Old April 2nd 05, 04:48 PM

"§ Dr. Artaud §" wrote:

"§ Dr. Artaud §" wrote in
:

Having forestalled my purchase of RX Plus (I used the Demo period, very
nice program), due to my concerns about not being able to use the program
on a future computer, I happened to download HAM Radio Deluxe.

Dr. Artaud

Which build, 031b687 or 030b531 ?

Old April 3rd 05, 12:59 AM

"§ Dr. Artaud §" wrote:

wrote in
:

Version 3.1 Build 579

Not really knowing what I was doing, I downloaded the official "released
version", 3.0 Build 531 but soon became aware that it did not include the
bandscope, a feature that I had hoped was included. Another check revealed
that the bandscope was added in a later version/build, and I upgraded to a
Beta version using a file from the web site. I realize that there are
builds newer than the one that I have, but everything works well and I
don't wish to tempt fate.

Regards

Dr. Artaud

Which build, 031b687 or 030b531 ?

Better safe than sorry, have you been able to do any big time
automated HF scanning with it?

Old April 3rd 05, 06:58 PM
§ Dr. Artaud §

wrote in
:

Automated? Perhaps I don't understand all the functions of the program,
or I simply don't understand your usage of the word Automated.

I use the Bandscope function to tune between a specific range of
frequencies. Such as between 7.0 and 9.0 Mhz, the user determines the
range. The bandscope tunes quickly using the signal levels and transposes
them into a the "scope" display. You simply click on the peaks and the
radio tunes to the corresponding frequency.

I have tried a couple of other programs, this one tunes through the range
fairly quickly.

The interesting thing about this program and the bandscope is that once
the bandscope display is complete (the full scan of say 7.0 to 9.0 Mhz),
you can grab the indicating line in the display with the computer cursor
and drag it, tuning smoothly up and down the scope display, and therefore
simultaneously tuning the radio. I hardly even look at the radio
anymore.

Everything is included on the computer display. Volume, both Passband
controls, RF Gain (when so configured), squelch, etc. etc. etc.

I cannot believe that anyone would have the one of the supported radios
and not download and use this program if they have their radio near their
computer. As I said, I didn't download it because I believed that I had
to have the CAT interface to use it. Not so though with the Icom R-75
serial port, and I am sure other models with serial ports as well. The
odd thing is that the site doesn't seem to point out the ability to use
the serial port, it is as if they assume that you will know.

The program also can use the ILGRadio databases, I am not sure if they
are supported anymore, but I believe they are.
http://www.ilgradio.com/

If you can, give it a try, it's free and I don't believe that you will be
disappointed. Give it a little time to get used to, as it has so many
features, but it is written with comprehension in mind.

Dr. Artaud

Old April 4th 05, 04:57 PM

"§ Dr. Artaud §" wrote:

wrote in
:

Automated? Perhaps I don't understand all the functions of the program,
or I simply don't understand your usage of the word Automated.

Dr. Artaud

As an aside to the "Automated" question I found a program for Kenwoods
at the HAM Radio Deluxe main page. I didn't check for other brands.
Allows the changing of the 100 memories. If a person wants another 100
you just use another file. This is an excellent site
:'):'):'):'):'):'):'):'):'):'):'):'):'):'):'):'):' ):')

Old April 5th 05, 12:42 AM
§ Dr. Artaud §

wrote in
:

Thanks for the link.

Perhaps you can help me with something? I see that the site that you
provided the link for sells cabling for the Yaesu FRG-100 and the Yaesu
FT-840, and I need both cables. (you probably just got them 2 sales)

I know that my Icom R-75 has the ability to connect via the CAT or the
Serial Port. The Yaesu radios only have the ability to connect via their
CAT ports (i.e. that have no conventional serial ports). If I bought
these cables, would I be able to directly connect my Yaesu radios to the
computer, without additional signal level conversion?

I downloaded HAM Radio Deluxe with the idea that I was going to need to
get CAT compliant cabling. On a lark, I used my USB to serial adapter,
into a serial cable, into the Icom R-75 serial port, and viola, the
program works with the radio. I didn't expect this. I thought I had to
have a special CAT cable to use HAM Radio Deluxe with the radio, as the
software does not make any fanfare about using the serial port. "Ham
Radio Deluxe (HRD) is a suite of free Windows programs providing CAT
control for commonly used transceivers and receivers."

