Old June 20th 05, 08:14 PM
jamulc

Default Questions re Powering Receiver with a Gel Cell

Hello folks,

I'm interested powering my Drake R8B from a gel cell for outdoor use.
The use of gel cells is something I'm totally new to, so I was
wondering if perhaps some of you out there who may have some
knowledge/experience with this sorta thing might be able to give me
some pointers as to
* where I might look to find a fair deal on a gel cell
* what types of models/brands are worth consideration
* what might be required in order to hook the Drake up to a gel cell
for proper powering (wires and what-not; admittedly I'm new to
this...up to now, I've only powered the Drake from the power outlet in
the wall)
I would need something that would give me at least 20 hours or so of
usage before requiring recharge, and I'm only looking to power the R8B
with the unit (not any other accessories or the like).
Any help would be much appreciated.

jamulc

Old June 20th 05, 08:39 PM

I'm no expert on these matters, but I bought an SLA battery and charger
from these folks: www.zbattery.com. I bought a 'smaller' (fewer amp
hours) battery than you're looking for, but their service was good and
I have no complaints.

You'll want to pick up a fast-blow fuse at Radio Shack for the wires
leading from the battery to the spring clip terminals on the back of
the R8B.

If you aren't planning to travel with your R8B and just want an
alternative to your AC outlet, you might also consider an external DC
power supply. Several people in this group have said nice things about
the Astron supplies. You could also get an inexpensive one from Radio
Shack. I have one and it works fine, though I have to put a bit of
distance between it and the R8B to avoid a strange noise that's
somewhere between a 'hash' and a 'hum'.

Best,

Steve

Old June 20th 05, 10:12 PM
David

On 20 Jun 2005 12:14:25 -0700, "jamulc" wrote:

[...]

2 of these?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=228193&is=REG

Old June 21st 05, 04:44 AM
Okumba_Darkbear

http://www.dekabatteries.com
they should be able to help you out there.
plus you would be "Buying American"
there one of the few american battery manufacturers left.

Old June 21st 05, 12:24 PM

jamulc wrote:

[...]

------------------------------------
How much does the radio draw?
For example my R2000 draws about 300mA or 0.3 Amps.
For it to run 20hours, I would need at least 0.3X20, or "6 amp hours".
Given that gell cell makers figure the end point at a lower voltage
then
the r2000 will really operate from, I need a battery somewhat larger.
I have operated for slightly longer then 24Hrs from a 14A/H gell cell.

My primary backup batterey is a Pansonic 20A/H gell cell.
I have a 1A fuse in the +/positive leg.

I would first try contacting local alarm companies. They have to swap
out
farily new batteries from "high value" clients at regular peroids. You
wouldn't
want a swanky store to get burgeled because the battery went flat.

A 20Hr gell cell is HEAVY. It is a small lead acid battery, the acid is
gelled, so don't plan toting this sucker several miles into the woods.
I used to take my R2000 for picnics, but it is rough on desk top radios
to be handled "roughly" . I had a travel case of 3/8" plywood with foam

cushions, but I think the jarring was part or the cause for some failed
solder connections. I know carry a DX398, no nearly the radio, but a
LOT smaller, and will run or days from a 6A/Hr 6V gell cell, or even
operate from a simple PV array I built from scalvaged "solar night
lights".

Terry

Old June 21st 05, 01:27 PM

The R8B draws a lot of current...2 amps. So, he's going to need a
serious battery. For 20 hours of usage between charges, he'll need a
40A/H battery if he's to avoid 'deep discharge'. That's going to be
heavy, and expensive.

Steve

Old June 21st 05, 02:02 PM

sdanie wrote:

The R8B draws a lot of current...2 amps. So, he's going to need a
serious battery. For 20 hours of usage between charges, he'll need a
40A/H battery if he's to avoid 'deep discharge'. That's going to be
heavy, and expensive.

Steve
At that current level it isn't really practical.
Like you said a 40A gell cell is going to be HEAVY.
Unless he is at home, or in a camper he needs to get a
portable SW that will use less power.

Terry

Old June 21st 05, 02:20 PM

dxAce wrote:
used to lug two deep cycle batteries to dxpeditions... it wasn't that
much of
a hassle as many of them have carry handles.

dxAce
Michigan
USA
Ah, a man unafraid of exercise!