Old June 8th 05, 03:02 AM

Default ground and antenna thoughts

Since the fun flame feast we had over lightening
protection, I thought it might be very usefull
to newbies to make some points clearer then I
think is common.

First I don't care if anyone choses to pay the
slightest bit of attention to what I say. I am
only trying to pass on the help that I received
from others in the past.

Forget about protecting your radio and electronics.
Think instead about keeping your home from burning
down, or killing yourself, and your family.
Lightning fires can spread as if an accelerant
was used.

Think about what trouble you might face if your
installation was "illegal", found to violate the
local or state electrical code and your insurance
company may be able to refuse to pay.

Refuse to pay anything.

I won't bother posting links to the National
Electrical Code, they are simple to find.

You might want to your insurance agent, or read
your insurance policy. Call your local fire
department or building inspector and find out
who handles electrical inspections. Call them
from a payphone if you fear bringing down the
harpies of code enforcement upon yourself. And ask
what the rules are. Copies should be availble
for public inpsection at the planing and zoning
commision and/or the local library.

All I can say is that in my location, there are
strict rules requiring adherence to the NEC. And
my insurance has a clause that clearly states
that non compliant or non apporoved modifications,
additions, "may result in denial of your claim".
Yea and the sun might come up Friday. Any takers
of a bet that they would pay?

The fire marshal told me that if a non conforming
installation caused a fire that caused injury or death
WOULD face prosecution. Period. No exceptions.

That ALL of these prosecutions have resulted in convictions.

So at the very least, meet the requirements of the law.
I have had two direct hits, the first vaporised the top
2' of my 108" 10mtr whip, the second vaporised my 70'
#14 hard drawn antenna, the 9:1 matching tranformer,
and blew the metal case to dime sized pieces,
and blew holes in my burried coax.

It also deprogramed most programable devices in the house,
and the rear motion sensor failed. The failure might not
have been related as the PIR was ~15 years old. None of
my radios, PC or HiFi/TV had any damage (other then
requiring BIOS resets, scanner/radio memories reprogramed
and the like)

I am not saying that you can save your radios,or even save
your home. If one of the killer bolts that appear to be so
common in FL manage to hit your home, all may be lost.
As bad and sad as that would be, it would be worse to
face the loss of your home insurance, a fine, and possible
trial and going to jail.

When I got my first SW my dad insisted that we "put
up the antenna correctly, and install a "lightning
protector". He went on to warn me that the protector
might save the house but the radio would be ruined.
And I had to disconnect my antenna anytime I wasn't
listening, and to never ever listen during storms.
He took the next day off, an unheard of event, the
only other time I can remember him taking off was for
my sister's birth, and we went to the local radio/tv
parts house and bought 100' of "antenna wire" with
dog bone insulators. When I married and moved from my
parents home, we carefully took the antenna down. It
was the antenna that got hit where I we now live.

I still have the a 6" piece with the melted blob of
copper that I keep on the wall below my first SW QSL
card to remind of the joys and sorrows of SWL.

My HF receivng antenna is at varaince withthe NEC.
The electrical inspector wrote me anice letter that
my departure fromt he NEC did not create any additonal
risk. I also have a ltter frmo my insurance company,
not the local agent, but hte home office sttaing my
varience is accepted as long as "woire that enter
your home are bonded as required by the NEC." A little
extra effort to be sure, but well worth it. If we get
nailed tonight and manage to get out alive, I will have
teh cold comfort of knowing that I have not only done
all I could, but htat I will face no legal of inusarnce
problems.

Flame me all you want, but if I can motovate one person
to take the proper steps to prevent lossing their house,
life or freedom I will feel good.

