Old April 26th 05, 05:27 PM

Fiber Optic,Fiber Optic is the way to go.The more the better.Or does
that make any sense? I saw a website a few days ago about a company
which sells Fiber Optic cables if anybody wants the URL of the website.I
think I emailed it to myself.
cuhulin

Old April 26th 05, 05:31 PM

Two or three years ago,either Popular Science or Popular Mechanics
magazine had an article about electro magnetic devices that could be
built for $500.00.
I DON't want one!
cuhulin

Old April 26th 05, 06:41 PM
Mark Zenier

In article , running dogg wrote:
Actually, the idea of terrorists detonating a nuclear bomb over the US
to wipe out solid state technology dates from 2000, when it was used as

Actually it dates from the late 1950's or early 1960's when they detonated
a bomb several hundred miles above Johnson Atoll and blew out street
lights in Hawaii 700? miles to the north.

Only about one or two percent of the bomb's energy is converted to
the EMP. It come from the interaction when the X-ray wavefront of the
explosion slams into the atoms in the upper atmosphere, and the displaced
electrons get jerked. Add in the earth's magnetic field and you end up
with a pulse generated in a pancake shaped area about 1000 miles across
(depending on the altitude of the explosion). This pulse has a very
short risetime, under 100 nanoseconds and then tails off over several
microseconds.

But the key point is that you need an antenna that picks it up.
If the antennas (intended or accidental) are short enough, they won't
collect enough energy to harm the equipment. And the equipment has to
be sensitive in the first place. Pretty much like dealing with nearby
lightning strikes.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old April 26th 05, 08:56 PM

http://deepsurplus.site.yahoo.net/
That is what the website's URL says.Fiber Optic's and other kinds of
things.If the website doesn't download, www.dogpile.com it.
Deep Surplus
cuhulin

Old May 1st 05, 08:26 PM
clifto

dxAce wrote:
I have the strangest feeling that listening to shortwave may not be one of my
highest priorities should atomic bombs begin going off over the USA.

I'm not so sure. I might be looking for accurate news after the cable
system goes out.

--
I miss my .signature.

Old May 2nd 05, 12:13 AM
D. Martin

Recently, I picked up an old tube-type AM/clock Philco radio. I only
purchased it because it was in pristine shape, and they were
practically giving it away. The clock-face doesn't light up, but it
performs otherwise as new. In regards to any dire-straights type
scenario, food, shelter, water, and such would be of priority. Any
listening device might give useful clues as to the state of things in
general. Darren