Old April 25th 05, 10:54 AM
Ron Hardin

David wrote:
I thought AM IBOC sounded more like a vaccum cleaner.

Right, it's not IBOC (and it's not power supply noise). It's actual
low frequency modulation on 1190, complementary in each sideband
(so you don't hear it unless you're receiving one sideband only).

I'd doubt you could hear it at night since there are so many other
stations competing for the frequency, unless you're really close.

Whether it's WOWO or not I can't say, but it seems to be most likely,
since it's the only 1190 station really in competition for Central
Ohio in the daytime.

WFAN 660 had the same sort of thing for a couple of months last winter,
only it was a phase modulation introduced by their broken power supply,
inaudible unless you were hearing only one sideband.

This sounds more like a low bandwidth digital subcarrier.

--
Ron Hardin

Old April 25th 05, 11:25 AM
wavetrapper

Ok. There was a lot of discussion on some MW boards about the WOWO
IBOC this past week. Assumed it was IBOC going through some
adjustments there.

I have heard is described differently in terms of what it sounds like.
I have listened to some clips and it is hard to describe.

Old April 25th 05, 03:30 PM
Rich Wood

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 02:07:06 GMT, David wrote:

I thought AM IBOC sounded more like a vaccum cleaner.

Are you suggesting it sucks?

Rich

Old April 25th 05, 03:37 PM
Ron Hardin

Ron Hardin wrote:

David wrote:
I thought AM IBOC sounded more like a vaccum cleaner.

Right, it's not IBOC (and it's not power supply noise). It's actual
low frequency modulation on 1190, complementary in each sideband
(so you don't hear it unless you're receiving one sideband only).

I'd doubt you could hear it at night since there are so many other
stations competing for the frequency, unless you're really close.

Whether it's WOWO or not I can't say, but it seems to be most likely,
since it's the only 1190 station really in competition for Central
Ohio in the daytime.

WFAN 660 had the same sort of thing for a couple of months last winter,
only it was a phase modulation introduced by their broken power supply,
inaudible unless you were hearing only one sideband.

This sounds more like a low bandwidth digital subcarrier.

I take it back. It's an on-frequency artifact of IBOC after all.
WCOL 1230 Columbus (or whatever they're calling it now) has the same
deal, a diesel engine idling sound when received either LSB only or USB only
but no sound when both sidebands are received. It has IBOC, and in fact I
spend a fair amount of time nulling its splatter into 1240 away to hear
Zanesville Ohio. That 10 kHz off-channel splatter is the obvious component
of IBOC. I hadn't noticed this on-channel artifact before.

So it's a way to tell who is the IBOC splatter source : who has the diesel engine
sound when received LSB (or USB) only.
--
Ron Hardin

Old April 25th 05, 05:06 PM

Zanesville,Ohio.Isn't that were they can go to the bridge and turn
right?
cuhulin

Old April 25th 05, 06:05 PM
David

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:30:15 -0400, Rich Wood
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 02:07:06 GMT, David wrote:

I thought AM IBOC sounded more like a vaccum cleaner.

Are you suggesting it sucks?

Rich

I'm a Leonard Kahn fan.

Old April 25th 05, 11:00 PM
David

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:08:22 GMT, "David Eduardo"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 02:07:06 GMT, David wrote:

I thought AM IBOC sounded more like a vaccum cleaner.

Are you suggesting it sucks?

Rich

I'm a Leonard Kahn fan.

Oh, the guy who killed AM radio?

The phase-lock-loop digital tuner did in AM radio. It sounds like
**** when perfectly tuned in.

Old April 26th 05, 03:21 AM
David Eduardo

"David" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:08:22 GMT, "David Eduardo"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 02:07:06 GMT, David wrote:

I thought AM IBOC sounded more like a vaccum cleaner.

Are you suggesting it sucks?

Rich

I'm a Leonard Kahn fan.

Oh, the guy who killed AM radio?

The phase-lock-loop digital tuner did in AM radio. It sounds like
**** when perfectly tuned in.

When Leonard sued and stopped AM stereo, AM still had over 50% of the
audience. By the time the legal issues were solved, AM had half that and
could never recover. Analog AM stereo, in the late 70's, could have helped
keep the balance between AM and FM. The legal machinations stopped this.

Old April 26th 05, 05:17 AM
Tony Meloche

wrote:

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 02:07:06 GMT, David wrote:

I thought AM IBOC sounded more like a vaccum cleaner.

Are you suggesting it sucks?

Rich

I'm a Leonard Kahn fan.

Oh, the guy who killed AM radio?

The phase-lock-loop digital tuner did in AM radio. It sounds like
**** when perfectly tuned in.

When Leonard sued and stopped AM stereo, AM still had over 50% of the
audience. By the time the legal issues were solved, AM had half that and
could never recover. Analog AM stereo, in the late 70's, could have helped
keep the balance between AM and FM. The legal machinations stopped this.

Horse hockey. I'm not saying Leonard's suit didn't hamper the
reality of AM stereo, but if it had become a mainstream thing, "stereo
lo-fi" would have never held it's own against "stereo hi-fi" (FM).
Especially when the FM stations went to virtually ALL types of
programming during the seventies. Prior to that, FM was classical,
alternative (including what was known as "AOR") and as a vanguard,
country.

Nobody loves good old AM radio like I do, but there is no accident
to the fact that AM radio today is very largely 24 hour news, sports,
and talk radio formats. That had a whole lot more to do with changing
technology than it did with Leonard Kahn. Classical music will always
sound tremendously better on FM than AM because of the frequency
bandwith. Classical music (as one example) in AM stereo will sound like
stereo AM radio broadcast of classical music. A pale imitation of
stereo FM broadcast of classical music.

Tony