Old April 27th 05, 06:01 AM

Why sure,Eric F. Richards,I listen to my Scotch and my Irish CD Music
and some of my CD's,I order directly from Scotland and Ireland.I am
Scotch Irish by Ancestry.Why do you have a problem about that? My
Whiskey? I prefer Old Crow Whiskey. (now I reckon you will tell me where
Old Crow Whiskey comes from,eh?) I buy a small bottle of Old Crow
Whiskey once a year and I have me a drop of Old Crow Whiskey on New
Years day and on Fourth of July day and on Thanksgiving day and on my
Birthday.What is wrong with that? I am only sixty three years and about
five months old,I am a big boy now and I can,and I do drink my Old Crow
Whiskey.
cuhulin

Old April 27th 05, 01:02 PM
David

On 26 Apr 2005 19:57:27 -0500, Jim wrote:

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:49:38 GMT, David wrote:

CD's are popular because they don't get scratched.

What planet are you on? CDs are *easily* damaged by a scratch - in
fact you can make a CD unplayable by a single scratch.

Jim

You need a better CD player.

Old April 27th 05, 01:03 PM
David

Sorry pal, most people don't care.

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 00:06:58 -0400, Tony Meloche

Old April 27th 05, 02:33 PM
Eric F. Richards

Tony Meloche wrote:

The engineers made a tremendous accomplishment with wideband AM stereo.
The consumer shrugged.

The engineers made a tremendous accomplishment with CD technology.
The consumer was ecstatic.

There was a marketing plan developed by Phillips and Sony (CD
inventors) to make sure that both media and players would be available
at the same time.

They were doing this specifically in a reaction to what happened to
quadraphonic stereo (remember that?) when the media, stations,
receivers and multiple incompatible broadcast formats doomed it.

I suggest that something like that happened with AM stereo. How many
AM stations were willing to make the investment in the equipment? How
many buyers were willing to buy a receiver for perhaps 1 station in
their area, which might not broadcast their desired programming?
--
Eric F. Richards

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- Myron Glass,
often attributed to J. R. Pierce, Bell Labs, c. 1940

Old April 27th 05, 06:22 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
Jim wrote:
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 21:49:38 GMT, David wrote:

CD's are popular because they don't get scratched.

What planet are you on? CDs are *easily* damaged by a scratch - in
fact you can make a CD unplayable by a single scratch.

You can polish a CD back to life, but an LP was GONE.

How old are you? Back in the vinyl days, you just didn't loan out
your records unless it was somebody you really trusted, because
some slob could trash the LP at the drop of the needle.

And with the end of vinyl, a lot of record stores, (usually specialized
in classical music) are gone, because they depended on replacement
sales of people's favorite records. That's a lot of the problem with
the records business, they took the sales level from the period when
people were replacing their vinyl with CDs as a permanent trend instead
of a temporary peak. With fast growth come the bean counters and with
bean counters comes the death of an industry.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old April 27th 05, 07:38 PM
Tony Meloche

Eric F. Richards wrote:
Tony Meloche wrote:

The engineers made a tremendous accomplishment with wideband AM stereo.
The consumer shrugged.

The engineers made a tremendous accomplishment with CD technology.
The consumer was ecstatic.

There was a marketing plan developed by Phillips and Sony (CD
inventors) to make sure that both media and players would be available
at the same time.

They were doing this specifically in a reaction to what happened to
quadraphonic stereo (remember that?) when the media, stations,
receivers and multiple incompatible broadcast formats doomed it.

I suggest that something like that happened with AM stereo. How many
AM stations were willing to make the investment in the equipment? How
many buyers were willing to buy a receiver for perhaps 1 station in
their area, which might not broadcast their desired programming?

I agree - that was a lot of it - and I mean a LOT of it, absolutely.

Tony

Old April 27th 05, 07:44 PM
Tony Meloche

David wrote:
Sorry pal, most people don't care.

But "Don't care" is a whole lot different than "can't tell".

Tony

Old April 28th 05, 01:04 AM
atomicthumbs

Woohoo! Independent sideband! Too bad they banned it, that would have
made a good packet or duplex ham interface.

Old April 28th 05, 01:04 AM
atomicthumbs