Old May 14th 05, 03:35 AM

Default What is a Panasonic RF-2900 Worth to YOU?

Universal Radio has one of these on offer for $270, used of course.
Who pays this much for one of these? Not even the nuts on eBay pay
that much for an RF-2900, unless it's one of the Euro versions with the
in-built preselector.
Decent enough radio to play around with, sure. But for nearly $300??
I guess they're looking for a desperate, impatient collector to snatch
this one.
It's a bad price even by Osterman's own used shortwave receiver guide
on dxing.com.

Old May 14th 05, 04:57 PM
John S.

I've seen them go for higher on Ebay, so there is definitely collector
and user interest in those old digi-analog radios. And they are not
being made any more. There are two companies left making portables
these days and none of their sub-$300 products come close in audio
quality.

So to answer your question: "Who pays this much for one of these?"

The person who wants one.

Old May 14th 05, 11:45 PM
€ Dr. Artaud €

wrote in news:1116038107.003168.116110
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

It's even worse than you describe, see the following. Missing battery cover
with homemade metal replacement. Not knowing the model, but from the
description below, it sounds as if it also has homemade antenna terminals?
Missing BFO switch. (I originally mistakenly wrote BRO switch, I am sure
that would have made for some humor)

Too much for too little.

Regards,

Dr. Artaud

http://www.universal-radio.com/used/used1.html
"Shortwave Receiver
Notes: The RF-2900 has an analog and digital displays
and covers the AM, FM and SW bands. Has jacks for Record and Speaker. Has
S-Meter and knobs for Bass and Treble. The rear panel has homebrew metal
replacement battery cover and antenna terminals. BFO switch handle is gone,
but BFO is functional. AC cord and strap only."

Old May 16th 05, 11:49 PM
jamulc

John S. is right that the '2900 is a nice sounding radio. I have one
of these and it's a pleasure to listen to for program listening. Good
on MW as well. Its sibling the '2600 is a nice one too, as far as
these analog portables w/digital readout go.

$270 is pretty steep though, especially for the particular one on offer
at Universal even if Universal does offer a six month warranty.

I picked up my '2900 for about $135 about a year back on eBay. Very
nice one with only one minor scratch on the side (certainly no switches
broken off or home-rigged battery compartment cover). I'd take a '2900
or '2600 over the Grundig S350 anyday (don't get me wrong I like the
fact that Grundig responded to market demand for this sort of product
by putting the S350 out there).

Of course, neither the '2900 nor the '2600 is in the same league as the
RF-2200, in my opinion. That was a nice one. And that fact is easily
reflected in the eBay bidding wars that periodically take place for the
'2200.

As for the person who wants one, he/she can easily do better with
regard to price and condition.

Old May 21st 05, 05:39 PM
Daniel L. Srebnick

Just to add fuel to the debate, I have an RF-2800 that I might want to part
with. The RF-2800, IIRC, is the same radio as the RF-2900 except the
digital readout does not work on mediumwave. I am the original owner of
this radio. It has been well cared for. It does sound great. Think of
the audio quality of the GE Superradio in a shortwave receiver. It is
in excellent condition. It comes with the carrying strap and the visor
that goes over the digital readout. It has the original earphone, barely
(or not ever) used.

I have the original sales receipt. I have the original manual. The
original box is long gone.

Years ago, this radio was my primary DX machine. I received mediumwave
from Europe in NY. It is very sensitive. I received a lot of LA DX and
FM DX.

If someone wants to make me an offer in excess of what Universal is looking
for with the RF-2900, I might be tempted to accept. Remove the NOSPAM
to reply.