Old April 25th 05, 02:36 AM
wavetrapper

Ron,

You are hearing the broadcasting disaster known as IBOC...brought to
you by Ibiquity. There are about 70 stations now running IBOC. This
creates a digital signal for the "wonderful" HD radio that no one
wants. It wipes out the adjacent channels on both sides.

The FCC is a big fan of IBOC and approved it last year (so we can have
higher quality sounding signals on AM). So far, daytime only (except
for tests). I can't imagine what it will be like when it gets approved
for night use on MW.

You can kiss at least +/- 10 khz goodbye for any station running IBOC.

Let's hope the marketplace votes "no" on this and IBOC dies a swift
death.

Russ

Old April 25th 05, 02:43 AM
Tony Meloche

wavetrapper wrote:
Ron,

You are hearing the broadcasting disaster known as IBOC...brought to
you by Ibiquity. There are about 70 stations now running IBOC. This
creates a digital signal for the "wonderful" HD radio that no one
wants. It wipes out the adjacent channels on both sides.

The FCC is a big fan of IBOC and approved it last year (so we can have
higher quality sounding signals on AM). So far, daytime only (except
for tests). I can't imagine what it will be like when it gets approved
for night use on MW.

You can kiss at least +/- 10 khz goodbye for any station running IBOC.

Let's hope the marketplace votes "no" on this and IBOC dies a swift
death.

Russ

I'm not familiar enough with IBOC at this point to have strong
feelings about it one way or another, but I well remember a bit of
idiocy making the rounds in the early to mid 70's called "stereo AM".
Stereo lo-fi - sheesh. I thought it was an assinine idea then, and I
think so now. Evidently, the marketplace agreed, and it died a quick death.

Tony

Old April 25th 05, 02:56 AM

Russ,is there a website where I can vote NO to that IBOC and HD
nonsense? I think WOWO used to have a station break thingy that went
something like,W OOOOOO W OOOOOO,in Fort Wayne,Indiana!
cuhulin

Old April 25th 05, 03:07 AM
David

On 24 Apr 2005 18:36:25 -0700, "wavetrapper" wrote:

Ron,

You are hearing the broadcasting disaster known as IBOC...brought to
you by Ibiquity. There are about 70 stations now running IBOC. This
creates a digital signal for the "wonderful" HD radio that no one
wants. It wipes out the adjacent channels on both sides.

The FCC is a big fan of IBOC and approved it last year (so we can have
higher quality sounding signals on AM). So far, daytime only (except
for tests). I can't imagine what it will be like when it gets approved
for night use on MW.

You can kiss at least +/- 10 khz goodbye for any station running IBOC.

Let's hope the marketplace votes "no" on this and IBOC dies a swift
death.

Russ

I thought AM IBOC sounded more like a vaccum cleaner.

Old April 25th 05, 03:13 AM
David

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:43:47 -0400, Tony Meloche
wrote:

wavetrapper wrote:
[...]

Stereo AM sounded really good until the NRSC mask and the
complete-tuner-on-a-chip with the 2.7 kHz filter.

Old April 25th 05, 06:57 AM

I am listening to 1190 AM on my radio right now for a while and it isn't
a very strong signal,it is fading in and out and I do have my radio
turned toward Fort Wayne,Indiana.Is the Art Bell radio show on WOWO
right now? It is near the top of the hour now and I suppose the radio
station will do a station ID of whatever City it is.I think I will do a
www.dogpile.com for,Find Distance and see how far Fort Wayne is from
Jackson.
cuhulin

Old April 25th 05, 07:14 AM

Yep,,that is WOWO 1190 Fort Wayne's News,Talk and Weather I was
listening to,Depend on it! the guy in WOWO land said.Fort Wayne is 666
miles North of Jackson,according to www.indo.com/distance I am fixin
to watch Escape From New York movie on telebision now and read some news
updates on the telebision internet.
cuhulin

Old April 25th 05, 08:04 AM

Last night Art Bell said he is taking Sunday off,some sort of a meeting
or something he was going to in Southern California and I think he did
say something about a pre-recorded radio talk show of his would be on
tonight.I have to get my beauty sleep now.It's tough work holding this
old couch down.
cuhulin