Old March 18th 05, 09:28 PM
Lucky

Default FRG-7700 Fun!

I just hooked up my Yaesu FRG-7700 after not using it for like 3 months. For
an old radio, it still sounds so good and I really enjoy playing with it. I
have the low pass external FF-5 filter for it too plus a FRA-7700. I don't
need to use external speakers with it either as the stock speaker in it is
wonderful.

Yes these older radio are fun to use. I see the FRG-7's and FRG-7700's keep
going up in price on Ebay. Great collectors rig.

Lucky

Old March 18th 05, 09:41 PM

how can a mass produced commodity be a collectors item ? a collectors
item should be something that was not produced in large numbers or is
old and many are not available any more. the FRG-7 is very common as is
the 7700. and they are not old at all.

SX-88, that is an example of a collectors rig.

Old March 18th 05, 09:47 PM
Lucky

wrote in message
oups.com...
how can a mass produced commodity be a collectors item ? a collectors
item should be something that was not produced in large numbers or is
old and many are not available any more. the FRG-7 is very common as is
the 7700. and they are not old at all.

SX-88, that is an example of a collectors rig.

Not true. A collectors item is anything a collector of those items thinks it
is. To me, the FRG-7700 is one radio in my collection of radios. They may
have been mass produced, but they are over 20 year old and the supply is
dwindling every week. To each his own...

Lucky

Old March 18th 05, 10:21 PM
MnMikew

"Lucky" wrote in message
I just hooked up my Yaesu FRG-7700 after not using it for like 3 months.

For
an old radio, it still sounds so good and I really enjoy playing with it.

have the low pass external FF-5 filter for it too plus a FRA-7700. I don't
need to use external speakers with it either as the stock speaker in it is
wonderful.

Yes these older radio are fun to use. I see the FRG-7's and FRG-7700's

keep
going up in price on Ebay. Great collectors rig.

Lucky

So, what do you want for it. :-)

Old March 18th 05, 10:28 PM

Yes, those older Yaesu's can be a lot of fun. I looked long and hard
at a used 7700 before deciding on a Kenwood R5000 (new) about 14 years
ago. I owned the Sears version of the FRG-7 for about a year and
enjoyed it a lot. Not as fast as a digital receiver to tune around in,
but enjoyable and a good performer nontheless.

My favorite of the so-called massproduced pre-digital receivers is the
Kenwood R-300. Looked like it should have tubes, but it didn't. The
xtal marker took some getting used to and it drifted some, but it was a
challenge worth overcoming.

Lucky wrote:
oups.com...

Old March 18th 05, 11:13 PM
Lucky

wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes, those older Yaesu's can be a lot of fun. I looked long and hard
at a used 7700 before deciding on a Kenwood R5000 (new) about 14 years
ago. I owned the Sears version of the FRG-7 for about a year and
enjoyed it a lot. Not as fast as a digital receiver to tune around in,
but enjoyable and a good performer nontheless.

My favorite of the so-called massproduced pre-digital receivers is the
Kenwood R-300. Looked like it should have tubes, but it didn't. The
xtal marker took some getting used to and it drifted some, but it was a
challenge worth overcoming.

Lucky wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
how can a mass produced commodity be a collectors item ? a

collectors
item should be something that was not produced in large numbers or

is
old and many are not available any more. the FRG-7 is very common

as is
the 7700. and they are not old at all.

SX-88, that is an example of a collectors rig.

Not true. A collectors item is anything a collector of those items

thinks it
is. To me, the FRG-7700 is one radio in my collection of radios. They

may
have been mass produced, but they are over 20 year old and the supply

is
dwindling every week. To each his own...

Lucky

Hi

Hey I have a mint cond. Sears version FRG-7. Paid $200 for it. It's over 25
years old but has hardly been used. I bought off this Chinese guy on Ebay.
He was great and packed it well. He told me before I bought it that he could
sell it as new if he had the box. He was right.

One thing about the FRG-7 is you can cover the whole band rather quickly.
Yeah I almost bought the Kenwood 300 but the ones I looked at were not in
good condition. That radio looks very cool though. Now if you can find one
of those in perfect shape it would really be a find.

Lucky

Old March 18th 05, 11:18 PM
Lucky

"MnMikew" wrote in message

"Lucky" wrote in message
I just hooked up my Yaesu FRG-7700 after not using it for like 3 months.

For
an old radio, it still sounds so good and I really enjoy playing with it.

have the low pass external FF-5 filter for it too plus a FRA-7700. I
don't
need to use external speakers with it either as the stock speaker in it
is
wonderful.

Yes these older radio are fun to use. I see the FRG-7's and FRG-7700's

keep
going up in price on Ebay. Great collectors rig.

Lucky

So, what do you want for it. :-)

I wouldn't sell it! To me, the money I got for it would not give me the same
enjoyment I get from the radio. There are just those times when you're in
the mood for using one of these older rigs. But, if you look good on Ebay
every day, you can find one pretty cheap in good cond.

Lucky

Old March 18th 05, 11:29 PM

how can it be collectable if you can get one pretty cheap ? just
because something can be collected does not make it a "collectors
item".

If I collect cigar butts does that make them collectors items ? they
are just things I collect.

If you are confusing the word nostalgia with collectable then I don't
think a 20 year old radio is old enough to be nostalgia. what would you
call a radio from the 50's ????? ancient ???? when do you start calling
the ICF-2010 a collector item ?

I think a radio from the 70's that could truely be called a collectable
is the Barlow Wadley XCR-30, it was not a mass produced Japanese radio.
only about 20,000 XCR-30's made !!!

Old March 18th 05, 11:37 PM

lets use a Drake collector as an example, he would say that a 1A is
truly a collectible, the MSR-1 is truly a collectible. the SW-4 is very
collectible. but even though he might have an R8 in his collection, I
sure hope he won't call it collectible !!!

all I am asking is to give respect where it is due and do not insult
true collectible radios by calling mass produced radios "collectible"

to put a Regency TR-1 in the same category as an FRG-XXXX receiver is
an insult to the TR-1