Old April 15th 05, 03:16 AM
BDK

In article ,
says...

I have an HQ180 that was owned by an extremely heavy smoker. The entire
radio was yellow/brown from smoke. Clean up was not all that bad and it has
had no problems since I have owned it which is now going on 13 years.

"John Reed" wrote in message
There's a lot more to what cigarette smoke does to a receiver than smell.
It gets into every control, key and contact. I bought an NRD-525 that

must
have been exposed to smoke. Several of the keys won't make contact, all

the
variable resistors are noisy and it's just about unusable. About the only
thing that can be done is to replace the bad resistors and switches and
clean all the contacts. Not a small job.

John Reed

Dear Colin,

If the seller is local to you, you can go over to his house and try the
radio for yourself. If the radio was well-taken-care-of, there should
be no problems.

Cigarette smoke does not cause any real damage to radios. The tobacco
odor will dissipate over several weeks and should be totally gone in a
year or less. If you're really concerned about the odor, leave the
radio outside for a few hours each day (in nice weather only!). That
should accelerate the dissipation of the odor.

Best,

Joe

I had a yaesu 7700 about 15 years ago that I bought at a hamfest. It
worked fine, but stunk really bad. It seemed like it was a slightly
different color than any other 7700 I had seen. I didn't realize until I
started cleaning it up, that it was just the residue of the dead
previous owners 3 pack a day habit that made it that odd "orange-gray"
color. I ended up taking it almost completely apart and putting the case
into the dishwasher. It came out looking great, and I had no problems
with it except the speaker puked out just before I sold it.

BDK
Old April 15th 05, 01:17 PM
D. Martin

Smoke pours out of me, like out of some hellish chimney. It swirls
around here, and sticks to everything. Electronics are affected. You'll
notice it mainly in scratchy controls. Darren
http://hometown.aol.com/darren1965co...e/profile.html

Old April 15th 05, 08:04 PM
dxAce

Polly wrote:

wrote:
I did a www.dogpile.com for,Charcoal Filter Ash Trays
I think somewhere among my piles and piles of junk stacked on top of
piles and piles (literally) of junk,I do own a charcoal filter ash

tray
that has a little fan and charcoal filter in the base of it,It uses
either one C cell battery or one D cell battery.I remember I once

tried
it out and the fan makes quite a bit of noise and I decided not to

use
it so I put it back in the box and I stashed it somewhere.By the time

found it,I would have a long grey beard that would stretch from here

Montana www.montanasnews.com and back.I bought it at a Goodwill
thrift store years ago.I am going to the Goodwill thrift store and

the
foodstore and the Home Depot store this afternoon,but first I will

stop
off at Metrocenter Mall www.metromalljackson.com just across
Highway 80 from me and see if there is a store over there that sells

an
ash tray like that.I think there is a fancy tobacco store at

Northpark
Mall (that mall has a website,but I don't remember the website)

wayyyyyy
up North just across County Line Road from Jackson in Ridgeland and

they
might sell those kinds of ash trays.
cuhulin

Well, it appears I was right in my initial impression of you CooKooLin.

You live in a jigaboo neighborhood and you live by jigaboo standards. I
would bet that your filthy roach infested hovel is as close to being
condemned as some of those jigaboo shacks that surround you.

You are white trash PERIOD!

Jigaboo?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old April 15th 05, 09:09 PM

D. Martin wrote:
Smoke pours out of me, like out of some hellish chimney. It swirls
around here, and sticks to everything.

I hope an equal amount goes in to represent the
output!

colin -
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
espresso.ts.uvic.ca receiver reviews - active antennas
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Old April 15th 05, 09:10 PM

John S. wrote:
Check the functioning of all keys, switches and controls. Unless you
can put up with the smell, I would keep looking. I turned an otherwise
immaculate Yaesu 7700 back because it reeked of stale cigarette smoke.

He has dropped the price from about 480(CanuckBux) (425US)
to about 400(CanuckBux) -$350 US which is a great deal..

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
www.coffeecrew.com Colin Newell's Daily Grind
rnewell AT vcn DOT bc DOT ca
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Old April 15th 05, 09:12 PM

I have a theory that tube type oldies
may be less sensitive to puffers..

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Old April 16th 05, 12:24 AM

Ahhhhh,Bite It! Potty Mouth Polly,just BITE IT! I live in a nice neat
tidy neighborhood.Except for living in a few other states,Indiana
1947,Montana 1956,Kansas 1957,Illinois 1963,Texas 1965,one foreign
Country,Vietnam 1964,my old home town 1941 (1947 was in Indiana) through
most of 1949,I have lived right here on the West Side of Jackson and the
few roads in my neighborhood,I have not seen or heard of any crime
around here yet.I keep my yard neat and tidy and I just recently painted
my house too.I just now mowed my yard.Go put some more perfume on,you
Stink! to High Heaven! You SLUT!
cuhulin

Old April 16th 05, 12:36 AM

Potty Mouth Polly,I don't want you moving into my neighborhood,,,,, You
STINK! all of my good neighbors would be holding their noses and
pointing at YOU!
cuhulin