Old March 19th 05, 03:25 AM

Most SWL's would not give the Sears version a second look if they
didn't know it was a rebadged FRG-7. Funny how the name can mean so
much. Yeah, they are fun. Mine had an upgraded filter instaled by
the guy before me. Finding a decent R300 is indeed difficult. Usually
the bandswitch is heading south and reception suffers on selected
bands.

The radio that is getting the most time right now is a Degen DE1103.
What a radio for $65.00

Lucky wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes, those older Yaesu's can be a lot of fun. I looked long and

hard
at a used 7700 before deciding on a Kenwood R5000 (new) about 14

years
ago. I owned the Sears version of the FRG-7 for about a year and
enjoyed it a lot. Not as fast as a digital receiver to tune around

in,
but enjoyable and a good performer nontheless.

My favorite of the so-called massproduced pre-digital receivers is

the
Kenwood R-300. Looked like it should have tubes, but it didn't.

The
xtal marker took some getting used to and it drifted some, but it

was a
challenge worth overcoming.

Lucky wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
how can a mass produced commodity be a collectors item ? a

collectors
item should be something that was not produced in large numbers

or
is
old and many are not available any more. the FRG-7 is very

common
as is
the 7700. and they are not old at all.

SX-88, that is an example of a collectors rig.

Not true. A collectors item is anything a collector of those items

thinks it
is. To me, the FRG-7700 is one radio in my collection of radios.

They
may
have been mass produced, but they are over 20 year old and the

supply
is
dwindling every week. To each his own...

Lucky

Hi

Hey I have a mint cond. Sears version FRG-7. Paid $200 for it. It's

over 25
years old but has hardly been used. I bought off this Chinese guy on

Ebay.
He was great and packed it well. He told me before I bought it that

he could
sell it as new if he had the box. He was right.

One thing about the FRG-7 is you can cover the whole band rather

quickly.
Yeah I almost bought the Kenwood 300 but the ones I looked at were

not in
good condition. That radio looks very cool though. Now if you can

find one
of those in perfect shape it would really be a find.

Lucky

Old March 19th 05, 03:31 AM

How can it be collectable if you got it cheap...easy. It is
collectable because at least one person collects it ( or them).
Remember Beanie Babies...most of 'em sold for a buck, and many were
giveaways at McDonalds, but there were a whole bunch of people who
thought they were collectable until the market flooded and the prices
tanked. Age has nothing to do with collectability. Don't confuse
rarity with collectability...two totally different concepts.

Old March 19th 05, 08:21 AM
dxAce

Ren Hoek wrote:

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 16:28:48 -0500, "Lucky"
wrote:

FRG-7700

FRG-7700 was a piece of junk. I had one new in 1983 and it was always
a kc off frequency.

I had a new one in '82 or '83 and it was a fine radio, never knew it to be off
frequency.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 19th 05, 11:11 AM
RHF

The Captain,
Old March 19th 05, 04:39 PM
Lucky

wrote in message
ups.com...
Lucky: Give yourself a treat and try the 7700 with a decent outboard
speaker.
I agree that the FRG 7 and 7700 sound better than most tabletops
with their built in speakers but there is more audio in the box than
you are getting.
Regards, Bob

Lucky wrote:
I just hooked up my Yaesu FRG-7700 after not using it for like 3

months. For
an old radio, it still sounds so good and I really enjoy playing with

it. I
have the low pass external FF-5 filter for it too plus a FRA-7700. I

don't
need to use external speakers with it either as the stock speaker in

it is
wonderful.

Yes these older radio are fun to use. I see the FRG-7's and

FRG-7700's keep
going up in price on Ebay. Great collectors rig.

Lucky

Hi Bob

I do use a pair of external speakers with the FRG-7. Just fantastic sound.

Lucky

Old March 19th 05, 04:53 PM
Lucky

wrote:

FRG-7700

FRG-7700 was a piece of junk. I had one new in 1983 and it was always
a kc off frequency.

You're missing the whole point. I'm not saying the 7700 is a good performer.
That has nothing to do with it. Some people collect radios for their
hardware and aesthetics.

It's like if you went to a museum and saw older radios. It would be nice if
you could try one out and see what SWLs of that time had to work with in the
Yaesu line of receivers.

I love being able to go from a 1975 radio or a 2004 radio to those
inbetween. Like I said to each his own..

Lucky

Old March 19th 05, 04:54 PM
RHF

DX Ace,