Old March 18th 05, 11:39 PM
Lucky

wrote in message
oups.com...
how can it be collectable if you can get one pretty cheap ? just
because something can be collected does not make it a "collectors
item".

If I collect cigar butts does that make them collectors items ? they
are just things I collect.

If you are confusing the word nostalgia with collectable then I don't
think a 20 year old radio is old enough to be nostalgia. what would you
call a radio from the 50's ????? ancient ???? when do you start calling
the ICF-2010 a collector item ?

I think a radio from the 70's that could truely be called a collectable
is the Barlow Wadley XCR-30, it was not a mass produced Japanese radio.
only about 20,000 XCR-30's made !!!

Pretty cheap means compared to other things you spend money on in life and
compared to higher costing new radios.
Most of them are in bad shape, and are over 25 years old. And if you can't
find that many good ones, they become collectors items in my eyes if you get
one in good condition. Simple as that.

I think 25 years is old. That's my opinion and I think it's a proper one!

Lucky

Old March 18th 05, 11:52 PM
Lucky

wrote in message
ups.com...
lets use a Drake collector as an example, he would say that a 1A is
truly a collectible, the MSR-1 is truly a collectible. the SW-4 is very
collectible. but even though he might have an R8 in his collection, I
sure hope he won't call it collectible !!!

all I am asking is to give respect where it is due and do not insult
true collectible radios by calling mass produced radios "collectible"

to put a Regency TR-1 in the same category as an FRG-XXXX receiver is
an insult to the TR-1

Ok instead of buying a FRG-7700 now, I'll wait till you can't find one
anymore and they go for $1200. Thanks for the advice on collectables.

Lucky

Old March 19th 05, 12:00 AM
Michael

"Lucky" wrote in message
I just hooked up my Yaesu FRG-7700 after not using it for like 3 months.
For an old radio, it still sounds so good and I really enjoy playing with
it. I have the low pass external FF-5 filter for it too plus a FRA-7700. I
don't need to use external speakers with it either as the stock speaker in
it is wonderful.

Yes these older radio are fun to use. I see the FRG-7's and FRG-7700's
keep going up in price on Ebay. Great collectors rig.

Lucky

Kewl !!! I'd love to try one myself !!!!!!!!!!!!!
--
Respectfully,

Michael

Location: New Jersey
Primary Receiver: R-75 with full Kiwa mods
Antennas: G5RV, 200ft "Frankenstein" roof wire
Additional Radios: 7600GR,KA-1101,KA-1102
PL-550, KA-989, Info-Mate 837, GE-SR III
Westinghouse H-104 (seven tube)
Web Site: http://md_dxing.tripod.com

Old March 19th 05, 01:45 AM

Lucky: Give yourself a treat and try the 7700 with a decent outboard
speaker.
I agree that the FRG 7 and 7700 sound better than most tabletops
with their built in speakers but there is more audio in the box than
you are getting.
Regards, Bob