Old July 10th 05, 06:27 AM
Who Needs The ARRL?

Default Who needs the ARRL, anyway?

The ARRL is not a necessary institution these days. It is self-propagating,
demands hefty dues and represents less than half of the licensed Amateurs in
the United States.
Besides, what does one get for the $40.00 per annum (or is it more?) fee? A
glossy magazine rife with advertisements? Admission to 'private' sections of
the ARRL web site? A monthly 'bulletin' sent to your email address? (more
spam)
Oh, wait. ARRL members get to vote on proposed rule changes, too. As if the
FCC has ever given that much credence.

I guess there are still some old warhorses out and about who feel that it is
a mark of distinction to have the ARRL logo on their QSL cards...especially
those who boast of being part of the elite few, the proud, the Life Members.

One could likewise spend their Amateur Radio $$ on bigger and better things,
such as paying good money after bad to join the Ten Ten Club, yet another
wasteful expenditure of hard-earned money. Why not start a Twenty-Twenty
Club? One could double the dues paid to the Ten Ten Club and claim twice the
elitism.
The Twenty-Twenty Club could do as the Ten-Tenners do...refuse to speak with
those not a member of their snooty group. Double the frequency, double the
elitism.

CQ Contest, anyone?

Old July 10th 05, 12:06 PM
Joe S.

"Who Needs The ARRL?" JIm@GuessWho wrote in message
[...]

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 +10dB +20dB
Troll-O-Meter

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 +10dB +20dB
Dumbass-O-Meter

Old July 10th 05, 02:14 PM
AKC owns this NG

Who Needs The ARRL? wrote:
[...]

That's just twitlips convincing himself and nobody else that he can
write. The queenboy aint even a ham.

Old July 10th 05, 03:46 PM
Caveat Lector

ONLY GAME IN TOWN

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old July 10th 05, 03:50 PM
Korbin Dallas

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 06:14:19 -0700, AKC owns this NG wrote:

Who Needs The ARRL? wrote:

I'm surprised you found the news groups since you seem too stupid to
understand that the ARRL does...

--
Korbin Dallas
The name was changed to protect the guilty.

Old July 10th 05, 06:54 PM
Tim

Seeing 50 & 60 year old men paste "ARRL Member" stickers
all over their cars, then go out on the highway and chase truck
drivers around to see what frequency they are on, has got to one
of the most hilarious things anyone has ever seen.

Tim

Old July 10th 05, 09:36 PM
Cmd Buzz Corey

Who Needs The ARRL? wrote:

Oh, wait. ARRL members get to vote on proposed rule changes, too. As if the
FCC has ever given that much credence.

You don't have to be an ARRL member to vote on proposed rule changes,
but I guess a troll wouldn't know that.
Old July 10th 05, 09:38 PM
Cmd Buzz Corey

Tim wrote:
Seeing 50 & 60 year old men paste "ARRL Member" stickers
all over their cars, then go out on the highway and chase truck
drivers around to see what frequency they are on, has got to one
of the most hilarious things anyone has ever seen.

Tim

Have you seen it? How many? Where were they? What highway? How do you
know they were chasing trucks?
Old July 10th 05, 11:33 PM
Not Roger 2

"Cmd Buzz Corey" wrote in message
Who Needs The ARRL? wrote:

Oh, wait. ARRL members get to vote on proposed rule changes, too. As if

the
FCC has ever given that much credence.

You don't have to be an ARRL member to vote on proposed rule changes,
but I guess a troll wouldn't know that.

Read the post again, this time without moving your lips. Nowhere did it
state that one must be an ARRL member in order to vote on proposed rule
changes.

Old July 10th 05, 11:47 PM
Mike Coslo

Cmd Buzz Corey wrote:
Tim wrote:

Seeing 50 & 60 year old men paste "ARRL Member" stickers
all over their cars, then go out on the highway and chase truck
drivers around to see what frequency they are on, has got to one
of the most hilarious things anyone has ever seen.

Tim

Have you seen it? How many? Where were they? What highway? How do you
know they were chasing trucks?

And whats the deal with 50 and 60 y.o. men anyhow? That's the age when
people become president, move into the upper management positions, and
generally run things....

sunnavagun!

- Mike KB3EIA -