Old March 14th 05, 07:15 PM
thecop

Default Need help with a Lowe HF-150

What an incredible disappointment...NOT with the radio's performance.
In some respects I believe it equals or may even surpass the Icom R75 I
recently sold. What IS a disappointment is the condition of the radio...I am
trying to communicate with the person from whom I won the auction on Ebay,
no luck so far.

Anyway, I am trying to get this radio in as new condition as possible and I
am looking for help with the following problems:

1- The frequency display does not seem to follow the tuning knob. Almost
takes a second or two to catch up.

2- the selection buttons on the bottom have to be pressed NUMEROUS times
before the radio responds. Takes 10-12 fast pushes to change mode, tuning
steps, fast or slow tuning etc.

3- There is a scratch on the display crystal (not the LCD, but the clear
plastic overlay)

4- The Volume control knob and shaft came out. I can no longer use it to
turn the radio on or off and must do that by applying or diconnecting
external power in the back !!!

There you have it. I checked the Lowe web site and they clearly indicate
that they no longer ship/sell to the United States.

I know this sounds a bit silly, but shortwave radio is my primary hobby...I
don't hang out in bars, play cards or anything else like that...after a
crappy day at work the radio is kinda' my escape...and my crappy days at
work are usually quite bad. I have one daughter in college and another
getting narried in two months, so, as you can imagine, I'm broke.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

Thank you so much for your time.

John, KB2COP
thecop@o...

Old March 17th 05, 03:47 AM
albert

I too just bought a HF-150 and I am happy with the performance. I guess I
got lucky with my purchase as the radio seems to be in really good shape
(I'm the lucky guy who bought the set with the speakers.

Scanning the different stations using the tuning knob seems to take quite a
while (I'm impatient), so I ordered one of those wireless remotes that can
have a variable tuning rate. They say that you can also access the memories
with the remote which the keypad can't do.

You might consider one of those as a nice accessory if your radio didn't
come with a keypad. I don't know how well they work, though. I haven't
gotten mine yet to try it out.

Good luck with your restoration.

Albert.

Old March 19th 05, 12:48 AM
Dave Holford

My keypad does a great job of accessing memories. Just enter the one or two
digit number and the number sign. 1#, 01#, 45# etc. I've never had a problem
with it.

Dave