Old March 20th 05, 02:21 PM
dxAce

Jim wrote:

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 03:24:59 GMT, Chris Hill
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:33:37 -0600, Ren Hoek wrote:

With XM and Sirius becoming popular,and with many broadcast being
retransmitted via Internet, is shortwave doomed?

Xm ans sirius don't have much variety for news. Internet radio may
someday replace shortwave, once somebody invents a decent tuner so you
don't have to go hunt down and bookmark every station.

As opposed to hunting them down on an analog tuner and then writing
them down in a logbook, like we all did back in the day? Yeah, that
*sure* was easier, wasn't it?

Shortwave "Program Listening" is certainly doomed, but the people who
like to twiddle dials and find some distant, low power station will
always be around. There will just be fewer and fewer things to find,
eventually.

Especially if it takes one '5 minutes' to tune in!

Still LMAO,

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 20th 05, 02:41 PM

Shortwave "Program Listening" is certainly doomed, but the people who
like to twiddle dials and find some distant, low power station will
always be around. There will just be fewer and fewer things to find,
eventually.

Jim

Fewer and fewer major broadcasters, but I don't see any reason to think
there'll be fewer and fewer 'things' in general, especially if 'things'
includes utilities, military comms, etc.

Steve

Old March 20th 05, 03:21 PM
David

wrote:

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:33:37 -0600, Ren Hoek wrote:

With XM and Sirius becoming popular,and with many broadcast being
retransmitted via Internet, is shortwave doomed?

Xm ans sirius don't have much variety for news. Internet radio may
someday replace shortwave, once somebody invents a decent tuner so you
don't have to go hunt down and bookmark every station. There are
definitely fewer stations available on shortwave than there were in
the mid '80's; maybe the missing ones are on the internet, but I don't
plan on spending much time hunting for them.

Sirius has tons of news from all the major International broadcasters
+ The CBC.

Old March 20th 05, 03:28 PM

Yeah, but Sirius is a subscription service. This means that, in order
to take advantage of their services, you have to give them *money* on a
regular basis.

Steve

Old March 20th 05, 03:32 PM

By the way, I downloaded a program guide off the Sirius website because
I wanted to see what their menu looked like. However, I assume that the
program guide on their website is only a partial listing, because it
sure didn't contain much of interest. Where can I get the full program
guide?

Steve

Old March 20th 05, 04:20 PM

The Thrill of the Chase,Hunting them Down,Logging them In.I am Guilty of
much Dial Twiddling too.
cuhulin

Old March 20th 05, 08:35 PM
AbbN

Hi,

Interesting question and interesting answer.

Well, it's certainly changed since I got back into it in 1999 during an
extremely serious back operation. I was going to be stuck in the hospital
for over 2 weeks and RS had a DX-375 on sale for $70 (Canadian $$) so I
bought it and listened to it in the hospital. Prior to that, it was 1972
when I last listened to shortwave. Needless to say I got hooked and had a
DX-394B within a couple of months.

If I were to have that same surgery today and were not a SW listener, I
don't know if I'd get into it with as much enthusiasm as I did in 1999. I
doubt if I'd have a Sat-800, DX-398 and a Grundig 400PE as I do at the
moment.

In a Sat-800 newsgroup, someone mentioned CB. It had never occurred to me
that I could listen to CB with my Sat-800 so I decided to listen. I thought
CB was totally dead, but much to my shock and surprise, it is still pretty
active around here (Windsor, Ontario, Canada).

So if CB is not dead, perhaps SWL will also survive.....at least for a
while -

Abb N

wrote in message
oups.com...

Ren Hoek wrote:
With XM and Sirius becoming popular,and with many broadcast being
retransmitted via Internet, is shortwave doomed?

Oh gosh, I'm surprised that no one has ever asked this before.

Of course shortwave is doomed. So are newspapers, broadcast AM and FM,
books, television, movie theaters, etc. etc.

In fact, eventually satellite and internet will have to duke it out,
and so at least one of them is doomed too.

How about that?

Steve

Old March 21st 05, 01:49 AM
m II

AbbN wrote:

So if CB is not dead, perhaps SWL will also survive.....at least for a
while -

But CB SHOULD be dead. Way too many idiots with thousand watt amps abusing that
part of the spectrum. How do think dxAce earned his name? It sure wasn't from
using 4 watts output.

mike

Satellite radio growth projections stir concern Mike Terry Broadcasting 1 February 21st 05 07:38 PM
Switzerland for the outside world (will the internet replace shortwave radio) Mike Terry Broadcasting 1 January 3rd 05 06:28 AM
Switzerland for the outside world (will the internet replace shortwave radio) Mike Terry Shortwave 1 January 3rd 05 06:28 AM
I wonder... mike Shortwave 8 September 5th 03 04:38 AM
Some oddities please! WShoots1 Shortwave 4 July 10th 03 11:51 PM