Old April 10th 05, 10:21 PM
The Subject ®

Default WRTH vs Passport to World Band Radio?

Old April 11th 05, 01:28 AM
David

PWBR Blue Pages are killer for identifying HF stations. Last time I
checked WRTH had better addresses and Mediumwave info.

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:21:50 GMT, "The Subject ®"
wrote:

I have been away from shortwave for about 3 years and am feeling the
itch. I am about to purchase either the new version of WRTH or
Passport to World Band Radio. Which is currently the best in terms of
having fairly up to date information on stations, and for QSLing?

Or is there another suggestion I am missing?

Thanks

Old April 11th 05, 02:38 AM
Joe Analssandrini

Hi,

In my opinion (and it's my opinion only) that you really need BOTH. I
buy both every year and, while there is inevitably some duplication,
for the most part the books complement each other rather than including
redundant information.

They're both rather dog-eared at the end of the year!

I know that's not the answer you wanted, but, as I said above, that's
my opinion.

Right now the cheapest (and easiest) place to buy them is Amazon.com.
If you do buy them both together, there will be no shipping charge.

Best,

Joe

Old April 11th 05, 02:39 AM
Dan

Passport to World Band Radio.

You can usually find it at Huge bookstores like Barnes & Noble
or on Amazon

Old April 11th 05, 01:13 PM
dxAce

Joe Analssandrini wrote:

Hi,

In my opinion (and it's my opinion only) that you really need BOTH. I
buy both every year and, while there is inevitably some duplication,
for the most part the books complement each other rather than including
redundant information.

They're both rather dog-eared at the end of the year!

I know that's not the answer you wanted, but, as I said above, that's
my opinion.

Right now the cheapest (and easiest) place to buy them is Amazon.com.
If you do buy them both together, there will be no shipping charge.

Prior to the Internet, myself and many other hobbyists found both to be
extremely useful. However I rarely ever buy either one as more up-to-date info
is available on-line these days, as by the time they are published they are out
of date in months, if not weeks.

IMHO both are a waste of funds these days.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old April 11th 05, 03:41 PM
RHF

TheSubject,
=2E
Rotate Your Shortwave Listener Reading and Yearly Reference Book :
=2E
Why Not - Buy 'one' One Year and Buy the 'other' the Next Year )
=2E
Passport To World Band Radio - by Lawrence Magne
PTWBR=3D http://tinyurl.com/6p4c3
=2E
World Radio TV Handbook - by Nicholas Hardyman
WRTVH=3D http://tinyurl.com/6na65
=2E
=2E
* Shortwave Listener (SWL) Frequency & Schedule Resources
that are available "OnLine" { Links / URLS }
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...7e6778238775fb

=2E
Shortwave Listening NewBie (Beginners) Resources
{ SWL "NewBies" Beginners Can Start Here }
[ SWL INFO for NewBies Beginners ]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/=ADSho...essage/=AD1958
=2E
=2E
iane ~ RHF
=2E
All are WELCOME and "Invited to Join" the
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna eGroup on YAHOO !
=2E
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
=2E
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night . . .
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond, The BEYOND !
With a Shortwave Listener SWL Antenna of your own making.
"If You Build It {SWL Antenna} You Will Hear Them !"
=2E . . . .

Old April 12th 05, 06:02 AM
John Plimmer

dxAce - Of course you are right, but the small Tropical banders I look for
rarely change frequencies or scheds, so I find the compact WRTH extremely
useful for that sort of DX.
South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
RX Drake R8B, SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D GE SRIII
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
Hallicrafters SX-100, Eddystone 940
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

"dxAce" wrote in message

Aha! I don't DX mediumwave! However, I do find them both to be relatively
outdated for SW use rather quickly.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old April 12th 05, 12:52 PM
dxAce

John Plimmer wrote:

dxAce - Of course you are right, but the small Tropical banders I look for
rarely change frequencies or scheds, so I find the compact WRTH extremely
useful for that sort of DX.

Of course I'm right! But let me ask... first it was good for medium wave, then I
make a point... and then you switch to Tropical Banders... how can I win?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old April 12th 05, 04:04 PM