Old July 10th 05, 02:36 AM
D Peter Maus

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
D Peter Maus wrote:

Quite sure. I also found one at RS this weekend that is rated at
1.3 V.

I'd like to know who makes it and what the chemistry is. Standard
white LEDs are blue and use a phosphor to convert it to white light. I
have data sheets on over 100 different types of white LEDs and none are
under 3 volts.

Clearly you don't believe me. So the back and forth isn't getting
either of us anywhere.

Look up LED's at Parts Express. You'll find all of them are 2.2
and under.

Go to RS and look in the drawers. But if you think you're going
to get anyone there to give you a manufacturer's name, you're going
to be disappointed.

Likewise the grab boxes at a hamfest.

I have no doubt that your data supports your position. The only
logical conclusion to be drawn is that either your data is
incomplete, or the LED's sold by Parts Express, RS, or the hamfest
vendor don't exist.

That would make my 3000-1 T/O something of an oddity, and I
supposed I should be making a posting on eBay right away. Certainly
would go a long way toward that estate in the Yukon I've been
dreaming about.

Have a good weekend, Michael.

Old July 10th 05, 03:37 AM
Michael A. Terrell

D Peter Maus wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
D Peter Maus wrote:

Quite sure. I also found one at RS this weekend that is rated at
1.3 V.

I'd like to know who makes it and what the chemistry is. Standard
white LEDs are blue and use a phosphor to convert it to white light. I
have data sheets on over 100 different types of white LEDs and none are
under 3 volts.

Clearly you don't believe me. So the back and forth isn't getting
either of us anywhere.

Look up LED's at Parts Express. You'll find all of them are 2.2
and under.

Parts Express is not a fountain of knowledge and they give the same
operating specs for all colors of LEDs which is typical of a surplus
store.

Go to RS and look in the drawers. But if you think you're going
to get anyone there to give you a manufacturer's name, you're going
to be disappointed.

www.radioshack.com lists one white LED, stock number 276-320 with
these specs:

Typical MCD is 1100. Size is T-1- 3/4 or 5mm. Clear lens color. 20mA
(max). Typical Voltage is 3.6V. Comes as package of 1.

Do you have a different stock number I can request the specs for?

Likewise the grab boxes at a hamfest.

I have no doubt that your data supports your position. The only
logical conclusion to be drawn is that either your data is
incomplete, or the LED's sold by Parts Express, RS, or the hamfest
vendor don't exist.

There is a lot of discusion about white LEDS and driver circuits for
1.5 volt operation on news:alt.binaries.schematics.electronic I'm sure
they would love to find LEDs that don't require drivers.

That would make my 3000-1 T/O something of an oddity, and I
supposed I should be making a posting on eBay right away. Certainly
would go a long way toward that estate in the Yukon I've been
dreaming about.

Have a good weekend, Michael.

Maybe, if hurricane Dennis is gone in time. It doesn't look likely.
--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Old July 10th 05, 04:00 AM
Peter Maus

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
D Peter Maus wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

D Peter Maus wrote:

[...]

Sure, I'll get on that. It's about a 50 drive from where I am.
For a stock number. Not a problem.

Like I said, you clearly don't believe me. And typical of
internet discussions, now you've chosen to disbelieve outside
information which has been made available. Not surprising. And now,
asking now for MORE information, also suitable for dismissal. As I
said, the back and forth becomes pointless.

My original post still stands. In the conflict between your data
and my experience, the radio breaks the tie with a clear voice.

The only thing I can suggest, is start hitting some hamfests, and
try it for yourself.

And people wonder why some members stop posting here.

Old July 10th 05, 06:18 AM
Michael A. Terrell

Peter Maus wrote:

Sure, I'll get on that. It's about a 50 drive from where I am.
For a stock number. Not a problem.

I didn't ask you to drive anywhere, I simply asked if you had the
part number of what you were talking about.

Like I said, you clearly don't believe me. And typical of
internet discussions, now you've chosen to disbelieve outside
information which has been made available. Not surprising. And now,
asking now for MORE information, also suitable for dismissal. As I
said, the back and forth becomes pointless.

You are absolutely right. Since you either can't, or won't back up
your position there is no further reason for me to listen to you.

My original post still stands. In the conflict between your data
and my experience, the radio breaks the tie with a clear voice.

Whatever. All I asked was questions to help me track down a source
of a part that works at less than half the standard voltage for a
typical white LED and defies the manufacture's data from every source
I've checked..

The only thing I can suggest, is start hitting some hamfests, and
try it for yourself.

I went to the only hamfest within my driving range last fall and I
didn't see anyone selling any components, let alone LEDs.

Old July 10th 05, 02:02 PM
D Peter Maus

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

You are absolutely right. Since you either can't, or won't back up
your position there is no further reason for me to listen to you.

Ah, yes. The song of the armchair quarterback. The results
are unpalatable, so you dismiss any information that supports them,
and then make accusations of obstruction.

