Old April 14th 05, 08:54 AM
Ron Hardin

Default Heil Clear Speech

THe new Heil Clear Speech arrived; save your money, it's a piece of junk.

Audio levels all wrong (no output power), produces feedback under
circumstances where it should not, apparently unshielded, audio seems
distorted even when bypassed. I would not be surprised if the unit
were defective, but I fear it is not.

Its noise reduction amount is offered in steps; these seem okay
(factoring out the distortion) though all steps are less noise
reduction than the Am-com Inc units offered as its single step.

``Bypass'' doesn't bypass the unit; and you lose the bass response,
and no audio through if the unit isn't powered. It shares this fault
with the original Am-com unit, though the Am-comII remedied it by
changing the function of its single switch to actually bypass the unit
when it powered it off. (Cost was that the unit started cold when
you switched it in.)

Physically, I can't figure out how you're supposed to mount the thing;
they have one idea in mind but I don't know what it is.

So anyway, it's a large odd shaped piece of plastic that doesn't work.
If you liked the Am-com version of Clear Speech, you'll hate this.

Maybe somebody else will pick up the Clear Speech algorithm and do it
right. It's great for noise reduction; I have three of the Am-com
base units around the house, and had high hopes here.

--
Ron Hardin

Old April 14th 05, 11:25 AM
Lucky

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
[...]

Morning Ron

I thought you got to use a Clearspeech way before this. Didn't you order it
like 2 months ago? Thanks for the heads up. I was ready to either order this
one or the 599zx.

Isn't it amazing how things change. All I heard was how great this unit was
but I respect your opinion more then others since you know what you're
talking about.
Read some of the reviews on it and you'll see what I mean.

Now I read that the JPS 12 is actually very good....

Lucky

Old April 14th 05, 01:13 PM
Brian Hill

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Ron. Sounds like you may have some stray RF in your shack. Also try
running its power independent from that of your radio?

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

EMAIL-
(Hide the $100 to reply!)

Old April 14th 05, 01:51 PM
Ron Hardin

Brian Hill wrote:
Hi Ron. Sounds like you may have some stray RF in your shack. Also try
running its power independent from that of your radio?

No, in fact the last test was trying to filter audio from an outdoor microphone,
with no RF involved; which is the place that the Am-com version of the thing
really shines, knocking down wind and traffic tire noise, leaving birds or
interesting night sounds perfectly clear.

What it's suffering from is probably a ground loop through its own power source,
as to feedback.

I have _every_ JPS filter (thanks eBay), Timewave 599zx, MFJ 784B, and three
Am-com ClearSpeech filters, and all work fine on the same power supply. This
thing just has some really terrible engineering of some kind. I know that the
algorithm is great thanks to Am-com's version.

The box is dated April 2005, in case someday they get a working version. I won't
be buying another until I see a lot of positive reviews first, however.
--
Ron Hardin

Old April 15th 05, 04:21 AM

Ron Hardin wrote:
THe new Heil Clear Speech arrived; save your money, it's a piece of

junk.

I'm sorry to hear this. I have one of the old Am-Com base units and
love it. I was hoping the Clear Speech would be an improvement.

Can't win 'em all, I guess.

Steve

Old April 15th 05, 06:09 AM
mike maghakian

is it possible you are misleading people ? you might need to do some
tweaking to get it going, they say they spent 10 months on this.

read the comments on their web site, some people say that ferrite beads are
needed and that the speaker is great

LINK:

http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/cle...ch_speaker.htm

Old April 15th 05, 06:13 AM
mike maghakian

it seems that there is an issue that some people faced with this speaker but
most are very happy with it. perhaps you need to look into this further and
get back to us before you smear the reputation of a possibly nice
speaker.......

see this: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4772

Old April 15th 05, 10:11 AM
Ron Hardin

mike maghakian wrote:

it seems that there is an issue that some people faced with this speaker but
most are very happy with it. perhaps you need to look into this further and
get back to us before you smear the reputation of a possibly nice
speaker.......

see this: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4772

It's not an RF problem so ferrite beads won't help. I get feedback on pure audio.
My guess is an output peak drags down the power jack voltge and that's seen by the
encoder as an input, ie. a ground loop with the power cord as the common element.

I've installed it in three different places and it didn't work except slightly in any
of them, and produced feedback in one of them.

It is of course possible that there's some place it might work, owing to a convergence
of favorable circumstances, and that fraction of users may be happy with it; or it may
be that I have a defective unit, who knows. My symptoms though seem to match what others
are saying.

No doubt if I had built it lovingly myself I'd be more investigative, and perhaps rip it
apart and put a capacitor here or there and try it again; but it's supposed to work for the
average guy when he plugs in an input and an output, like every other DSP filter on the
market.

There's supposed to be some way to get the bracket off, it says in the comments. That would
be nice to know as well. Mine arrived without instructions except for a letter of
praise for the unit from KD5XB and WA9UKW feedback problem. The helpfulness this
shows is good, and who can put down the inclination, but the thing is supposed to work
on its own.

I suspect too that just fiddling with the thing will cure the feedback problem; as I say,
two of the three places I tried it didn't produce feedback, though the unit didn't work
as expected in any of them. The feedback just says, in addition, ``as you see, I am
poorly engineered.''
--
Ron Hardin

Old April 15th 05, 12:40 PM
Ron Hardin

I'm getting no audio output at all now. The input level light flashes with
rising and falling audio input level, but no sound comes out. Maybe there's
a very marginal connection inside and it finally decided to become permanently
unconnected, where before it produced distorted output at a low level.

--
Ron Hardin

Old April 15th 05, 12:49 PM
RHF