Old April 25th 05, 05:58 PM

Default Hallicrafters S-38EB

So,I guess my old Hallicrafters S-38EB (maybe somebody will find a
picture of one like that on the internet? I don't feel like looking for
it) Radio that I bought for a measly $4.00 at a Goodwill thrift store
about nine years ago isn't worth much money? It is in very good physical
and cosmetic condition and there isn't anything missing from the Radio
and it still works too,even the dial light still works.I don't know if
it works as good as when it was brand new because I have never owned a
new Hallicrafters S-38EB Radio before but it seems to work ok to me.How
much money is a Radio like that worth nowdays and how old is my
Hallicrafters S-38EB Radio? I am thinking it dates back to the 1950's or
early 1960's.Not that it is for sale,it isn't for sale.I like to hang on
to my old things.
cuhulin

Old April 25th 05, 11:01 PM

Thanks for the information about S-38EB Radios,Dr. Artaud.It is always
interesting to me to find out something about my old dinasaur radio
collection.I guess you could say my radio is a blonde color.I just now
took another look at it (it is sitting on a big old antique trunk in my
dining room) and I think it has a Maple wood woodgrain look.Most of us
have seen metal things painted to look like wood/woodgrain such as the
dashboards in old cars and different kinds of things.
cuhulin

Old April 25th 05, 11:10 PM
David

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 20:56:58 -0000, "€ Dr. Artaud €"
wrote:

wrote in news:23202-426D21A6-528@storefull-
3254.bay.webtv.net:

Images courtesy of Google Images link and the attributed page.

http://hug-a-bug.com/S-38E.html

"Also, there was a Hallicrafters S-38EB receiver, which has a blonde metal
case and gold trim. My best friend owned the receiver with the blonde
metal case, and I believe it is considered rare."

I included the above comment from the linked page, but I don't know how
true the comment is.

Nice Radio Cuhulin. The particular manufacturing dates are included on the
page from the above link.

Regards,

Dr. Artaud

Hallicrafters S-38EB

The Lafayette Japanese clone was a superior radio.

Old April 25th 05, 11:15 PM
David

wrote:

wrote in news:23202-426D21A6-528@storefull-
3254.bay.webtv.net:

Images courtesy of Google Images link and the attributed page.

http://hug-a-bug.com/S-38E.html

"Also, there was a Hallicrafters S-38EB receiver, which has a blonde metal
case and gold trim. My best friend owned the receiver with the blonde
metal case, and I believe it is considered rare."

I included the above comment from the linked page, but I don't know how
true the comment is.

Nice Radio Cuhulin. The particular manufacturing dates are included on the
page from the above link.

Regards,

Dr. Artaud

Hallicrafters S-38EB

The Lafayette Japanese clone was a superior radio.

Scroll down:

http://www.qsl.net/la5ki/org/la/la.htm

Old April 25th 05, 11:17 PM
David

http://www.qsl.net/la5ki/org/la/kt200.htm

Old April 25th 05, 11:37 PM

I only paid four dollars for the radio at a Goodwill thrift store.If I
ever see a "superior" Japanese clone of the radio at a thrift store and
the price is only a few dollars,I will buy that "superior" Japanese
clone radio too.
cuhulin

Old April 25th 05, 11:42 PM

Yeah,that's right,go ahead and knock my Hallicrafters S-38EB Radio.If I
find me a Watkins-Johnson Radio (my dream Radio) of a Drake R8B Radio or
a Ten-Tec Radio at a thrift store for a few dollars,I reckon you will
find something wrong with those Radios too.Sheesh,just can't win for
loseing!
cuhulin

Old April 26th 05, 01:22 AM
€ Dr. Artaud €

wrote in news:9822-426D68CC-639@storefull-
3257.bay.webtv.net:

There was a flea market near here that occupied an essentially abandoned
mall. During warmer weather, quite a few vendors crowded the outside, and,
regardless of the weather, the regulars were always inside. These people
rented spaces year round.

One of the regulars was a nice old man with blue lips (Cyanosis of some
sort, not enough oxygen to his lips). Anyway, he always had several tube
type shortwave radios. He repaired them, replacing the capacitors and such
as needed, and would sell them at the flea market. They were always fine
examples of equipment.

I don't know if sell is the appropriate word, as it seemed that the same
radios were there week to week. Most likely the locals simply didn't have
any interest in shortwave, as his equipment would have sold easily on E-
Bay. I always wanted to buy one, but knowing that I really didn't have the
space for it, never got around to it. He would also sell Model Trains,
Phones, and miscellaneous stuff including CBs and older programmable
scanners, I bought a scanner from him once.

The scanner was an older Radio Shack model that was easily modifiable for
cellular reception.
http://scanpix1.home.att.net/RS/pro2030.jpg
http://www.phreak.org/radio/mods/pro2030.txt

It had been modified prior to my purchasing it. The radio would indeed
receive cellular, but the radio had a small problem with the receive, and
it would cut out periodically. I made the mistake and sent it back to Radio
Shack for repair. They found a cold solder joint, something that I had
looked for, but did not find.

When I got the radio back, it no longer received cellular. I took the radio
apart to see if they restored the wire that had originally been cut to
allow cellular reception, but they hadn't. A close look revealed that they
had replaced an entire processor board. Obviously this is more than a cold
solder joint. All I can think is that they are required to alter repaired
scanners to prohibit cellular reception, perhaps, at least, altering the
radios that appear to have been illegally modified by their owners.

Regards,

Dr. Artaud

Old April 26th 05, 02:29 AM

I knew that,the hot chassis thingy.(I wasen't born yesterday,ya know) I
did play around with it a few days and then I unplugged it and it just
sits there on top of my big old antique trunk in my dining room and
gathers dust.But,I will never get rid of it.For only four dollars,I
wasen't about to pass it up.
cuhulin