avid
dx hounds" know little to nothing about radios. If you did you would
realize that the "Best of the best of the best" is a Coby am portable
with an MFJ shortwave converter hooked up to a Tiny-Tenna!

And you guys call yourselves shortwave enthusiasts...............

An S800 will beat a Coby any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Steve

Old March 18th 05, 10:47 AM
dxAce

Jim wrote:

On 17 Mar 2005 19:20:59 -0800, wrote:

The very fact that you performed this test demonstrates that you were
at least able to entertain the possibility that the S800 had a
weakness, and that, sir, is simply inexcusable. I realize that this is
usenet and freedom of thought and speech is rampant, but asking people
to suppose that the S800 might not be the best receiver in this (or
any) world is going too far. There is no receiver in the world that can
even begin to compete against the S800. There *could not be* another
receiver that could compete against the S800. If you want to talk about
high grade, military equipment....bring it on. The S800 is better than
all of that garbage! I hope I never have to point any of this out
again!!!!!

WTF are you babbling about? Who ever claimed that the S800 was the
"best receiver" and "has no weaknesses"?

I simply performed his "good test". The S800 won. Note - AGAIN -
that I have an original R8 with the double sideband only sync. The
R8B would have performed better, because it's sync is identical to the
S800's - both were designed by Drake you know!

The R8 is simply outdated, having been designed nearly 15 years ago.

Outdated? I still use the R8 more than the R8B or the R7. I'd hardly say that it
is outdated. While it lacks the more sophisticated 'synch' that the R8B has,
that has no bearing whatsoever on its ability to receive, and for all practical
purposes it is the same receiver.

I rarely find it necessary to use the 'synch' in either the R8 or the R8B.

The S800 is no match for the R8 series of receivers.

I take it that perhaps you are more of a program listener than a DX'er?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 18th 05, 12:36 PM
dxAce

Jim wrote:

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 03:46:08 -0500, dxAce
wrote:

Damn, I just gotta go on out and buy 3 or 4 of them S800's

Maybe you should. Perhaps then you would have a informed opinion of
it.

Uh-huh.... I'm just not 'informed'.

LMAO at the 'tard yet again.

By the way, good morning.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 18th 05, 05:43 PM
AbbN

Hi,

"Jim" wrote in message
On 17 Mar 2005 19:20:59 -0800, wrote:

WTF are you babbling about? Who ever claimed that the S800 was the
"best receiver" and "has no weaknesses"?

I simply performed his "good test". The S800 won. Note - AGAIN -
that I have an original R8 with the double sideband only sync. The
R8B would have performed better, because it's sync is identical to the
S800's - both were designed by Drake you know!

The R8 is simply outdated, having been designed nearly 15 years ago.
The S800 benefits from being designed about 5 years ago. That's all.
No big deal - technology marches on and all that.

The S800 is just the best receiver *I* own. I have loads of radios
here, the S800 is just best that I personally have. I never claimed
it was the "best in the world". I stand by my statement that I would
take an S800 over an R8 - NOT an R8B! OK?

And....

wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, I say the S800 is far better than the R8B. It's better than any
receiver and therefore immune to all criticism.

I own a Sat-800, Grundig 400PE and DX-398 and my best friend has my DX-394B
(he's "borrowing" it and loves it) and another friend now owns my Grundig
100PE. The Sat-800 here in Canada goes for $600 CDN (I got mine on sale for
$550 over 3 years ago) and the R8B goes for about $2200 (about 3.7x - 4x
more than the Sat-800, depending on how you calculate it).

I certainly believe the R8B to be better than my Sat-800, but not 3.7 to 4
times better.....

Take Care
Abb N
Windsor, Ontario, Canada