Old April 24th 05, 10:29 PM
€ Dr. Artaud €

David wrote in
:

A few additions.

Modern scanners are pushing the 3.5 GHz range, so don't feel protected by
the scanners that operate in the 2 GHz range. I stopped at a radio shack
last year, and the manager had his salespeople telling their customers
that the 2 GHz phones were secure since no one made a scanner that went
that high. I informed him otherwise.

As Pirate Bob says, unless it's digital, someone can probably hear it. On
this point, please note that many manufacturers list "Digital" on the
phone or packaging, but sometimes they are intentionally misleading the
buyer, since the Digital reference may pertain to a "Feature" of the
phone, like a Digital answering system.

Some phones use simple "inversion" scrambling, and some scanners are
available with a feature to unscramble such transmissions. If not part of
the scanner, aftermarket items were/are available to permit these signals
to be descrambled. Failing this, you can probably find the circuit design
online and build it yourself.

Other phones use a frequency jumping scheme to deter listeners. This, in
some forms, was the most ludicrous idea that I have ever heard of, since
the phone makes a series of beeps just before jumping. Since the phone
may be latent on a particular frequency for a long time, too much
information can be gleaned before the change occurs. Also, with a fast
scanner and the right frequency steps, one can probably reacquire the
desired conversation again.

I bought an outdoor antenna years ago for my scanner, and installed it on
the roof of my home (this was in a small town), to improve reception on
the public safety bands. I also experimented with the higher frequencies.

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg...te.html#higher
All Amateurs except Novices: 33 centimeter band.
902.0-928.0 MHz: CW, Phone, Image, MCW, RTTY/Data

These are the same as the cordless phone frequencies. We had a cordless
phone and I happened to come across my son speaking with his girlfriend.
By the time I realized what I was hearing, my wife had also overheard the
conversation, and was on the way to annihilate my son for the graphic
nature of his and his girlfriend's speech. I stopped her, but became
rattled that something so personal could be going out over the airwaves.
We gave away our cordless phone and purchased true digital models.

I have apprised my friends, family, coworkers, and occasionally even
strangers at the electronic section of department stores that non-digital
phones compromise their privacy. The usual answer is that they don't have
anything to hide anyway. You would probably be surprised what can be
gleaned by listening to conversations. I would not own a non-Digital
cordless phone.

It is against the law to monitor cordless phone frequencies.

Regards,

Dr. Artaud

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs2-wire.htm#1

"Can other people listen to my cordless phone conversations?
Yes, depending on the kind of phone you use. In most cases, your cordless
phone conversations are probably overheard only briefly and accidentally.
But there are people who make it a hobby to listen to cordless phone
calls using radio scanners. These devices pick up the full range of
wireless transmissions from emergency and law enforcement agencies,
aircraft, mobile systems, weather reports, utilities maintenance
services, among others. Signals from analog cordless phones can also be
picked up by other devices including baby monitors, some walkie-talkies,
and other cordless phones.
Newer digital cordless phones have better security, but cheaper or older
phones have few if any security features. Anyone using a radio scanner
can eavesdrop on older analog cordless phone calls, even if the phone has
multiple channels. "

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs2-wire.htm#5

"LAWS REGARDING WIRELESS EAVESDROPPING
Is it legal to intercept other people's cordless or cellular phone calls?
The Federal Communications Commission (www.fcc.gov) ruled that as of
April 1994 no radio scanners may be manufactured or imported into the
U.S. that can pick up frequencies used by cellular telephones, or that
can be readily altered to receive such frequencies. (47 CFR Part 15.37
(f)) The law rarely deters the determined eavesdropper, however.
Another federal law, the Counterfeit Access Device Law, was amended to
make it illegal to use a radio scanner "knowingly and with the intent to
defraud" to eavesdrop on wire or electronic communication. (18 USC 1029)
Penalties for the intentional interception of cordless and cellular
telephone calls range from fines to imprisonment depending on the
circumstances. (18 USC 2511, 2701)"

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:11:31 -0400, (RM MS) wrote:
but most of the 900+
Mhz phones use encryption schemes and are not listenable.

Dream on. Those boogers are a constant source of entertainment.
Unless it's called ''digital'' they aren't encryted.

