Old June 4th 05, 02:13 PM
Tony Meloche

clifto wrote:
Tony Meloche wrote:

John S. wrote:

Hazards (and fun) of long distance dxning I guess. Had my favorite
Toronto oldies station AM740 disappear into the mud for 2 weeks...I was
in withdrawl!!! But now it's back.

I could have written this post! The solar activity made AM 740 vanish,
all right, but it is coming back these last few nights. Where do you
listen from, John?

It comes and goes for me in suburban Chicago.

Same neighborhood (DX speaking) - I'm in SW Michigan.

Tony

Old June 4th 05, 02:34 PM
John S.

Naw...don't sell that radio. If there is any one thing guaranteed
about shortwave and mw dxing, it is that propogation will always
change. When my favorite AM 740 disappeared some other station popped
in...barely audible, but it was there.

Old June 4th 05, 02:36 PM
John S.

Hi Tony. I'm listening from Northen Virginia, how about you. Yes
there were times when 740 was coming in during the morning rush hour!!!
That's what I love about dxning...it is never constant!!!

Old June 4th 05, 07:53 PM
Tony Meloche

John S. wrote:

Hi Tony. I'm listening from Northen Virginia, how about you. Yes
there were times when 740 was coming in during the morning rush hour!!!
That's what I love about dxning...it is never constant!!! When my favorite AM 740
disappeared some other station popped
in...barely audible, but it was there.

Sorry I didn't mention it in my first post, and you evidently missed
my follow-up one: I'm in the SW corner of Michigan. The faint station
you were hearing on that frequency was likely KRMG from Tulsa, OK. On a
good winter night, it clashes annoyingly with CHWO where I am, though
CHWO usually wins. It's no problem past KRMG's night operation time, as
they then drop to 25,000W.

Tony

Old June 5th 05, 12:12 AM
Tony Meloche

David Eduardo wrote:
"Tony Meloche" wrote in message

John S. wrote:

Hi Tony. I'm listening from Northen Virginia, how about you. Yes
there were times when 740 was coming in during the morning rush hour!!!
That's what I love about dxning...it is never constant!!! When my
favorite AM 740
disappeared some other station popped
in...barely audible, but it was there.

Sorry I didn't mention it in my first post, and you evidently missed my
follow-up one: I'm in the SW corner of Michigan. The faint station you
were hearing on that frequency was likely KRMG from Tulsa, OK. On a good
winter night, it clashes annoyingly with CHWO where I am, though CHWO
usually wins. It's no problem past KRMG's night operation time, as they
then drop to 25,000W.

It is not the power drop, it is the fact that KRMG is extremely directional
at night in that direction. 25 kw is huge power, and a change from 50 kw to
25 kw would hardly be noticed, as it only effects the station's field
strength by 25%.

(Shrug) I can only tell you what I hear at my location during the
winter months. When darkness comes to the Central time zone, overlap
from KRMG falls off sharply here.

Tony

Old June 5th 05, 02:30 AM
David Eduardo

John S. wrote:

[...]

And that is because KRMG goes directional at night, sending nearly all the
signal away from you. It is not because they reduce power.

Old June 5th 05, 02:54 AM
Tony Meloche

John S. wrote:

[...]

Ah, so - I knew they had a DA2 antenna, but in your last post I
thought you were saying that the nightime direction *was* in my
direction. Thanks for the clarification.

Tony