Look He
http://www.eham.net/articles/2148?eh...b6dc8340758a5b

It's a homebuilt circuit to interface your radio with a computer. Is all
this circuitry included in the cabling from the link that you provided?

I am somewhat confused concerning the difference between the CAT port,
the serial port, and the expectations that the software has concerning
these ports.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dr. Artaud

My fault for being loose with the word. I meant could I run .txt files
with HF freq's. I have downloaded and installed the program and am
starting to play with the software virtual radio's.
I have ordered a LUK-3 cable and USB adapter for my Kenwood
ts-450-sat. http://www.sarrio.com/sarrio/w1gee.html
ILG is still supported with the newest software release 031b687.
The learning curve seems pretty quick. CAT software for the ts-450-sat
is hard to come by.

Old April 5th 05, 02:10 PM

"§ Dr. Artaud §" wrote:

wrote in
:

[...]

First and foremost I am NOT an expert.
I believe the cables that I bought will get any power they need from
the computer.
The best way to get the correct answer I think is to
ask the man himself, his address is =
Mark Stennett
P.O.Box 2283
Georgetown, tx 78627
==========================
Last known e-mail =
Hope this helps :')

Old April 5th 05, 07:48 PM

"§ Dr. Artaud §" wrote:

wrote in
:

Thanks for the link.

Perhaps you can help me with something? I see that the site that you
provided the link for sells cabling for the Yaesu FRG-100 and the Yaesu
FT-840, and I need both cables. (you probably just got them 2 sales)

I know that my Icom R-75 has the ability to connect via the CAT or the
Serial Port. The Yaesu radios only have the ability to connect via their
CAT ports (i.e. that have no conventional serial ports). If I bought
these cables, would I be able to directly connect my Yaesu radios to the
computer, without additional signal level conversion?

Found on HRD site.
READ THIS NOW BEFORE GOING ANY FURTHER!
There are many problems that a newcomer can come across while
trying to set up both CAT and Audio interfaces: I’ll try to help you
avoid the most common problems.
CAT INTERFACE PROBLEMS
1. Ham Radio Deluxe displays the error Access Denied.
Some previously accessed software will cause problems for
the operating system by holding a comport open, thus
denying your CAT interface access.
Only one program can open a comport at a same time.
PDA / GSM software is one example. The simplest way to
deal with this is a reboot: the offending program will no
longer have control over the port.
2. Some notebook serial ports can’t supply enough current
and/or voltage to operate homemade interface cables that
rely on the serial port for power. You will have to either
make up an interface to a different design, or use external
power.
3. Ground loops can be a problem. Fully isolated interfaces are
probably the only real option here. Taking all precautions to
avoid ground loops should be a matter of course.
AUDIO INTERFACE PROBLEMS
1. Probably the most common causes of problems are
overdriving the rig, and ground loops. Avoiding ground loops
is generally not too difficult if you use isolated input and
outputs. See the circuit of the homebrew interface in the
AUDIO INTERFACING chapter to see how it can be done.
Under no circumstances should you use un-isolated
connections: they lead to ground loops, and will in all
probability introduce hum and other unwanted artifacts on
your signal. One disadvantage of using a waterfall display is
that you can see the other guy’s filthy signal – but not your
own. I know that some people get away with it – but the
risk just isn’t worth it.
2. Overdriving the rig will lead to splatter and deformed
signals. Good operators do not splatter! There’s a very
useful little gadget called the PSKMeter that can be obtained
from http://www.ssiserver.com/info/pskmeter/ .
This makes it impossible to overdrive your rig, yet obtain
maximum clean output at all times. I use one myself – it’s
ideal. The only drawback is that it requires a serial port: this
can be a problem with notebooks and the like – but see the
next chapter for more info.
Hope this helps.
Old April 7th 05, 11:52 PM

"§ Dr. Artaud §" wrote:

"§ Dr. Artaud §" wrote in
:

Having forestalled my purchase of RX Plus (I used the Demo period, very
nice program), due to my concerns about not being able to use the program
on a future computer, I happened to download HAM Radio Deluxe.

Superb. Has anyone here tried it?
Dr. Artaud

For what it's worth I got both cables I needed from W1GEE Products
http://www.sarrio.com/sarrio/w1gee.html
and when I hooked them up NO smoke came out of the box :')
I'm using a USB hookup on a Dell Dimension 4100 to the TS450-sat and
no extra power was needed for "my" hookup.
The HRD software seems to work also, HURRAY!!!!