Terry

Old June 8th 05, 04:48 PM
DesignGuy

My HF receivng antenna is at varaince withthe NEC.
The electrical inspector wrote me anice letter that
my departure fromt he NEC did not create any additonal
risk. I also have a ltter frmo my insurance company,
not the local agent, but hte home office sttaing my
varience is accepted as long as "woire that enter
your home are bonded as required by the NEC." A little
extra effort to be sure, but well worth it. If we get
nailed tonight and manage to get out alive, I will have
teh cold comfort of knowing that I have not only done
all I could, but htat I will face no legal of inusarnce
problems.

I'd keep those letters in a safe deposit box, or at least at a different
location from your home, in case the worst does happen and you need proof.

#14 hard drawn antenna, the 9:1 matching tranformer,
[...]

I think being careful is a good idea, but you're remarkably pessimistic.

Last year one of my antennas took a direct hit. Everything in front of the
polyphaser was destroyed. Everything in back of it was fine. I'm sure a strike
could have done more damage - but it's not hopeless.

In my case, a strike would need to follow over 300 feet of underground coax to
get to the house.

Reading your house insurance policy contract is a good idea, in case there is
something in there. There are differences, but even though they're insured with
different companies in different states, the insurance contracts I've read for
homes in CT, FL and NJ look to be based on the same boiler plate form.

Insurance companies aren't likely to deny a claim if you can show you made even
a minimal good faith effort to have a safe system.

The courts would rule against them unless they could point to a specific
provision in your policy allowing them to deny coverage. The company sets the
terms of the contract, so anything in doubt will be decided in your favor.

On the other hand, if an insurance company inspected your house and saw an
antenna they might decide they don't want to insure you - but they'd need to
give you time to correct the problem - and you'd have some time to try reasoning
with them if you really have made (or are willing to make) an effort to make
sure the system is safe.

But frankly, I doubt antennas are on their minds. A friend with a serious
antenna farm got a letter threatening to drop him if he didn't put a second
railing on his back steps. Hard to imagine they could see the steps without
noticing the antennas.

Your concern someone could be tossed in jail for an unintentional building code
violation is incredible.
Old June 8th 05, 07:39 PM
FDR

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message

[...]

I'd have to concur. Unless you were so criminally negligent and put others
at risk, such as tenants, I see no reason you'd be prosecuted.

Also, insurance would pay your claim but then drop you.

Old June 8th 05, 07:48 PM
dxAce

FDR wrote:

[...]

And some won't pay... not necessarily for a lightening strike but for an auto
accident.

A word to the wise.. don't insure with AAA.

Trust me.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old June 8th 05, 09:03 PM
FDR

"dxAce" wrote in message

FDR wrote:

[...]

My sympathies.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old June 8th 05, 09:24 PM
dxAce

FDR wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

FDR wrote:

[...]

I actually appreciate that as it's been a real pain in the neck (no pun
intended) for the last (almost two years). But what the heck, it'll only take
about $30,000 to fix.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

#14 hard drawn antenna, the 9:1 matching tranformer,
[...]

Theoretically, it COULD happen, if the DA was in a bad mood or something
or they needed to make an example out of you. I think it would be more
likely that your insurance company would find some way to weasel out of
paying for the damage. Ever since insurers lost a bundle of cash
speculating on tech stocks they've been finding creative ways to cancel
policies, or not pay claims. They've been saying that labrador
retrievers look like rottweilers, therefore you have a dangerous dog and
that's an unacceptable risk. I figure that if your house burned down
because your antenna was hit, they'd say that the antenna was
technically illegal, therefore the damage is not covered. That may be
true, but I doubt that you'd be thrown in jail for it, unless your
entire family died and some bloviating politician wants to make an
example out of you for whatever reason. I also don't think that
lightning fires spread "as if there was an accelerant". My grandfather
once lived in a rural area where the power poles didn't have grounds.
When lightning hit the pole, foot long flames came out of the sockets.
It ruined everything electrical, and he had to rewire his house several
times, but it didn't burn down.

Old June 8th 05, 09:34 PM

"Mark S. Holden" wrote:

[...]

