Old April 2nd 05, 04:00 PM

I want to take the time to thank everyone for taking the time to help
me. I've decided that I will go with the Superadio III. I'm going to
wait until Circuit City cuts the price on the S350 to $50, which they
do every year in my area from what I heard from someone who works at
CC. The only thing that bugs me is that no one sells the SRIII locally
and they won't even order it. It might seem kind of old-fashioned, but
I've always been able to buy things locally until the SR III. I have a
few questions:

1) I've already got a few responses from others on this question, but
I'll throw it out to everyone. What is the most reputable mail-order or
online place to buy the SR III? What I mean is as far as customer
satisfaction, return policies, few hassles, etc.

2) I haven't ordered anything ever, as hard as that would be to
believe. I also don't have a credit card. A few retailers will take
checks or money order. My biggest concern is that if I send the check
or money order to them, it would be lost in the mail. Please forgive me
if this is a dumb question. Is there a "sure fire" way of making sure
the check or money order gets to the store?

3) I may have already have asked this, but does anyone have an
Superadio III that they'd be willing to part with?

I thank everyone again for the help you gave me in making this
decision. Happy DX'ing. :-)

Jim

wrote:
Jim
I own both a GE Sradio III and (just obtained recently) an S350. For
AM BCB DX'ing I like the S350 hands down. The GE is a good receiver
but digital readout and in my opinion better selectivity in the S350.
Now...the GE is better for FM dxing if you do any of that. an
excellent receiver if you can find one used is the Sangean ATS803A.
(Was also the Radio Shack DX440). Digital
readout...sensitive..selective..good ferrite rod antenna.
"pound for pound" I've heard more and lower powered stations on the
S350 than on the GE. Just my take on it. 73
Greg

Old April 2nd 05, 05:37 PM

More and more folks are using debit cards instead of credit cards.You
can get a debit card at the bank you use,it will take a few weeks for
your debit card to show up to you in your snail mail or perhaps your
bank will hold your debit card for you and snail mail you a notice it is
ready and then you can go to the bank and pick up your debit card.You
can phone the toll free phone number(s) of whatever online store(s) you
want to buy something from and use your debit card to make your
purchase(s) Credit cards are reasonably safe enough,but never post your
credit card or debit card number anywhere online.There are thieves out
there just sitting on ready to steal credit card numbers and debit card
numbers and personal information from anybody and everybody.Some stores
online post their return policy and other terms of policy online.Dig
around on their websites and look that information up or you can phone
their toll free phone number and ask them about that sort of
information.Never,but Never! post personal information about yourself on
the internet.There are phishing scams on the internet too.Be Very Aware
of those!
cuhulin

Old April 2nd 05, 06:31 PM
RM MS

I'd tend to look for something else besides the SRIII, such as a
Sangean-built Realistic model in your price range. The SRIII is
definitely sensitive on AM, but it is really touchy to tune in the upper
end of the band and drifts off easily and often. Also, any half-decent
$20 portable AM/FM radio from The Shack is sensitive enough for most
purposes, especially with a hand-wound ferrite antenna booster, or a
simple wire wrapped around the radio and led out for a good length away
from the radio. 9 years ago, I bought my SRIII for $40, and although it
has beautiful sound, it s a pain to use compared to others I own. If you
could come up with a few more bucks, the CCRadio from Crane
(Sangean-built) is excellent at $159. It is digital readout to 1khz.,
and is rock-solid non-drift. Plenty sensitive, and they did a lot of
other things right on this one, such as spacing the slewing keys at 10
khz per jump, which makes it the BEST radio I own for AM/BC
bandscanning.

Old April 2nd 05, 06:46 PM
RM MS

OK, I agree the CCRadio we own did lose its dgital display a few years
ago, but Crane did good on it and was entirely polite about it. And this
was about 3 years out of warranty. I'd do business with them again
anytime. As far as Sangean products go, I am an true advocate, having
owned the CCRadio and before that a DX-440 (ATS-803-A) since 1989, which
has played at least 12 hours a day, every single day, and I take it
everywhere I go. Never had a single bit of trouble with it. I compare
these products very favorably with other recievers I own, which include
Yeasu FRG-100, FRG-8800, Lowe HF-225, and formerly owned a Kenwood
R-5000, so I do ave adequate basis for comparison, in other words, the
only junk I own is the GE Superradio III.. I am sorry your experience
(if indeed it is not just hearsay) has been different.

Old April 2nd 05, 06:55 PM
RM MS

I am beginning to wonder of cuhulin lives in an apartment or
aluminum-or-other-metal-coated building, (possibly one with wheels). All
the radios he mentioned have consistently been well-reviewed in
reputable publications. It is not the fault of the radio if it has been
sheilded from signals. Try the radio or antenna by a window, at a
minimum.

Old April 3rd 05, 02:52 PM
Brian Hill

"Honus" wrote in message

You don't think he's merely trolling, do you? I couldn't agree with that
one, although I'll of course concede the possibility.

A true master in all accounts. Understand my position now?

B.H.

Old April 3rd 05, 02:59 PM
Jorma DeLuxe

"RM MS" wrote in message
I am beginning to wonder of cuhulin lives in an apartment or
aluminum-or-other-metal-coated building,

Or maybe it is the lead water pipes.

Old April 3rd 05, 07:39 PM
RM MS

If you are comparing a modern Sangean 909 with an older rig, you cannot
really expect to "get any more" stations on one or the other, basic
sensitivity s not and has not been an issue for many years. I put my
DX-440 up against my Kenwood R-5000 with identical antennas and the
DX-440 "got" every weak signal that the Kenwood did. Of course, the
Kenwood blew the DX's doors off in selectivity and strong-signal
capability, and this test was done with intentionally small antennas. My
usual antennas in those days were sloping single-ended wires, 50' at the
high end and running up to 70' long, not including the lead-in. I also
had a 90' Windom dipole (coax-fed) and two Alpha-Delta 60' sloper
dipoles. Your location may well require at least a minimal outdoor
antenna of some kind if you cannot receive anything well enough.

Old April 3rd 05, 08:20 PM

My house has plastic water pipes plumbing.I had it all redone about 15
years ago.It is the same kind of freeze proof water pipeing/plumbing
that is used in Alaska.That is what the guys whom installed the pipeing
told me.
cuhulin

Old April 3rd 05, 08:24 PM

If it's made by Sangean,I DON'T want it.I tried out two Sangean radios
and I STILL SAY Sangean radios (ALL of them) are over rated over priced
JUNK! And they lose the digital displays too.
cuhulin