God, I love the internet.

My original post still stands. In the conflict between your data
and my experience, the radio breaks the tie with a clear voice.

All I asked was questions to help me track down a source
of a part that works at less than half the standard voltage for a
typical white LED and defies the manufacture's data from every source
I've checked..

And I gave you what information I had. The one source I gave
you, you dismissed as being unreliable. Ok, that's fine. We're not
debating a doctoral thesis, here. This is not groundbreaking
research. In fact, on the map of things that might be debated in the
group, this doesn't rise to the level of "Important." I substituted
a white LED for an incandscent dial light. It's as simple a matter
as that. It worked. And it clashes with the information you have.
I have no doubt that's true. It's obvious that the information you
have is incomplete. There's no crime in that. I've got data sheets
for audio chips that are less than 6 months out of release. They're
already so far out of date as to be no more than a curiosity. If
you're comfortable with the information you have, by all means, you
be comfortable.

You know, this entire issue is laughable, in light of the fact
that if you really want to believe that nothing exists outside your
data sheets, you can always take the next highest available voltage
on the T/O: 3V. Or 4.5. It's simplicity itself to simply tap the
battery box in a different location until you get the voltage you wish.

I didn't do that. I worked fine. Maybe I used LED's from
another planet. I wouldn't know. They weren't marked. They were
bought 100 for a buck at a hamfest in Waukesha. Same hamfest where
I bought 5 peltier junctions for $15. I'm guessing Digi-Key says
those those don't exist, either.

I almost bought a pair of Altec A-2 speakers at the same show.
But let's not even BEGIN to address how I would have got THOSE home.

I gave you what information I had, and you dismissed it out of
hand. I gave you an easily accessible source of parts that do fall
outside the limits of your data, and you dismissed that out of hand,
as well. I answered each of your questions to allow you to see for
yourself, and you dismissed the answers out of hand.

If you think I'm going to go any further after that, you're
mistaken.

Now, I sincerely hope the rest of your weekend is as much fun
as mine. I'm going to go assist with one of the helicopter shuttle
crews at the race track.

Be still my heart.

Old July 10th 05, 03:28 PM
David

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:02:47 GMT, D Peter Maus
Can't somebody make an LED and a DC/DC converter in one little chip?

Old July 10th 05, 03:54 PM
D Peter Maus

wrote:
Can't somebody make an LED and a DC/DC converter in one little chip?

I don't see any reason why not.

Old July 10th 05, 08:51 PM
Telamon

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

D Peter Maus wrote:

Quite sure. I also found one at RS this weekend that is rated at
1.3 V.

I'd like to know who makes it and what the chemistry is. Standard
white LEDs are blue and use a phosphor to convert it to white light. I
have data sheets on over 100 different types of white LEDs and none are
under 3 volts.

Most the various color LED's I have seen are in the range Peter
indicated 1.7V -2.2V for fV but they lase before they reach their
forward voltage. They reach their specified light output power at the
forward voltage.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old July 10th 05, 08:54 PM
Telamon

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Peter Maus wrote:

Sure, I'll get on that. It's about a 50 drive from where I am.
For a stock number. Not a problem.

I didn't ask you to drive anywhere, I simply asked if you had the
part number of what you were talking about.

Try DigiKey. This is not the only place there goto

http://dkc1.digikey.com/US/PDF/T052/Section.html

and down load "Section O (1522-1584) - Optoelectronics, LEDs, LCDs,
Lasers, Displays"

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old July 19th 05, 02:09 AM
PowerHouse Communications

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Peter Maus wrote:

Sure, I'll get on that. It's about a 50 drive from where I am.
For a stock number. Not a problem.

I didn't ask you to drive anywhere, I simply asked if you had the
part number of what you were talking about.

Try DigiKey. This is not the only place there goto

http://dkc1.digikey.com/US/PDF/T052/Section.html

and down load "Section O (1522-1584) - Optoelectronics, LEDs, LCDs,
Lasers, Displays"

Specifically, the first White, actually Ultra White LED I found that
operated at 1.5V is on page 1550 in the above PDF file. Made by Lumex and
under heading "DSP LEDs Low Voltage LEDs, 1.5V"

Quote: (Sorry about the spacing... Lousy OE Newsreader...)
KEY:
PKG Type, Emitted Color, Lens Color, Forward V (Min), Current ), mcd @
2V, Angle, Digi-Key Part#, Price each (1,10,100), Lumex Part#
5mm | Ultra White | Water Clear | 1.5V | 2.5 | 3000 | 30° | 67-1877-ND |
3.39 | 2.83 | 2.55 | SSL-DSP5093UWC

Here's a link to the Spec sheet for this LED...
http://www.lumex.com/images/pdf/SSL-DSP5093UWC.pdf
And webpage it was linked from:
http://www.lumex.com/product.asp?id=1006106

According to the SPEC sheet, it was dated just about 2-years ago, so I would
assume that these 1.5V white LEDs have been available at least that long...