-------------------------
Here in central KY a good frined installed a CNB and din't ground the
mast/antenna. He got luck and a strike set his den on fire. About $5K.
Whne the adjuster came, he saw the remains of the antenna and
looded for a groundrod. Finding none, he asked my frined who replied
witht he truth. The claims was rejected, his policy canceled and the
electricla inspector came around that evening and gave him a citation.
He spent the next week talking to lawyers, and when it came out that
he had't grounded the mast per regs, they told him he was screwed.
So he got to pay for the repair, and go to court where he was fined
$500 being a first time offender.

In a isimalr case 6 or 7 years ago, a guy put a TV antenna on his
roof.
With no ground wire. During a T-storm he got lucky. Set the house on
fire and inspite of the heavy rain it was a complete loss. His wife
died
and the DA was going to press charges. The gent died the day before
the Grand Jury. I have a cousin who is a lawyer, I know, I hang my had
in
shame as I admit this in public, and I asked her about it at the time.

She was of the opinon that not only would he be indicted, but that he
would be convicted. This was before he got extra lucky and died.

Maybe the planing and zoning nannies are sane in your neck of the
woods, but around here they are petty nazis. If they catch you doing
"substantial"
work without a permit, you're screwed. If they find you installed your
own electric water heater, you get a nasty fine, if it is a gas water
heater, you are
really F$#%^. People have gone to jail. If it is your rental property,
you are in real trouble. You can avoid this by having a licensed
electrician or plumber "aprove" your work. They even go around to al
the home centers and get records of everyone who buys a water heaters.
They find a lot of Mr. Smiths and Jones who paid with cash. There was a
reading of a bill that required stores to gather legal IDs but it died
in commite. I am lucky because I have
a plumber and an electrician for friends and can get them to sign off
on my
work. But around here the government is so determined to protect us
they
won't let a little thing like reason or common sense to intrude on
their grand
plans. I don't worry too much about the new world order because it is
here
in central KY. When I retire we are going to move out of this over
protected
locale....Hell they even banned smokining restruaunts. And I don't even
smoke and didn't frequent places that catered to smokers.

Personal freedom and liberty?

Not aroundhere.

And I posed a worst case view. I have had two major hits that destroyed
myantennas and did no damage to my radio gear. I am glad I don't live
in
FL where the lightening strikes must be killer. I mean if MW stations
get
destroyed with the frequency stated in the lightening protection
thread,
it must be nasty down there. I aksed the engineerng staff of several
local MW outlets and none of them have had damage in over 20 years.
And one TV station was damaged by multiple strikes on the power/telco
systems. They lost a lot of PCs telecom gear etc, but their production
and transmission system came through unscathed. Had to use cell
phones for a couple of days. But like I said, my post assumed a worst
case conditino, one where the bolts are so large that protection is
doomed to fail. In such a case, the very least a ham/CBer/SWL should
do is to meet the local codes. Looking at the cable and DBS isntalls I
have seen all over the state, that level isn't all that hard or
expensive.
Run coax into "static" block, run (too thin) ground wire to (sub
standard)ground rod.

Terry

Old June 9th 05, 01:02 AM
w_tom

running dogg demonstrates why these pictures of the 'primary
protection' system require inspection:
http://www.tvtower.com/fpl.html

A household earth ground (another earth ground) is essential
also for human safety. The neutral wire failed inside a
transformer. Building's earth ground had been compromised.
But since the lights still worked, the homeowner did nothing.
To transport electricity back to the defective transformer,
the house use a natural gas line. Fortunately no one was home
when gas line gaskets finally failed at the meter; the house
exploded.

Many say lights work just fine. Therefore, don't worry. Be
happy. Even the military calls for inspections of these
grounding connections every 5 years or sooner. A homeowner
must take responsibility for his ground connections. The
consequences sometimes can be catastrophic as demonstrated by
multiple examples.

LongWire Antenna Jim B Shortwave 5 March 2nd 04 09:36 AM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Shortwave 16 December 13th 03 03:01 PM