Old May 7th 05, 05:01 PM

Default Wanted: General Coverage Receiver AM/SB/USB

Wanted: General Coverage Receiver AM/SB/USB
Any make or model.
Please leave Model/Price/Phone number to call.
Thanks...Rich
Old May 8th 05, 12:50 AM
running dogg

€ Dr. Artaud € wrote:

wrote in news:dipp71labgdc83gqvttrq4etkdqaks1i98@
4ax.com:

Sounds like an E-Bay entrepreneur. Doesn't really care which model, just
radios collectively.

Radios, if one can obtain the right models, can indeed yield a healthy
return for your investment. I was given a radio, the receiver side of a
tube HAM set, by an individual at work. I sold it, along with some other
items, to a local business that specializes in e-bay auctioning.

Oh woe is me, as he received, for just the receiver, at least twice as much
as he paid me for the entire lot. That's the way business goes. If I began
e-baying, and had zero sales, I doubt that the buyers would have trusted me
enough to have paid they price that they did. The seller has 1500 or more
sales with a 98% satisfaction rate.

When I was a teenager, I bought a Sony TR-620, a little MW transistor
radio made in about 1961, for 50 cents at a flea market. Six years later
I sold it in an antique radio magazine classified ad for $80. I didn't
do anything special to it, I didn't restore it, I didn't mess with it.
This was long before Ebay, in fact still when few people had the
internet, most people put their phone numbers in their ads and you had
to pay long distance charges to call them. Unfortunately, ever since the
advent of Ebay, great deals like that are increasingly hard to find. I
noted to a friend today that one rarely sees radios, either tube or
transistor, in antique stores nowadays. When I was a teenager in the
early 90s radios were plentiful. I think that most of the tube radios
and probably most of the pre-1963 transistor radios that are out there
have been spoken for. I suppose there's still some baby boomers holding
on to "my first radio", and as they die there will be a wave of 1950s
transistor radios hitting the market, but other than that most of the
radios are stashed away in collections. Finding a 1930s tube radio in
some old forgotten barn somewhere is rare nowadays, IMO. It's about the
same odds as finding an Edsel in that barn, or a Stradivarius violin. In
fact, I saw a website a few years ago that said that the chances of
finding an undiscovered pre WW2 TV set, of either US or UK manufacture,
is about the same as finding an undiscovered Stradivarius violin.

Dr. Artaud

Old May 8th 05, 02:11 AM
€ Dr. Artaud €

running dogg wrote in :

I haven't done them, but estate sales are probably the best way to garner
interesting items. Older people, upon passing, may have kept items
hoarded away, either for their keepsake value, or simply since people
from harder times valued their possessions more, even if they fell into
disuse. Also, as a telling sign to modern quality, things made years ago
tended to last a long time. Manufacturers actually believed that people
wanted quality.

As soon as anyone gets hold of an item that they realize will sell on e-
bay for a good sum, there is little chance of seeing these items locally.
Near the area that I live, as little as 15 years ago, a friend was
walking down the sidewalk early one morning. Protruding from the curbside
garbage can from a residence was a rifle. My friend removed the rifle,
knocked, and an old woman came to the door. She had thrown the gun away,
apparently it was her now deceased husband's, she had no use for it. He
asked permission to take it, even though it was officially trash anyway,
and she readily agreed. It's not like it was an AR-15 or something like
that, it was a 30-30. But it was worth something, especially more so than
scrap. (never mind the implications of a child getting hold of the rifle,
she was old and probably didn't understand the ramifications of what she
had done).

Every once in a while, I see someone at work that gets a fantastic deal
on a car from a widow or simply a neighbor that wants to get rid of their
car, perhaps they are in bad health. The amount that they pay is
ludicrously low compared to what the car is really worth. Certainly there
are HAMs and SWLers wives out their that don't know what to do with their
departed hubby's equipment. If I were buying the item for myself, even if
the price is below market, I wouldn't feel too guilty, but I would be
guilt ridden if I habitually bought items for resale at significantly
greater prices. I do realize that business is business, perhaps that is
why I am not a lawyer or businessman.

Dr. Artaud

My strange link of the day:
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/numanuma.html

Then:
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/sup...cillusion.html

Old May 8th 05, 03:58 AM
running dogg

€ Dr. Artaud € wrote:

running dogg wrote in :

I haven't done them, but estate sales are probably the best way to garner
interesting items. Older people, upon passing, may have kept items
hoarded away, either for their keepsake value, or simply since people
from harder times valued their possessions more, even if they fell into
disuse. Also, as a telling sign to modern quality, things made years ago
tended to last a long time. Manufacturers actually believed that people
wanted quality.

I've done a few small estate sales, and mostly the old people gave away
the really good stuff during their lifetimes and kept all the
knickknacks. It's true that most Depression children valued treasured
items more than the generations who came after them, but some had
strange (to us) notions of what they treasured. My grandparents have a
beautiful Art Deco cake mixer made by Montgomery Ward still on their
counter and neatly covered and dusted even though it likely hasn't been
used since my mother was a girl. They hardly have anything else old and
interesting left. My grandfather once had sheds full of radios (he
repaired them) but gave them away the year before I was born (1974). Yet
he kept tons of nonprecious rock used to make tourist jewelry for 35
years. A man down the street had a 1950s console TV/radio (AM-FM)/phono
in decent shape in a shed. His kids threw it out in the street. By the
time I got to it, it had been gutted of electronics and the cabinet
left. Later I saw a Mexican hacking up the cabinet with an ax for
firewood.

[...]

See above.

Every once in a while, I see someone at work that gets a fantastic deal
on a car from a widow or simply a neighbor that wants to get rid of their
car, perhaps they are in bad health. The amount that they pay is
ludicrously low compared to what the car is really worth. Certainly there
are HAMs and SWLers wives out their that don't know what to do with their
departed hubby's equipment. If I were buying the item for myself, even if
the price is below market, I wouldn't feel too guilty, but I would be
guilt ridden if I habitually bought items for resale at significantly
greater prices. I do realize that business is business, perhaps that is
why I am not a lawyer or businessman.

Hell, I know people who buy rundown homes from people in distress and
then turn around and resell them to fixer uppers who pay much, much more
than the house is worth in its current shape, and then fix it and sell
it to an investor who turns around and rents it to a bunch of lowlifes
who trash it. I tried doing that, and even though I was assured by the
"investors" that it was fine, it still left a bad taste in my mouth.
Maybe that's why I'm learning a trade and plan to start a business by
providing a service instead of trying to buy low and sell high. I've
bought radios from old people who say "I can't take this treasured
keepsake to the pearly gates" and I was fine with it because I was
buying it for my own personal enjoyment. But I wouldn't turn around and
sell it on ebay.