Old March 21st 05, 11:09 AM
dxAce

m II wrote:

AbbN wrote:

So if CB is not dead, perhaps SWL will also survive.....at least for a
while -

But CB SHOULD be dead. Way too many idiots with thousand watt amps abusing that
part of the spectrum. How do think dxAce earned his name? It sure wasn't from
using 4 watts output.

LMAO at the 'tard boy yet again!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 21st 05, 04:47 PM
Michael Lawson

"AbbN" wrote in message
Hi,

Interesting question and interesting answer.

Well, it's certainly changed since I got back into it in 1999 during

an
extremely serious back operation. I was going to be stuck in the

hospital
for over 2 weeks and RS had a DX-375 on sale for $70 (Canadian $$)

so I
bought it and listened to it in the hospital. Prior to that, it was

1972
when I last listened to shortwave. Needless to say I got hooked and

had a
DX-394B within a couple of months.

If I were to have that same surgery today and were not a SW

listener, I
don't know if I'd get into it with as much enthusiasm as I did in

1999. I
doubt if I'd have a Sat-800, DX-398 and a Grundig 400PE as I do at

the
moment.

In a Sat-800 newsgroup, someone mentioned CB. It had never occurred

to me
that I could listen to CB with my Sat-800 so I decided to listen. I

thought
CB was totally dead, but much to my shock and surprise, it is still

pretty
active around here (Windsor, Ontario, Canada).

So if CB is not dead, perhaps SWL will also survive.....at least for

while -

CB isn't dead because some big reasons:

1) Truckers keep using it religiously

2) You don't have to pay per month to use it

3) You don't need a license (although some folks
used to have them, a long time ago)

4) The equipment can be easily found (used
or new)

5) Nothing has really replaced it's niche; sure, you
can use a cell phone or satellite radio or the Net, but
for an old fashioned "party line" type of experience,
nothing has replaced it yet.

--Mike L.

Satellite radio growth projections stir concern Mike Terry Broadcasting 1 February 21st 05 07:38 PM
Switzerland for the outside world (will the internet replace shortwave radio) Mike Terry Broadcasting 1 January 3rd 05 06:28 AM
Switzerland for the outside world (will the internet replace shortwave radio) Mike Terry Shortwave 1 January 3rd 05 06:28 AM
I wonder... mike Shortwave 8 September 5th 03 04:38 AM
Some oddities please! WShoots1 Shortwave 4 July 10th 03 11:51 PM