Old April 24th 05, 11:26 PM

There used to be a divorced woman who used to live next door to me
(there are six single sisters living in that house next door to me
now,their ages range from 24 to 31 and a couple of them sisters once
told me they would give me some Pussy any time I want it) and I used to
listen to her telephone conversations on one of my Radio Shack scanner
radios.A guy used to phone her and he would talk about picking up a
chick at the mall and all about his sexual fantasies with the chicks.
cuhulin

Old April 24th 05, 11:32 PM
David

It is against the law to monitor cordless phone frequencies.

How about smoking pot and listening to baby monitors while tearing
off mattress tags?

Old April 24th 05, 11:37 PM

I have two of those Radio Shack Amplified Stereo Listerner devices.A few
weeks ago,I bought my second Radio Shack Amplified Stereo Listerner
device model 33-1097 at the Radio Shack store at Metrocenter Mall
www.metromalljackson.com just across Highway 80 from me.I do not own
any illegal items at all! Whatever I can pick up on my legal to own
radios and my legal to own scanner radios and my legal to own CB radios
and my legal to own Transceiver radio is perfectly legal for me to
listen to.
cuhulin

Old April 24th 05, 11:40 PM

www.cityfreq.com
cuhulin

Old April 24th 05, 11:42 PM
DesignGuy

"Jason" wrote in message

Is this a common occurance? Has anybody else got any good stories of

hearing
this kind of stuff?

Several years ago I had just purchased a Drake R8B with the VHF adapter, and
was demonstrating it to my brother-in-law. I was tuning across the cordless
freqs when I heard a woman talking with a man and just sort of left the
radio on while he and I discussed various other things. At some point I
realized the female voice was my next door neighbor, who appeared to be
having a conversation with her therapist (though this was around 9 or 10
pm). As we half-way listened she was mentioning her personal problems, and
then the overheard phone conversation took a decidedly sexual turn, and
that's when I realized that the guy she was talking to was her boyfriend she
was having an affair with. This caught our attention and as we listened it
went into all-out phone sex! I should mention that the woman on the phone
was around 5 ft tall and easily weighed 300 lbs.

I had nightmares for weeks....

Old April 25th 05, 12:10 AM
David

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 17:37:34 -0500, wrote:

I have two of those Radio Shack Amplified Stereo Listerner devices.A few
weeks ago,I bought my second Radio Shack Amplified Stereo Listerner
device model 33-1097 at the Radio Shack store at Metrocenter Mall
www.metromalljackson.com just across Highway 80 from me.I do not own
any illegal items at all! Whatever I can pick up on my legal to own
radios and my legal to own scanner radios and my legal to own CB radios
and my legal to own Transceiver radio is perfectly legal for me to
listen to.
cuhulin

That's not true. You are not allowed to listen to any conversations
to which you are not a party, regardless of your radios' capabilities.

The only exception is for Public Service communications in the clear
(and broadcasters on their main channel.) It is even illegal to
listen to an STL on an RPU.

Old April 25th 05, 12:21 AM

A big fat woman to keep you warm in the winter and shady in the summer
:{)
cuhulin

Old April 25th 05, 12:32 AM
Conan Ford

David wrote in newsm9o61p8unot7i1t149tsfbfehqt5lk3d8@
4ax.com:

[...]

Really? What if you are having a CB conversation and the telephone
conversation interferes with your conversation? How about then? Do you
have to discontinue using the CB channel? What if you are a licensed
amateur and the telephone conversation is smack in the middle of a band you
are licensed to operate on?
Old April 25th 05, 12:49 AM
David

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 23:32:30 GMT, Conan Ford
wrote:

[...]

I'm pretty sure you have to stop listening.

OT - TELEPHONE PROBLEMS Keith Hosman KC8TCQ CB 0 June 30th 04 11:36 PM
Peaked and Tuned Dan CB 108 May 15th 04 03:48 PM
FCC Amateur Radio Enforcement Letters for the Period Ending May 1, 2004 private General 0 May 10th 04 09:39 PM
Why Can't N-ZERO-IMD Validate His Own Claims...?!?! Steve Robeson, K4CAP Policy 90 April 5th 04 12:02 AM
Freqs for cordless ph pro 95 help The Ts Scanner 4 January 5th 04 05:45 AM